The latest sociopath

Pythagorean
Gold Member
It sounds like a regular normal teenager to me also.

I meant for the emphasis to be placed on the word public, not school. What's different about private schools?

I meant for the emphasis to be placed on the word public, not school. What's different about private schools?
Wrt urban, and inner-city high schools, I think the difference, and the motivation for parents to send their kids to private schools, is mostly cultural.

Sociopaths (or pschopaths) are a crazy bunch! I once knew one, and I still cannot believe the WAKE OF DESTRUCTION he left in his path..... people's lives were literally destroyed as a result of knowing him... the people hit the hardest are their own kids, though. He's in jail, about to get out from overcrowding and he'll be back in society, ready to find another slew of victims who'll believe his utter nonsense. Watch out for, as I read recently, the psychopath next door!

BTW, the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders is coming out with a new edition (which they do roughly every ten years or so). The classification of psychopathy has been, as others have mentioned, a hot topic. The APA (American Psychiatric Association) has decided to give the personality disorder section an overhaul, and added a second classification to Antisocial Personality Disorder that includes a sliding scale diagnosis of psychopathy. Because cuurently, there is no diagnosis as psychopathic or sociopathic, from what I understand, although antisocial pesonality disorder used to be called psychopathy back in the 1950's. The DSM V may use Dr. Robert Hare's Psychopathy Checklist Revised.

Private schools cost more, are less well equipped and have less qualified teachers in general. BUT there is one major advantage to private school - the WANT your kid to succeed. This is more the case today in public schools with all the testing but this wasn't true in the past. When I taught in a private school the principal said two thing to us - we expect our students to pass and we expect that you don't give them a single point to do it. I was most impressed. They do get crazy kids but not same kind of crazy as public does.

Is there evidence that really violent parenting causes chemical changes in the brains of the kids. Brain chemical changes that end up producing the same condition that some are born with and that result in sociopathic or psychopathic behavior. Or did the child just inherit the condition that caused the parent to be so abusive in the first place?