Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Leno Leaving

1. Jul 21, 2008 #1

~christina~

Gold Member

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2008 #2
    The only thing I like about leno is that he's a nice guy and he has nice cars. He stinks compared to letterman. No where near as funny.

(Key in black guy playing bass, dub-de-doo -doo-dummmm)

<insert fake audience laugh>

4. Jul 21, 2008 #3

turbo

Gold Member

Nobody has topped Johnny. He was an absolute goon and would do anything for a laugh, and he used so many tricks and change-ups (remember his penchant for magic tricks and misdirection) that he could blind-side you when you you expected one trick and he'd pull another unexpected one.

Edit: If you you want to see examples of impressive collections (vehicles, cigars, guitars) Google Scott Chinery (now deceased). Steve Howe has played many of the guitars in Chinery's collection. Did I mention Chinery's Batmobile?

5. Jul 21, 2008 #4
  6. Jul 21, 2008 #5

~christina~

Gold Member

cough* cough*
    There is a BIG reason why Conan has a dark lit studio. :biggrin:
    Letterman.. he has a really really odd look and NO sense of humor. What is his 10 something list about? I have never got the joke about that.

7. Jul 21, 2008 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I really like Leno. Never could stand Letterman, and Conan is even worse. I'm curious to see if Conan changes his style for The Tonight Show to better suit the time slot. I hope so. Otherwise, he's just too crude and juvenile in his humor. Letterman is just boring with too many lame attempts at humor.

8. Jul 21, 2008 #7

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Ditto, ditto, and ditto.

9. Jul 21, 2008 #8

~christina~

Gold Member

10. Jul 21, 2008 #9
    Leno's clips from papers is sooo funny though, all I watch.

11. Jul 21, 2008 #10

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Conan - bleah. But Letterman? He's great! Now granted, it's been years since I've watched either Letterman or Leno regularly. The last time I watched Leno with regularity was when he first got the job...I wasn't impressed. But Letterman's wacky humor I've always found amusing.

12. Jul 21, 2008 #11
    They just choose a hot topic (i.e. presidential race), pick something specific out of it (i.e. top ten reasons why Obama won't get elected), and then list ten humorous things surrounding that. They're actually pretty humorous in my opinion. Subtle, but humorous.

13. Jul 21, 2008 #12
    I'm assuming not. Conan's style thrives on being whacky and random.

14. Jul 21, 2008 #13
    Thats because you have not seen the OLD letterman skits where he would go to places like McDonalds and mess with people in the drive through.

He's funny because hes a true new yorker. He just sits there and makes fun of or insults his guests. Including shooting Richard Simmons with a Fire extinguisher.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=AtPGdOs7zOM

Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
  15. Jul 21, 2008 #14

~christina~

Gold Member

I know, the headlines are hilarious.

emphasis on old

16. Jul 21, 2008 #15
    Yeah hes not funny now, but neither is Lenno. At least letterman was funny. But in terms of commedians, they both STINK.

17. Jul 21, 2008 #16
    Leno was great; I remember watching him with my mom and pop and laughing my *** off at the weekly headlines every Tuesday.

Conan - boring shock value whore,

Letterman - can't...stop...looking...at...Grand-Canyon-spaced-teeth...oh, and not funny.

I'll really miss you Leno; enjoy your retirement!

18. Jul 21, 2008 #17

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I never cared for Letterman or Leno as comedians (but had a preference for Leno), and I the few times I watch Conan O'Brien, I wasn't impressed.

I prefer someone like Jon Stewart (Daily Show) or Jerry Seinfeld (stand up as opposed to Seinfeld).

19. Jul 21, 2008 #18

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

John Stewart is tops in my book. Just the right mix of smart and goofy, sophisticated and ribald.

I never liked the Seinfeld show but his stand up was OK.

(Full disclosure: I worked as a cocktail waitress in a comedy club for three years in college. Hate to admit it, but I became something of a comedy snob. If I never hear another [male genetalia] joke in my life it will be too soon.)

20. Jul 21, 2008 #19
    Jon Stewart definitely wins, but why so much hate here for Conan?

I don't always think he's terribly funny, but at least his humor is a little less boring and packaged than Leno or Letterman, and he's significantly more original than most of the comedy on TV.

21. Jul 22, 2008 #20
    I remember the "In The Year 2000" skit they would always do. Some funny stuff came out of that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?