Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The latest from the farm: 9, no, 10, no, 11 wild turkeys; or could it be 20?

1. Aug 17, 2005 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Mom and eight babies. Tsu has been trying to get a good camera shot. Yesterday I saw them walking past the front porch with Bun kitty trailing the crowd by about twenty feet. When momma turned around, Bun dropped back, so I think Bun and momma turkey have already met.

I did run and grab the camera but the shot wasn't very good. They had already walked too far away from the window.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2005 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In a way this is pretty cool. We loved our dogs, but now that they're all gone the wildlife has started moving in.

4. Aug 17, 2005 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I love watching wild critters! I'm anxiously awaiting photos.

5. Aug 17, 2005 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

That is so cool. I can't wait to see pictures!!!! All I ever got was a possum inside my house.

6. Aug 17, 2005 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They were just right outside the office door. If I quitely move towards the door, with just glass screen door between us, they don't notice. Unfortunately the camera is up in the house.

7. Aug 17, 2005 #6

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Wait..... I don't remember 9 wild turkeys in The 12 Days of Christmas!

Zz.

8. Aug 17, 2005 #7

Tsu

Gold Member

You''re confused again Zapper. Here. Have another green apple martini... :biggrin:

9. Aug 17, 2005 #8

Astronuc

We have a family of wild turkeys too. Two adults and 6-7 off-spring.

I'll dig up some pics, too.

We have plenty of deer, rabbits, raccoons, skunks, possums, a variety of smaller rodents, a few ground squirrels (like chipmunks), and way too many regular squirrels, and occassionally a fox. My wife found a baby fox (kit) in our backyard a few years ago. She took it to a wildlife rehabilitator who also had a kit.

Once in a while we see a coyote, and on rare occassions a black bear wanders into the area. Haven't heard of one recently though.

10. Aug 17, 2005 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ah, martinis are much better! 9 Wild Turkey's is going to leave Ivan with one heck of a hangover. :biggrin:

11. Aug 17, 2005 #10

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Time to get the cranberry sauce :tongue2:

12. Aug 17, 2005 #11

Evo

<private message to Tsu & Ivan - don't invite dduardo over in November or December> :bugeye:

13. Aug 17, 2005 #12
    They are such clever birds, my dog plays with them,herds them in and out of the woods and when they are done with her they roost on a low branch, just inches out of her reach.
    They seem to know the dog won't harm them, and actually allow her to get very close{butt sniffen close} :tongue2:

14. Aug 18, 2005 #13

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yikes! I definitely wouldn't want to see a bear wandering around. Post some pics!

Btw, what do you all think? One day I saw what looked like a large dog running down in the pasture. At first this looked strange because his legs looked disproportionately long for his body, but what nearly sat me down was when he hopped a five foot fence like it wasn't even there. It looked like he barely hopped; more like a big step! At first I assumed that this was a coyote but it was too large for that wasn't it? It must have been a wolf? I don't think we even have wolves around here though. :confused:

15. Aug 18, 2005 #14

Tsu

Gold Member

[​IMG]

A Wild Turkey and 7-Up!!! :rofl:

16. Aug 18, 2005 #15

Evo

Oh how cute!!!!!! :approve:

17. Aug 18, 2005 #16
    wow and you even have chairs and refreshments set up for them ..how cute!

18. Aug 18, 2005 #17
    Wow! I bet you guys are gonna have an awesome Thanksgiving this year :tongue2:

19. Aug 18, 2005 #18

russ_watters

And judging from the OP, halucinations, too!

20. Aug 18, 2005 #19
    Mmm... They sound delicious... :tongue: :biggrin:

21. Aug 18, 2005 #20

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Leave it up to the resident UFO "expert" to have trouble providing anything other than a grainy shot. Yeah, sure, you just never have a camera handy when there's a sighting...riiiiiight. :rolleyes: :rofl:

(And yes, very cute.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?