The latest from the farm: 9, no, 10, no, 11 wild turkeys; or could it be 20?

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Main Question or Discussion Point

Mom and eight babies. Tsu has been trying to get a good camera shot. Yesterday I saw them walking past the front porch with Bun kitty trailing the crowd by about twenty feet. When momma turned around, Bun dropped back, so I think Bun and momma turkey have already met.

I did run and grab the camera but the shot wasn't very good. They had already walked too far away from the window.

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
In a way this is pretty cool. We loved our dogs, but now that they're all gone the wildlife has started moving in.

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I love watching wild critters! I'm anxiously awaiting photos.

Evo
Mentor
That is so cool. I can't wait to see pictures!!!! All I ever got was a possum inside my house.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
They were just right outside the office door. If I quitely move towards the door, with just glass screen door between us, they don't notice. Unfortunately the camera is up in the house.

ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
2018 Award
Wait..... I don't remember 9 wild turkeys in The 12 Days of Christmas!

Zz.

Tsu
Gold Member
You''re confused again Zapper. Here. Have another green apple martini... :biggrin:

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
We have a family of wild turkeys too. Two adults and 6-7 off-spring.

I'll dig up some pics, too.

We have plenty of deer, rabbits, raccoons, skunks, possums, a variety of smaller rodents, a few ground squirrels (like chipmunks), and way too many regular squirrels, and occassionally a fox. My wife found a baby fox (kit) in our backyard a few years ago. She took it to a wildlife rehabilitator who also had a kit.

Once in a while we see a coyote, and on rare occassions a black bear wanders into the area. Haven't heard of one recently though.

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Tsu said:
You''re confused again Zapper. Here. Have another green apple martini... :biggrin:
Ah, martinis are much better! 9 Wild Turkey's is going to leave Ivan with one heck of a hangover. :biggrin:

dduardo
Staff Emeritus
Time to get the cranberry sauce :tongue2:

Evo
Mentor
dduardo said:
Time to get the cranberry sauce :tongue2:
<private message to Tsu & Ivan - don't invite dduardo over in November or December> :bugeye:

They are such clever birds, my dog plays with them,herds them in and out of the woods and when they are done with her they roost on a low branch, just inches out of her reach.
They seem to know the dog won't harm them, and actually allow her to get very close{butt sniffen close} :tongue2:

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Astronuc said:
We have a family of wild turkeys too. Two adults and 6-7 off-spring.

I'll dig up some pics, too.

We have plenty of deer, rabbits, raccoons, skunks, possums, a variety of smaller rodents, a few ground squirrels (like chipmunks), and way too many regular squirrels, and occassionally a fox. My wife found a baby fox (kit) in our backyard a few years ago. She took it to a wildlife rehabilitator who also had a kit.

Once in a while we see a coyote, and on rare occassions a black bear wanders into the area. Haven't heard of one recently though.
Yikes! I definitely wouldn't want to see a bear wandering around. Post some pics!

Btw, what do you all think? One day I saw what looked like a large dog running down in the pasture. At first this looked strange because his legs looked disproportionately long for his body, but what nearly sat me down was when he hopped a five foot fence like it wasn't even there. It looked like he barely hopped; more like a big step! At first I assumed that this was a coyote but it was too large for that wasn't it? It must have been a wolf? I don't think we even have wolves around here though. :confused:

Evo
Mentor
Oh how cute!!!!!! :approve:

wow and you even have chairs and refreshments set up for them ..how cute!

Wow! I bet you guys are gonna have an awesome Thanksgiving this year :tongue2:

russ_watters
Mentor
Moonbear said:
Ah, martinis are much better! 9 Wild Turkey's is going to leave Ivan with one heck of a hangover. :biggrin:
And judging from the OP, halucinations, too!

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Leave it up to the resident UFO "expert" to have trouble providing anything other than a grainy shot. Yeah, sure, you just never have a camera handy when there's a sighting...riiiiiight. :rolleyes: :rofl:

(And yes, very cute.)

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
russ_watters said:
And judging from the OP, halucinations, too!
What is "OP"?

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Moonbear said:
Leave it up to the resident UFO "expert" to have trouble providing anything other than a grainy shot. Yeah, sure, you just never have a camera handy when there's a sighting...riiiiiight. :rolleyes: :rofl:
Okay, that is funny! :rofl:

btw, never seen one.

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Moonbear said:
Original Post or Opening Post.
\

What am I missing here? :confused: Or is this an objection to the head count? I do only see seven babies in the picture...

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Ivan Seeking said:
\

What am I missing here? :confused: Or is this an objection to the head count? I do only see seven babies in the picture...
I don't know either. Maybe you're not the one hallucinating. :biggrin: