Largest Known Star: Introducing Myself and Cosmology

• Thread starter Star-Gazer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Star
In summary, the pictures in the slide show are not actual images of stars, but instead are drawings or re-coloured images of the Sun to give an idea of what a star might look like. We cannot resolve any star other than the Sun with a single telescope, but we can get some information about sizes using interferometry with multiple optical telescopes. These techniques still don't give you the kind of detail implied in the slide show.
Star-Gazer
This is the first time I am posting here. I thought I whould show this website as a way to introduce myself. I'm interested in anything dealing with science, especially cosmology. I have always liked showing this website to everyone because it really shows how small we are.

http://www.techdo.com/images/largest-know-star.htm

Space news on Phys.org
Do you know how you measure a stars size which you can't resolve in telescopes? The largets know star that can be resolved is Betelgeuse (as far as I remember)

It's important to note that all of the 'images' of the stars that are not the Sun in that slide show are not actual telescope images (apart from the Eta Carina nebula that is actually much bigger than that slide show suggests?). They look like either drawings or re-coloured images of the Sun to give an idea of what that star might look like. We cannot resolve any star other than the Sun with a single telescope (even the biggest and best we have) although we can get some information about sizes using interferometry with multiple optical telescopes. These techniques still don't give you the kind of detail implied in that slide show. Not being critical of it, it's quite cool, but just bear that in mind since it isn't clear from the images alone.

What is normally done to estimate the size of a star is to measure its temperature by measuring its colour (blue is hotter than yellow which is hotter than red). We then have theories that tell us based on the colour and type of star (which we can determine by other aspects of the spectrum) how big the Star must be. These theories have been checked and calibrated on stars where we can measure the size directly, either through eclipsing binaries or optical interferometry (google or ask for more info on any confusing or new terms!) so we have some confidence that they work for stars were we can't get such direct information.

I have done quite much astrophysics, but that was a time ago..

I know that the pictures in that perticular slide was'nt real ones, and I know of the temperatur-luminosity-size relations.

Maybe my question was not specific enough:-)

But you shed some light on how we can measure stars size directly, thanx!

1. What is the largest known star in the universe?

The largest known star in the universe is UY Scuti, a red supergiant star located in the constellation Scutum. It has a radius of approximately 1,700 times that of the Sun.

2. How do scientists measure the size of stars?

Scientists use a unit of measurement called solar radius to measure the size of stars. This is based on the radius of our own Sun, which is approximately 695,700 kilometers.

3. How does the size of a star affect its lifespan?

The size of a star plays a crucial role in its lifespan. Generally, the larger the star, the shorter its lifespan will be. This is because larger stars have more mass and therefore burn through their fuel at a faster rate, leading to a shorter lifespan.

4. Can we see the largest known star with the naked eye?

Unfortunately, UY Scuti is not visible to the naked eye. It is located about 5,000 light years away from Earth, making it too dim to be seen without the aid of a telescope.

5. Why is studying the largest known star important in cosmology?

Studying the largest known star, as well as other stars, is important in cosmology because it helps us understand the structure and evolution of the universe. By studying the properties of stars, we can gain insights into the processes that govern the formation and evolution of galaxies, including our own Milky Way.