Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The leak

1. Jan 5, 2008 #1

wolram

Gold Member

Yes i came home one morning to find water pouring down my drive, strange as it may seem the burst water pipe is nothing to do with my cottage it supplies several houses at the back of my property, any how i went out this afternoon to find two bloody great holes in my garden.
    In one i could just see the top of a safety helmet moving about, rather bemused i went out and asked why the owner of the helmet was digging there, he told me all about the burst pipe and that he and his mate had been contracted to fix it but they could not find it,
    (they are not usually this deep he said), now standing looking up the length of my drive
    with the manhole cover at my feet and my cottage to the left of me it was obvious they were digging to the right of a straight line from the manhole cover , i put it to these guys that may be they were digging in the wrong place, ah they said, you are wrong we found water seeping out of the ground where we are digging the pipe must be here but deeper.
    So i left them to it and went to visit mom, came back home about an hour ago, the two holes are now one and about 8ft deep, the men have gone leaving a pump pumping the water out of the abyss.
    Should i insist that they dig where i suggested? i do not care one way or tother my damages claim is just going to get bigger the more mess they make.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2008 #2
    well, at least its outside.

Last year, the cold water pipe going to a sink upstairs broke----fix it-----then less than a week later, the hot water pipe to the same sink did the same--at the exact same connection. They hadn't been worked on ever by me, and had been OK for the 16 years I've been here, plus who knows how long before that.

4. Jan 5, 2008 #3

wolram

Gold Member

My down stairs bathroom ceiling is in a state of flux, it may dry out OK or not, hell i think the Romans could hold water better than us.

5. Jan 5, 2008 #4
    They could try an old method:

[​IMG]

6. Jan 5, 2008 #5

wolram

Gold Member

LOL.

7. Jan 5, 2008 #6

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wolly got a swimming pool! :cool:

8. Jan 5, 2008 #7
    I want to come swimming!

9. Jan 5, 2008 #8

wolram

Gold Member

Heart attack, or may be my physiology would stand up to a visit, if i lived i sure would make you welcome.

10. Jan 5, 2008 #9
    Wrong...Lol. Its believed that the fall of the Roman Empire was due to water.

11. Jan 6, 2008 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: Yeah, keep pointing them everywhere EXCEPT where the pipe is. :biggrin:

12. Jan 6, 2008 #11

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just let the sisters know when we can come over for a pool party. I'll bring the margaritas.

13. Jan 6, 2008 #12

Evo

Staff: Mentor

MIH, is that a pancake on your head?

14. Jan 6, 2008 #13

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Why yes, it is! :approve:

Are you feeling better? We have to get you all mended so you can come swimming at Wolly's.

15. Jan 6, 2008 #14

Evo

The pain isn't as bad, but still there. Just toss me on an inflatable raft and I'll float around.

Can I have a pancake? :approve:

16. Jan 6, 2008 #15

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You betcha. I made plenty:

[​IMG]

Or I could run over to Roscoe's and get you some of their famous chicken and waffles, if you prefer:

[​IMG]

17. Jan 6, 2008 #16

Evo

Oooh, and I haven't eaten yet today. :!!)

18. Jan 6, 2008 #17
    OMG I really, REALLY want this right now. I don't think Wolly would mind a few waffle crumbs in his new pool, would he?

19. Jan 6, 2008 #18

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Gosh, I hope not - or he's really going to hate the waffle raft I made for Evo to float on.

20. Jan 6, 2008 #19

Evo

:!!)

21. Jan 7, 2008 #20

wolram

Gold Member

I do not care one bit if i get crumbs in my unpool.

The digging guys have not come back yet which is a shame, i was looking forwards to having some fun, hey mate i saw water seeping here last night.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?