Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The last castrato singer

1. Jul 27, 2009 #1

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Alessandro Moreschi (1858-1922) was the last castrato singer in the Sistine Chapel.

In 1902 and 1904, he made some recordings, so that we still can hear how a castrato singer sounded like.

Here is his wikipedia biography:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alessandro_Moreschi

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2009 #2
    For a moment there I thought this was going to be about a castrato that was still alive. I was begining to wonder when they had stopped doing that.

4. Jul 27, 2009 #3

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Good job that the idea of singers undergoing huge numbers of weird surgical procedures for their fans has died out.

5. Jul 27, 2009 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Dolly Parton is still around, isn't she?

6. Jul 27, 2009 #5
  7. Jul 27, 2009 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That guy is terrible!

8. Jul 27, 2009 #7
    I took singing lessons to learn how to project from my diaphragm and did a lot of breathing exercises but it hasn't helped, I still can't sing well. What's my next move?

9. Jul 27, 2009 #8

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Two bricks?

10. Jul 27, 2009 #9
    Never mind. My voice coach just told me. :eek: I've decided I don't have an ear for music anyway. Not since I tried to learn the post-impressionist painting style.

11. Jul 27, 2009 #10
    It's not bad, but I really prefer Sarah Brightman's version. Unfortunately, although Sarah has many versions of Ave Maria on YouTube, I don't think they are the good ones...so I had to upload this myself

http://www.mediafire.com/?fryiez5nywn [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  12. Jul 27, 2009 #11
    Do you sing through the nose? Certainly wouldn't want to cut off the nose to spite the voice.

13. Jul 27, 2009 #12
    I'm running out of things to cut off. My legs were blown off in the war so I had to lay down my arms.

14. Jul 29, 2009 #13
    speaking of which, i thought this thread was going to be about michael jackson. there was once a rumor that he was a castrato.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook