The Learning Channel ?

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
Ahem.

The physics forum channel began as a physics-centric thing. We get distracted by other issues and post to threads in the PF lounge 'n stuff because they yank on our emotional strings. And here we are--distracted.

How many initiated posts are inquisitive physics vs. the "I haf-to-do-physics-homework" channel or tintilating distractions such as the channel in which we are now participating, here and now?

The same devolution happens here as happens on the television, and I am a willing participant.

Why? And, am I making sense to anyone?

I never said that they couldn't afford them. This is all I said. I don't know where you got the idea that I specifically made any claim about them affording anything.
i guess it was the "no income" part. maybe it's a little old-fashioned, but there still are a lot of families out there with stay-at-home moms.

I think the best recent show on t.v. has got to be 'How its Made' on the science channel; its just straight up simple information about cool obscure industrial processes, awesome.

I have to say though, the sci. channel is slowly beginning to show more and more crap like all the rest of them, but they still do Cosmos marathons from time to time.

The Duggars make a lot of their income from properties they own and rent out to various companies/people. I'm not certain if they' be able to maintain their lifestyle without having a TV show however. I don't even know how much the family would earn from having a TV show. All I do know is their house inside is VERY nice (the outside I think is a bit toooo old fashion for my taste.)

And I second the comments about the history channel, however at night time... like at 2am they have some pretty interesting shows on that are ACTUALLY about history. They also have some really good movies on with this old lady who explains stuff to you briefly before commercials.

Phrak, I see what you're saying, but at the same time you have to look at it as a matter of ratios. True, people do want emotional string-yanking and mindless entertainment sometimes, everybody is guilty of it, but their are PLENTY of channels for that, and I believe the people here are complaining that even the few channels/programs set aside for education have devolved into mindless entertainment.

Traditional orchestras are struggling now too, because people just are not into hearing symphonies and classical music anymore.

I'm sure that's part of it, if she didn't keep popping out babies, she'd have no show, and no income. How can irresponsible breeding get you a tv show and huge amounts of money? What does this say about our society?
The show's only been on for three years, going on its fourth season coming up, and they're on their 19th child. Reality teevee featuring watching people in their homes didn't exist when these two decided to "let God decide how many children they'd have".

I know it's not the source of choice around here, but http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/18_Kids_and_Counting" [Broken]

I agree with the "not a clown car" idea, though.

And yes, I remember with TLC launched, and I had high hopes for it. I had high hopes for all sorts of possibilities with the extra cable channels. It really hasn't improved the situation a whole lot, has it? Although we do have The Food Network -- that makes me happy -- and The Comedy Channel. It's not all bad, but it's unfortunate that we can't seem to develop or there's no interest in high-quality educational stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the best recent show on t.v. has got to be 'How its Made' on the science channel; its just straight up simple information about cool obscure industrial processes, awesome.
How Do They Do It? is very similar, 'cept with a British narrator. Unfortunately, both are on at the oddest hours. I miss "Junkyard Wars", which I just learned had been on TLC at some point.

The whole dozen kids doesn't faze me 'cause I know enough religious Jews with very large families. I've babysat kids from families with tons of kids, and helped out in homes where there are lots of kids, and learned they they're really just like everybody else in most ways. And very frugal, hand me downs and second hand stuff all the way. Volunteer and paid help also go a long way, as does the fact that in most large families the older kids help out a ton.

I like the TLC girly shows about makeovers and bridal gowns, even liked John and Kate before it became a disaster, but I sympathize at the lack of intelligent shows on the channel.

Last edited:
I grew up watching the history channel and loved it! A constant flurry of information which followed me all the way through university. Now I watch the history channel and am so disappointed! It seems like everything on television today is about hypothetical world endings or conspiracy theories except for a select few programs. This seems to be the general trend on every network though, not just the history channel.

Its nice that the history and the discovery channel get people excited about science; however, they teach virtually nothing. Unfortunately education is not a competitive form of "entertainment" anymore :(

Last edited:
I think that The Food Network is a great channel, I learn plenty from it. I actually think that it's the only channel I watch during the day time. At night other good show are on history and discovery (this is at like 2am) so I watch those instead unless a movie is on.

I love Iron Chef... it's just so fun :smile:

Let's discover...howe & howe tech!...ugh...
Just as bad as the loggers on History.

