The Largest Air Burst on Earth

In summary, on June 30, 1908, a "space bomb" exploded in the remote Siberian region of Tunguska, knocking down 80 million trees in an area of 770 square miles. The explosion, known as an "air burst", occurred four to six miles above the ground and left no crater. Scientists believe the "space bomb" was either a comet or asteroid made of rock, metal, or ice. To determine the largest "space bomb" that could fall to the ground before exploding in midair, a web-based program called Earth Impact Effects was used. Small "space bombs" may burn up in the atmosphere, but larger ones can make it to the ground and be found in places like
JohnWDailey
On June 30, 1908, the remote Siberian region of Tunguska made headline news when an explosion knocked down 80 million trees in an area of only 770 square miles. The mystery was that there was no crater, which led to the assumption that the space bomb responsible for the catastrophe detonated in midair--a behavior scientists call an "air burst". The explosion must have happened four to six miles above the actual lands of Tunguska.

We know that the space bombs that visit Earth, be they comets or asteroids, comprise of any of three materials--rock, metal or ice, and each reacts differently to the rising pressure associated with descending to the Earth's atmosphere at high speed.

Let's say that we have a scenario where a space bomb is due to explode four to six miles above the Earth and duplicated it three times so that we have one scenario where the space bomb is made of rock, another of metal and one more of ice. At an altitude of four to six miles, what is the largest space bomb from each scenario that would fall down before being detonated in midair?

Likes Hannah7h
Physics news on Phys.org
"Space bomb"? This sounds artificial. This is an entirely natural phenomenon.

Likes davenn
JohnWDailey said:
On June 30, 1908, the remote Siberian region of Tunguska made headline news when an explosion knocked down 80 million trees in an area of only 770 square miles. The mystery was that there was no crater, which led to the assumption that the space bomb responsible for the catastrophe detonated in midair--a behavior scientists call an "air burst". The explosion must have happened four to six miles above the actual lands of Tunguska.

We know that the space bombs that visit Earth, be they comets or asteroids, comprise of any of three materials--rock, metal or ice, and each reacts differently to the rising pressure associated with descending to the Earth's atmosphere at high speed.

Let's say that we have a scenario where a space bomb is due to explode four to six miles above the Earth and duplicated it three times so that we have one scenario where the space bomb is made of rock, another of metal and one more of ice. At an altitude of four to six miles, what is the largest space bomb from each scenario that would fall down before being detonated in midair?

hmmm... I can't remember how to figure that out. But I did find a very fun app for that last year: Impact: Earth! A meteor/comet impact simulator [PF]

Devilishly fun.

"Space bomb" is anybody from space that detonates on contact with Earth, be it on the surface or the atmosphere. If you want to be conversational, be general. "Meteor" and "meteorite" won't do because such changes in name implies a change in mechanics and chemistry, which there really isn't.

JohnWDailey said:
"Space bomb" is anybody from space that detonates on contact with Earth, be it on the surface or the atmosphere.

not in any reliable scientific literature I have ever read. please don't use this term ... yet another garbage pop-science termDave

You know, it doesn't really hurt to be conversational.

JohnWDailey said:
"Meteor" and "meteorite" won't do because such changes in name implies a change in mechanics and chemistry, which there really isn't.

The term used by astronomers is generally "bolide" or "superbolide", though there is no official term from the IAU. See here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolide

JohnWDailey said:

According to the table on this wiki page, a stony object 50 meters across detonates around 5-6 miles in the air. Based on the table, it looks like the altitude depends on the diameter of the object, so a larger object would explode closer to the ground. I'm guessing the diameter of the object would need to be about 55 meters or so do get an explosion at 4-5 miles in altitude. I don't know what the diameter might be for non-stony objects.

Likes JohnWDailey
Drakkith said:
According to the table on this wiki page, a stony object 50 meters across detonates around 5-6 miles in the air. Based on the table, it looks like the altitude depends on the diameter of the object, so a larger object would explode closer to the ground.

Begs the question... Why don't all small ones burn up very high up? How come so many make it to the ground and are picked up in places like Antarctica? Are all small ones the result of a bigger one exploding high up?

CWatters said:
Begs the question... Why don't all small ones burn up very high up? How come so many make it to the ground and are picked up in places like Antarctica? Are all small ones the result of a bigger one exploding high up?

I assume they were much bigger, but most of the material was vaporized during the travel through the atmosphere. I'm no expert though, so I have no idea about all the details.

Drakkith said:
I assume they were much bigger, but most of the material was vaporized during the travel through the atmosphere. I'm no expert though, so I have no idea about all the details.

@D H struck me as the most "experty" person regarding meteors, here at the forum.
He taught me a lesson or two about the Tunguska event.

:bow:

Likes Drakkith
JohnWDailey said:
You know, it doesn't really hurt to be conversational.
I'm not sure about that. Sloppy language can lead to massive misunderstandings and "it really doesn't hurt" to learn and to use the general accepted terms in a technical argument. If a symbol in a mathematical procedure is suddenly changed then you could expect a seriously wrong answer - likewise with a change of words.

Likes Vanadium 50 and davenn
bolide. A word of Greek origin meaning ball or quasi-spherical object. A round rock is a bolide

What caused "The Largest Air Burst on Earth"?

The largest air burst on Earth was caused by a meteorite entering Earth's atmosphere and exploding above the Tunguska region in Siberia, Russia in 1908. It is estimated that the meteorite was about 50-60 meters in diameter and had a mass of about 10-15 megatons.

How powerful was "The Largest Air Burst on Earth"?

The explosion from the Tunguska event is estimated to have released energy equivalent to around 1,000 Hiroshima atomic bombs. It is considered to be the most powerful impact event in recorded history.

What was the impact of "The Largest Air Burst on Earth" on the environment?

The Tunguska event had a significant impact on the environment, with trees being flattened and burned in an area of over 770 square miles. The shockwave from the explosion also caused damage to buildings and structures in the surrounding area.

Could "The Largest Air Burst on Earth" happen again?

While it is unlikely that an event of the same magnitude as the Tunguska event will occur again in the near future, smaller air bursts from meteorite impacts do happen on a regular basis. NASA estimates that a meteorite enters Earth's atmosphere and explodes once a year on average.

How do scientists study "The Largest Air Burst on Earth"?

Scientists study the Tunguska event through various methods, including analyzing tree rings, studying eyewitness accounts, and examining the chemical and physical properties of the impact site. They also use computer simulations to better understand the impact and its effects on the environment.