Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Learning Channel ?

1. Jan 23, 2010 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I remember when The Learning Channel started and was about knowledge, that was a LONG time ago. There has not been an educational program on there in more years than I can remember.

Now they are hosting the Miss America pageant. Their programming is nothing but garbage, programs like The Duggars (it's a vagina, not a clown car), and Jon and Kate + hate. Toddlers and Tiaras, about promoting the exploitation of very young girls in beauty pageants.

It is so sad that educational tv cannot survive in America. But do they have to degrade to such irresponsible trash?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2010 #2
    i wouldn't call the Duggars irresponsible, they're just... "different".

i think they also did the conjoined twin girls? that was interesting, and didn't seem to be too exploitative, but in general, i have a strong contempt for most things called "reality television".

and your thread made me think of this: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0234588/

4. Jan 23, 2010 #3

Evo

In a world bordering on 7 billion and heading for disaster if the world population does not decrease soon, popping out children to satisfy some personal desire to continuously reproduce is irresponsible, IMO. I wonder if it is some kind of mental disorder that drives them to this?

5. Jan 23, 2010 #4
    i can just about assure you that it is religious imperative.

6. Jan 23, 2010 #5
    Blame not mental disorders, but greed and ignorance instead.

I naturally selected The Learning Channel out of my view years ago. What can we expect of quality with over 200 channels competing for an audience addicted to cheap thrills and no intellectual challenge? I often listen to the radio (which has landmines of its own) instead, preferably classical music or NPR.

7. Jan 23, 2010 #6

Evo

I'm sure that's part of it, if she didn't keep popping out babies, she'd have no show, and no income. How can irresponsible breeding get you a tv show and huge amounts of money? What does this say about our society?

8. Jan 23, 2010 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The Bible says to be fruitful and multiply, so I got fruit trees and a physics degree.

9. Jan 23, 2010 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Evo, I think all of the science programming went to Discovery Science, and TLC is dedicated now to subjects like cooking.

The description below a google hit is: TLC online lets you explore family & parenting, home projects, cooking & recipes, weddings, fashion & more.

10. Jan 23, 2010 #9
    While I do agree with this I have to say that Evo makes a good point. TLC back in the day was more about LEARNING those things, now it's mostly reality TV shows and the like. What can you learn from watching how a family with 18 children live? or how people who are 4 ft tall live? Not a whole lot. Sure it opens up what you do know about these people etc. but I can personally say I have never taken something from the show to apply to my personal life. (which is what used to be aired).

Discovery channel has gone down the SAME route. Now it's all about crab fishing in dangerous waters or which job in the world is the dirtiest. I remember as a child I used to sit and watch Discovery channel and I learnt an EXTREMELY large amount about the solar system... space in general... our planet, animals, etc. etc. All this knowledge was poured into my head by watching discovery channel for a few hours straight at night time while I was sleeping over at my grandparents house (they had this black box that got all the channels for free. discovery channel was a 'pay more' option and my family didn't have the luxury of paying the more.)

Do you think a child could sit and watch discovery channel for a few hours at night time and actually 'learn' anything about science and technology that could be considered 'worth' knowing in a scientific community? I doubt it.

11. Jan 23, 2010 #10
    It's a burlesque on sex - apparently bread, circus and obscenity. To think that TV would use babies as perverse objects!

Give me the universe anytime.

12. Jan 23, 2010 #11

Evo

What they air is mostly sensationalist garbage.

You can look at the lineup here
    http://tlc.discovery.com/tv/tv-shows.html

13. Jan 23, 2010 #12
    i'm not aware of this criticism of the Duggars. are you not thinking of Suleman (aka "Octomom")?

14. Jan 23, 2010 #13

Evo

It's really sad, there is very little on tv for children to watch and get excited about the wonders of the world around them. All kids see as being important is living excessively and being self absorbed, even psycho.

15. Jan 24, 2010 #14

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Obama made the comment that his girls are only allowed to watch Nik, and Disney.

16. Jan 24, 2010 #15

Evo

17. Jan 24, 2010 #16
    Court TV went the same route. They used to have fairly intellectual stuff, but then they converted into "Tru TV" and started airing much "hipper" stuff like police car chases and reality stuff and so forth, well their ratings have since shot up, but IMO the quality of the programming TANKED. I haven't watched TLC in ages, but sorry to read it has gone down the tank too, I still have a series about the universe on VHS that was recorded like back in 1994 that was awesome from TLC then.

Just wondering, but why do you say the world is heading for disaster with the population increasing? I think the population will probably start decreasing at some point.

Also, and this strays off-topic a bit (might need another thread even), but isn't the desire for people to have any children ultimately selfish? Because I doubt most people reason, "Hmm...the nation needs productive citizens to produce and pay taxes, so I'll do my patriotic duty and pop out some kids," it more seems just people say, "I want kids" or "We want children," which technically is probably selfish ultimately (because there is no way to know if the kid one is having would technically have wanted to be born into this world).

18. Jan 24, 2010 #17
    A testimate to how bad it has become; I had actually forgotten that TLC stands for The Learning Channel. I didn't realize you were talking about TLC until someone else mentioned it.
    Did a little wikipedia reading and it has this to say...
    And...
    So it may not even be "The Learning Channel" anymore.

19. Jan 24, 2010 #18
    I am only 16, but I remember back when I was a younger child when there was Discovery Wings, which basically had all you needed to know about aircraft design and how they work, plus a couple shows on people building planes and the like. That was an amazing channel. It then turned into the Military Channel, which also was extremely great in its first year of air. They had a whole bunch of shows on historic battles plus a bunch of weapon shows that were highly informative and entertaining. The Science channel used to be like this also (they still have some informational shows, but not as much as before.)

Who remembers the old History Channel? Oh that was awesome, all history all day basically, now they have a whole bunch of conspiracy shows on whether big foot exists or not. They still have some gems like Shootout and Modern Marvels, but the rest is not good at all.

I believe the main reason is because people want to watch the TV to be entertained, and today's society wants to watch 2 midgets that live on a farm working instead of learning about something of educational value.

Ahhh the joys of American television!

20. Jan 24, 2010 #19
    I know! ANOTHER one that went down the crapper!

I can understand the joys of watching quality entertainment, ranging from shows on USA like "Burn Notice," "Psych," "White Collar," "Royal Pains," etc...which are light-hearted fun, to the programming on other channels like "Law and Order" to other premium TV shows even that are quality drama with good writing and good storytelling and plots, but I do not get this obsession with these crazy reality TV shows!

21. Jan 24, 2010 #20

Evo

The United Nations also came out with strong warnings of the disaster that was caused by overpopulation and was so fiercely attacked by the Catholic church that the UN dropped the whole thing.

I don't want to drag this thread off topic with this.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook