Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The legality of those online math lectures?

1. Jun 26, 2013 #1
    In a course I am taking this summer, the professor included a note in the syllabus about the copyright of the material. It's one of those "Creative Commons" things. So, as the course went on, I noticed that, while this guy is a brilliant teacher, the bulk of his lectures consist of parroting back theorems et al. verbatim from the textbook. Now, I realize that mathematics isn't exactly new, I am positive that this guy did not invent any of the material from this analysis course, and the textbook more or less is the same way.

But that got me thinking about something. I do ALOT of tutoring. In doing so, I have some video lectures that I have created, which, similar to above, are basically re-iterations of the subjects that I was taught with my own explanations etc. Currently these are private videos covering subjects like Algebra, Calculus, Statistics, LA, and more recently logic. I was thinking about making them public on youtube, since I don't profit from them or anything, it's just a fun way that I help fellow students, and help myself (I think teaching is the best way to learn). I couldn't possibly cite everything in the videos. How does the legality of this work?

There are TONS of videos in this vein all over the place. Can sample problems etc be copyright?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2013 #2

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Mathematical formulas are not considered copyright material. Under special circumstance, they could be considered trade secrets under US intellectual property law.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook