Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Legendre Transform for Hamiltonians?

1. Sep 11, 2007 #1
    I'm trying to implement and extend the work of Emmanuel Prados (http://www-sop.inria.fr/odyssee/research/prados-faugeras:04b/thesis.htm). I'm trying to follow how Appendix A, "How to transform a convex Hamiltonian into a HJB Hamiltonian; Legendre Transform", works for the provided example. I've contacted the author, but thought I might try here and see if anybody else could help me out in the meantime/

Given a Hamiltonian of the form

[tex]H_{R/T}^{orth}(x,p) = I(x) \sqrt{1+|p|^{2}} + p \cdot l - \gamma[/tex]

we can apparently use the Legendre transform to obtain

[tex]H_{R/T}^{orth*} = -\sqrt{I(x)^2 - |a-l|^2}+\gamma \qquad x\in\overline{B}(1,I(x))[/tex]

The process given for this transform is:
    1. Find the gradient [tex]\nabla_p H[/tex]
    2. Solve the equation [tex]\nabla_p H(p_0)=0[/tex] ([tex]p_0[/tex] depends on x)
    3. Calculate [tex]H(x,p_0)[/tex]

Here, p is a two-element vector (corresponding to the gradient of the surface [tex]p = \nabla u(x)[/tex], I(x) is the image intensity at pixel x, l is a two-element vector corresponding to the light source direction (constant), and gamma is a further light constant.

Finding the gradient seems pretty simple -- plug in the equation into any CAS package gives:

[tex]\frac{dH}{dp}=\dot{H}(p) = \left[ \left( \frac{I(x) p_x}{\sqrt{1+p_{x}^{2}+p_{y}^{2}}} + l_x \right), \left( \frac{I(x) p_y}{\sqrt{1+p_{x}^{2}+p_{y}^{2}}} + l_y \right)\right][/tex]

The next step, solving [tex]\nabla_p H(p_0)=0[/tex], is where I start coming undone. Since we now effectively have two unknowns, if we then substitute [tex]p_0=\left(p_{0_x},p_{0_y}\right)[/tex] for p, when solving for [tex]p_0[/tex], the variables will not be independent between the two components.

This is really confusing me, and I hope I've made it straight-forward enough for others to read and understand. :smile:

Thanks

Lupine

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted