The Legendre Transform for Hamiltonians?

In summary: I(x)^2}{(l_x)^2} = \frac{I(x)^2}{(l_y)^2}Therefore, we can choose any value for p_{0_x} and solve for p_{0_y} using the above equation. This will give us the desired p_0 vector for use in the Legendre transform.In summary, to implement and extend the work of Emmanuel Prados, we need to use the Legendre transform to obtain the HJB Hamiltonian H_{R/T}^{orth*}. To do so, we need to solve the equation \nabla_p H(p_0)=0, which can be done by setting the gradient of the Hamiltonian at p_0 equal
lupine
I'm trying to implement and extend the work of Emmanuel Prados (http://www-sop.inria.fr/odyssee/research/prados-faugeras:04b/thesis.htm). I'm trying to follow how Appendix A, "How to transform a convex Hamiltonian into a HJB Hamiltonian; Legendre Transform", works for the provided example. I've contacted the author, but thought I might try here and see if anybody else could help me out in the meantime/

Given a Hamiltonian of the form

[tex]H_{R/T}^{orth}(x,p) = I(x) \sqrt{1+|p|^{2}} + p \cdot l - \gamma[/tex]

we can apparently use the Legendre transform to obtain

[tex]H_{R/T}^{orth*} = -\sqrt{I(x)^2 - |a-l|^2}+\gamma \qquad x\in\overline{B}(1,I(x))[/tex]

The process given for this transform is:
  1. Find the gradient [tex]\nabla_p H[/tex]
  2. Solve the equation [tex]\nabla_p H(p_0)=0[/tex] ([tex]p_0[/tex] depends on x)
  3. Calculate [tex]H(x,p_0)[/tex]

Here, p is a two-element vector (corresponding to the gradient of the surface [tex]p = \nabla u(x)[/tex], I(x) is the image intensity at pixel x, l is a two-element vector corresponding to the light source direction (constant), and gamma is a further light constant.

Finding the gradient seems pretty simple -- plug in the equation into any CAS package gives:

[tex]\frac{dH}{dp}=\dot{H}(p) = \left[ \left( \frac{I(x) p_x}{\sqrt{1+p_{x}^{2}+p_{y}^{2}}} + l_x \right), \left( \frac{I(x) p_y}{\sqrt{1+p_{x}^{2}+p_{y}^{2}}} + l_y \right)\right][/tex]

The next step, solving [tex]\nabla_p H(p_0)=0[/tex], is where I start coming undone. Since we now effectively have two unknowns, if we then substitute [tex]p_0=\left(p_{0_x},p_{0_y}\right)[/tex] for p, when solving for [tex]p_0[/tex], the variables will not be independent between the two components.

This is really confusing me, and I hope I've made it straight-forward enough for others to read and understand. :smile:

Thanks

Lupine

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear Lupine,

I can understand your confusion with the process given for the Legendre transform. It is indeed a complex mathematical concept, but it is essential for understanding and extending the work of Emmanuel Prados.

To solve the equation \nabla_p H(p_0)=0, we need to use the first-order optimality condition, which states that the gradient of a function at a stationary point is equal to zero. In this case, the function is the Hamiltonian H_{R/T}^{orth}(x,p), and the stationary point is p_0. Therefore, we need to set the gradient of the Hamiltonian at p_0 equal to zero and solve for p_0. This will give us the desired p_0 for use in the Legendre transform.

Substituting p=p_0 in the gradient of the Hamiltonian, we get:

\dot{H}(p_0) = \left[ \left( \frac{I(x) p_{0_x}}{\sqrt{1+p_{0_x}^{2}+p_{0_y}^{2}}} + l_x \right), \left( \frac{I(x) p_{0_y}}{\sqrt{1+p_{0_x}^{2}+p_{0_y}^{2}}} + l_y \right)\right] = 0

Now, since p_0 is a two-element vector, we have two equations and two unknowns. We can solve for these unknowns by equating the coefficients of p_{0_x} and p_{0_y} to zero:

\frac{I(x)}{\sqrt{1+p_{0_x}^{2}+p_{0_y}^{2}}} + l_x = 0

\frac{I(x)}{\sqrt{1+p_{0_x}^{2}+p_{0_y}^{2}}} + l_y = 0

From these equations, we can see that p_{0_x} and p_{0_y} are not independent, and we can solve for them by substituting one equation into the other:

\frac{I(x)}{\sqrt{1+p_{0_x}^{2}+p_{0_y}^{2}}} = -l_x = -l_y

Squaring both sides and rearranging, we get:

p_{0_x}^{2} + p_{0_y}^{2} =

The Legendre transform is a mathematical operation that converts one function into another function. In the case of Hamiltonians, it is used to transform a convex Hamiltonian into a Hamilton-Jacobi-Bellman (HJB) Hamiltonian. This is useful in solving certain problems in optimal control and dynamic programming.

In the case of the example provided, the Legendre transform is used to transform the Hamiltonian H_{R/T}^{orth}(x,p) into H_{R/T}^{orth*}(x,p). This is done by finding the gradient of H_{R/T}^{orth}(x,p) and solving the equation \nabla_p H(p_0)=0 for p_0, which depends on x. This results in the transformed Hamiltonian H_{R/T}^{orth*}(x,p), which can then be used in solving the problem at hand.

The process of solving \nabla_p H(p_0)=0 can be challenging, as it involves solving a system of equations with two unknowns. However, there are various techniques and methods that can be used to solve such systems, such as substitution or elimination. It may also be helpful to consult with a mathematician or expert in this field for further assistance.

In conclusion, the Legendre transform is an important tool in solving problems involving Hamiltonians, and it is worth investing time and effort to understand and implement it correctly. I hope this helps and I wish you success in your work!

1. What is the Legendre transform for Hamiltonians?

The Legendre transform for Hamiltonians is a mathematical operation that transforms a function from one set of variables to another, while preserving the physical meaning of the function. It is commonly used in classical mechanics to transform a function of position and velocity into a function of momentum and position, or vice versa.

2. Why is the Legendre transform important in classical mechanics?

The Legendre transform is important in classical mechanics because it allows us to change the variables used to describe a system, making it easier to solve equations and analyze the dynamics of the system. It also helps us to find the Hamiltonian, which is a fundamental quantity that describes the energy of a system.

3. How is the Legendre transform related to the Hamiltonian of a system?

The Hamiltonian of a system is defined as the Legendre transform of the Lagrangian of the system with respect to the generalized velocities. This means that the Hamiltonian and the Lagrangian contain the same information about the dynamics of the system, but in different variable sets.

4. Can the Legendre transform be applied to any function?

Yes, the Legendre transform can be applied to any differentiable function. However, the function must be convex or concave for the transform to have a unique solution. This means that the function must have a single, well-defined maximum or minimum value.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the Legendre transform for Hamiltonians?

Yes, the Legendre transform is used in various fields of physics and engineering, such as in thermodynamics, quantum mechanics, and control theory. It is also used in economics and finance for portfolio optimization and risk management. It is a powerful tool for transforming complex systems into simpler forms, making it applicable in many real-world scenarios.