Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Last Chinese Eunuch

1. Mar 6, 2009 #1

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A strange but interesting story..

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-fg-china-eunuchs6-2009mar06,0,7938113.story

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2009 #2
    Alrighty now, I have read this a few times, and it has left me postless, which must be the same as speechless:bugeye: What a weird life this person had.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2009
  4. Mar 13, 2009 #3

turbo

Gold Member

What a horrid thing! At least the eunuchs had a chance at gaining wealth and power. The castrati who were castrated to keep their voices from deepening probably had far fewer opportunities, and if their singing-voices failed them, oh well!

5. Mar 13, 2009 #4

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I would really love to read this biography when it becomes available. Such an unusual piece of history. It sounds like the eunuchs were servants but some became more like concubines.

6. Mar 13, 2009 #5

Evo

Staff: Mentor

In the harems of the Ottomans, eunuchs were guardians.

7. Mar 14, 2009 #6

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

As they were among the Byzantines.

In both realms, several rose to positions of great power and wealth; since they were, for example, physically unable to found any rival dynasty, the emperor/sultan could rely on their loyalty and when the eunuch died, whatever riches he had amassed reverted to the state (that was the case in the Ottoman empire, at least).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook