Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B The leg of a dead frog

1. Nov 27, 2016 #1
    I have read that in 1771 physician Luigi Galvani notices that the leg of a dead frog moves when being explored by metal probes. Galvani called this “animal electricity.”

Why does he think that this movement has anything to do with electricity?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2016 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Why do YOU think he does? Do you think he was wrong?

4. Nov 27, 2016 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Further to @phinds question, what was going on in the literature at that time? Probably some experiments with electricity?... :smile:

5. Nov 28, 2016 #4
    There's a very interesting history associated with that discovery. After being made aware of the discovery Volta started experimenting with different metals and fluids other than those found in frogs and came up with the first practical batteries known as Voltaic piles.
    Defibrillators and heart pacemakers are just two things where so called "animal electricity" is used.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
  6. Nov 28, 2016 #5

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Since the OP has not answered my question or @berkeman's why don't we let him do some research on his own before spoon feeding him stuff ?

7. Nov 30, 2016 #6

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

@genefalk you have been asked questions in two different posts in this thread and I see you have visited the forum since then. It is bad form to avoid questions so how about answers?

8. Nov 30, 2016 #7
    Thank you for your kind words. Also, your question was kind of a non-question as it was reposing my question to me. I would not be asking if I knew the answer.

9. Nov 30, 2016 #8

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

We do not spoonfeed people here. We expect them to do some reading and research on their own first, and ask questions here when the information at encyclopedia type sites (like wikipedia, hyperphysics, etc.) is not clear to them.

Please do some reading and post links to that reading. And ask specific questions about that reading if you are having trouble understanding it. That's the way the PF works, and it works very well. We try to help folks learn how to learn here... :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted