Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The leading factor in the U.S. presidential runoff: covert racism

1. Aug 21, 2008 #1
    Notwithstanding that Barack Obama was born to a black father, the U.S. presidential runoff will be decided on issues of race, especially driven by fearful stereotypes and the racist attempt to retain control of America by a dwindling white population.

American conservatism, subtly or overtly, is rallying Caucasian voters to one last stand of supremacy. (It seems to me this prejudice may be endemic to older conservatives bitter from the fallout of the civil rights era and conditioned by the experience of segregation, or middle class enclaves competing economically with a recent influx of ethnicities.)

Do tolerant conservatives sense this push toward discrimination in politics, or overhear back room conversations that basically argue about the inferiority of the black race and the need to exclude their concerns from the public forum? The metaphorical mule is being slapped out from under the governmental gallows.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2008 #2
    Hah, when I was visiting Mass and I would tell them I'm from DC, they would all say to me: "Oh, you have a lot of black people there. I have nothing against black people, but there are so many in DC"

I was like...........uh..........okay?

Americans have a serious complex when it comes to sex, race, and religion.

4. Aug 21, 2008 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

How about racism of blacks toward whites or ethnocentrism? Do you think that is a factor here as well? Whether the candidate is a Harvard grad or a crack addict, blacks tend to get upwards of 90% of the "black vote". Why?

Regardless of how you look at the issue, though, I do agree with cyrus. Americans have a complex about race. We are not yet to the point where people ignore it.

5. Aug 21, 2008 #4

Dale

So then, are you claiming that it is impossible to disagree with Barack or vote against him for reasons that are not racist? If that is not impossible, then you would have no way of knowing the reasons that people vote against him. Since you couldn't know the real reason, you would be pre-judging (prejudice) people with your assumption that the leading reason is racism.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  6. Aug 21, 2008 #5

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2015 Award

The best thing about covert racism is that sometimes it's so covert the racist himself doesn't realize he is racist. He might even think he's voting for McCain based on, say, economic issues or foreign policy, but nope, it's all racism.

7. Aug 21, 2008 #6
    You have Hillary supports who are drifting towards McCain instead of Obama because he just "isn't their kind of guy".

What reason can they have to going to McCain? He's anti-abortion, wants to keep the war going, no universal healthcare, i.e. the exact opposite of why you'd support Hillary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1x81XODP-o&feature=related

F1x81XODP-o&feature=related[/youtube]

8. Aug 21, 2008 #7

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wait, are you just saying that it is impossible to disagree with Obama if you are not racist?

9. Aug 21, 2008 #8

russ_watters

And ironically, often it is the one looking for/finding covert racism everywhere he/she looks who really is the covert racist!

10. Aug 21, 2008 #9
    I can think of a wealth of reasons people would not vote for Obama besides racism. Examples would be stupidity, ignorance, spite, or the two issues that have always accounted for 95% of all votes for Republicans: abortion and tax cuts.

11. Aug 21, 2008 #10

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Of course you would - they admit to it in polls!

For instance, 8% of WV Primary voters said race was the most important factor in their decision. At least 86% of those respondents voted for Hillary. And additional 14% said it was one of the factors, and more than 80% of those people voted for Hillary.

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/primaries/results/epolls/#WVDEM

12. Aug 21, 2008 #11

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Over 80% of households will see a bigger tax cut from Obama's plan than from McCain's plan.

13. Aug 21, 2008 #12
    True, but a great number of those households are occupied by knaves who don't understand what they're voting for, and have been conditioned to associate Republicans with "low taxes, small government," and Democrats with "tax and spend." The point was what is motivating the voters, not what they'll actually end up with.

14. Aug 21, 2008 #13
    Yes, that would fall under "stupiditiy" like he said.

15. Aug 21, 2008 #14
    What incited me to start this thread were the extreme statistical exaggerations and untruths in the following diatribe, an attempt to rationalize ignorance within the electorate. How would Mr. Buchanan's "Higher Intelligence" respond to him? What difference would it make if his assertions about blacks were instead true of whites - that it is not color but the difference thereof that matters?

http://buchanan.org/blog/?p=969

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2008
  16. Aug 21, 2008 #15

Evo

That entire thing reads like some kind of sick joke. IMO Pat Buchanan is an insult to the intelligence of not just white people but all people.

17. Aug 21, 2008 #16

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Loren, you're missing a link to the url. That's a few months old, isn't it? I remember reading that article this Spring.

18. Aug 21, 2008 #17

Evo

19. Aug 21, 2008 #18

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

I expect that racism will play a role in the next election and will skew results. To the extent that Obama surrounds himself with a black cadre of spokes people, to the extent that Michelle plays a prominent role in interviews and campaigning, I think it will all work to distract voters from whatever his underlaying message may be.

Sadly for the GOP though they have done such a butcher job on the US economy and foreign policy, that I have serious doubts McCain has the mettle, or the charisma, or the arrows in his quiver, or that there is that much racism, to keep their dreadful reign any longer in power, nor likely any hope of McCain not being branded, bound and thrown off the sacrificial cliff with the rest of them.

20. Aug 21, 2008 #19

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

I think you need to view Buchanan in light of what he makes his living at. He's apparently a conservative shock jock, prepared to defend outrageous positions, because it gives him notoriety and face time.

You probably don't like Ann Coulter either.

21. Aug 21, 2008 #20

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The site is run by a Linda Miller.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?