The Larry Walters Fan Club

• Thread starter eNtRopY
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fan
In summary, the conversation discussed Larry Walters as an inspiration for fulfilling his life-long dream of flying in a lawn chair attached to helium balloons. The conversation also mentioned the desire to find and highlight other individuals who have achieved their dreams against all odds. The conversation then shifted to a debate about the definition of a hero and the idea of ending one's life after fulfilling a dream. The conversation ended with a suggestion to look into the story of Einstein and the Cosmological Constant as another example of achieving a dream.
eNtRopY
I have to say, there are few people from whom I find inspiration, but Larry Walters is definitely on the list.

http://www.markbarry.com/amazing/lawnchairman.html [Broken]

If anyone knows of any other under-dogs who fulfilled their life-long dreams (despite the odds), let me know who these people are. I want to make a webpage dedicated to ordinary heros.

eNtRopY

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by eNtRopY
I have to say, there are few people from whom I find inspiration, but Larry Walters is definitely on the list.

If anyone knows of any other under-dogs who fulfilled their life-long dreams (despite the odds), let me know who these people are. I want to make a webpage dedicated to ordinary heros.

eNtRopY

I hate to say it, but your 'hero' was a loser! He was broke, never got married, never had kids, and committed suicide.

Oops!

Originally posted by Zero
I hate to say it, but your 'hero' was a loser!

That is where you are dead wrong. He is a hero because he had a dream, and he fulfilled it... PERIOD!

Who cares if he never married or had kids? These things obviously weren't part of his dream. Do you honestly believe that a wife and kids will bring automatically bring fulfillment?

About the suicide... It doesn't matter that he commited suicide. If life starts to suck, and it's not getting any better, why not end the suffering? Besides, once you fulfill your dream, is there anything else to stick around for?

eNtRopY

P.S. The only people I have any shred of respect for are those who realize their dreams.

Didn't someone post on this story before? I just read about him a couple weeks back. Sounds crazy, but I guess if I had a few too many beers in me... who knows?

That is where you are dead wrong. He is a hero because he had a dream, and he fulfilled it... PERIOD!

Who cares if he never married or had kids? These things obviously weren't part of his dream. Do you honestly believe that a wife and kids will bring automatically bring fulfillment?

About the suicide... It doesn't matter that he commited suicide. If life starts to suck, and it's not getting any better, why not end the suffering? Besides, once you fulfill your dream, is there anything else to stick around for?

eNtRopY

P.S. The only people I have any shred of respect for are those who realize their dreams.
LOL
Ok, I'll stop messing with your hero now...

eNtRopY

Entropy, I know that I have a killer example for you, but for the life of me I can't put my finger on it yet...

I know this is not the flavor of things that you have in mind, but as a side note, I suggest the story of Einstein and the Cosmological Constant.

1. Who is Larry Walters?

Larry Walters was an American truck driver who gained national attention in 1982 for flying a lawn chair attached with helium balloons up to 16,000 feet in the air. He became known as "Lawnchair Larry" and his story inspired the Pixar movie "Up".

2. What is "The Larry Walters Fan Club"?

The Larry Walters Fan Club is an online community dedicated to celebrating the life and legacy of Larry Walters. It is a place for fans to share stories, memories, and photos of Larry and his famous lawn chair flight.

3. How can I join "The Larry Walters Fan Club"?

You can join "The Larry Walters Fan Club" by visiting our website and filling out the membership form. It is completely free to join and you will receive updates on club activities and events.

4. What activities does "The Larry Walters Fan Club" organize?

"The Larry Walters Fan Club" organizes various events and activities to honor Larry Walters. These include annual lawn chair flights, movie screenings of "Up", and fundraising events for charities that Larry supported.

5. Can I share my own stories and photos of Larry Walters on the club's website?

Absolutely! "The Larry Walters Fan Club" encourages members to share their personal stories, photos, and memories of Larry on our website. This helps to keep his legacy alive and inspire others with his incredible story.