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Well, I agree that the Duggar's are not much in the way of quality programming. And, it's true, they couldn't afford all those kids before they had a reality TV show...the very first episodes were basically them getting help building a house they were trying to build themselves and not able to finish until the TV producers came along and hired crews to finish it for them.

However, I have seen good programming on TLC still. I like shows like Mystery Diagnosis and Diagnosis X. They're pretty educational, and accurate. They aren't on as often, because they also air on Discovery Health, but for me, that's in the digital programming line-up and I only get that one the one TV with the converter box (and won't get it at all if I give up the converter box if rates go up much at the end of my first year of subscribing).

I pretty much watch 3 channels that are all in a row here...Comedy Central, TLC, and Discovery Channel. When shows like the Duggar's or the one about all the morbidly obese people getting gastric bypass (really, why is that interesting after one episode? It's all the same thing) are on TLC or Discovery, that's when I watch Comedy Central.

Is it possible that a government sponsored math and science, channel could actually have a positive economic effect on a country, rather than just wasting money? I think it's possible.

In a world bordering on 7 billion and heading for disaster if the world population does not decrease soon, popping out children to satisfy some personal desire to continuously reproduce is irresponsible, IMO. I wonder if it is some kind of mental disorder that drives them to this?
Survival of humanity should be the LAST thing a couple should think about.

It is so sad that educational tv cannot survive in America. But do they have to degrade to such irresponsible trash?
Where else in the world is it really embraced? Frankly , I am thankful that we have podcasts that contain a variety of subjects and selections that you are curious about or interested in that does not rely on ratings in order for the particular podcast you are interested in to continue . good riddance to TLC and the discovery, and frankly television as a whole because it has collective gone done in production and programming quality.

Last edited:

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
As for quality programming, you can't beat PBS.

I take issue with a number of their lecture series, but other than that, I find that PBS programming is usually the best [hightest quality] to be found. Most Novas are anywhere between good and excellent. Nature is good. Frontline is an excellent political documentary series. Sesame street has been running how long now? Heck, I have even learned to enjoy the Antique Road Show, which comes on after my thirty-year standard and the most reliable and in-depth [substantive] news service on television - The News Hour and the affiliated news programming. You won't find anyone on The News Hour or any other program yelling at or crying for the camera. Guests are required to allow others to speak their turn; then to respond in a reasonable manner. In fact, guests of any bias are even allowed to make their points without being cut off by the interviewer and forced to respond to nonsense.

Interesting that the opponents of public television have long argued it is unnecessary because commerical markets will fill the void. Apparently they don't.

Last edited:
I love PBS and the Antiques Roadshow is one of my favorite shows :rofl:. Sometimes they have really interesting things on there.

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I love PBS and the Antiques Roadshow is one of my favorite shows :rofl:. Sometimes they have really interesting things on there.
The History Detectives can also be quite interesting and educational.

Last edited:
Is it possible that a government sponsored math and science, channel could actually have a positive economic effect on a country, rather than just wasting money? I think it's possible.
Oh man, wouldn't that be awesome?

My area has a local cable county government channel and a county department of education channel. The Gov. channel just plays reruns of anti-crime programs from the 90's and safety/stream maintenance programs (which are, though outdated, useful). The Edu. Channel mostly just shows slide shows of little kids art put to classical music (which is really nice to have in the background), but occasionally they do play some discussions of art, poetry, economics, child development etc. Nothing of really high quality and all made in the 90's.

Either of these channels could easily be used to show math and science lectures. Being in Georgia, perhaps they could even tape some lecture series from UGA or GTech for little to no cost on their part.

Pythagorean

Gold Member
Evo, I agree completely about TLC and the whole other batch of supposed "learning" channels out there nowadays. But that's ok, because we have the internet and TED and GoogleTalks and a number of open courses online (such as Yale). We no longer need to be spoon fed our educational visual/audio stimulation. We can hand pick it!

Officials also noted that the cable channel greatly values the 18- to 45-year-old demographic of louts, clods, and empty-headed dumb ****s.

"I don't like it when the science people talk about things no one can even understand," said Rich Parker, an Ohio resident. "It's like, just quit your yapping and dip the chain saw into the liquid nitrogen already."

That makes me feel better thanks for the link.

what does that even mean?
I think it's the tendency to drop out anything educational in favor of the things that would be really bad ideas if not done in a supervised setting. It's best seen in mythbusters, where an obscure myth would probably be dug up just to justify "dipping a chain saw into liquid nitrogen."