The Larry Walters Fan Club

• Thread starter eNtRopY
  • Start date

eNtRopY

I have to say, there are few people from whom I find inspiration, but Larry Walters is definately on the list.

http://www.markbarry.com/amazing/lawnchairman.html [Broken]

If anyone knows of any other under-dogs who fulfilled their life-long dreams (despite the odds), let me know who these people are. I want to make a webpage dedicated to ordinary heros.

eNtRopY

Last edited by a moderator:

Zero

Originally posted by eNtRopY
I have to say, there are few people from whom I find inspiration, but Larry Walters is definately on the list.

If anyone knows of any other under-dogs who fulfilled their life-long dreams (despite the odds), let me know who these people are. I want to make a webpage dedicated to ordinary heros.

eNtRopY
I hate to say it, but your 'hero' was a loser! He was broke, never got married, never had kids, and committed suicide.

Oops!

eNtRopY

Re: Re: the Larry Walters Fan Club

Originally posted by Zero
I hate to say it, but your 'hero' was a loser!
That is where you are dead wrong. He is a hero because he had a dream, and he fulfilled it... PERIOD!

Who cares if he never married or had kids? These things obviously weren't part of his dream. Do you honestly believe that a wife and kids will bring automatically bring fulfillment?

About the suicide.... It doesn't matter that he commited suicide. If life starts to suck, and it's not getting any better, why not end the suffering? Besides, once you fulfill your dream, is there anything else to stick around for?

eNtRopY

P.S. The only people I have any shred of respect for are those who realize their dreams.

Didn't someone post on this story before? I just read about him a couple weeks back. Sounds crazy, but I guess if I had a few too many beers in me... who knows?

Zero

Re: Re: Re: the Larry Walters Fan Club

That is where you are dead wrong. He is a hero because he had a dream, and he fulfilled it... PERIOD!

Who cares if he never married or had kids? These things obviously weren't part of his dream. Do you honestly believe that a wife and kids will bring automatically bring fulfillment?

About the suicide.... It doesn't matter that he commited suicide. If life starts to suck, and it's not getting any better, why not end the suffering? Besides, once you fulfill your dream, is there anything else to stick around for?

eNtRopY

P.S. The only people I have any shred of respect for are those who realize their dreams.
LOL
Ok, I'll stop messing with your hero now...

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

eNtRopY
Entropy, I know that I have a killer example for you, but for the life of me I can't put my finger on it yet...

I know this is not the flavor of things that you have in mind, but as a side note, I suggest the story of Einstein and the Cosmological Constant.