Jay Leno Leaving - Ratings Impact?

• Thread starter ~christina~
  • Start date
In summary, the Tonight Show with Jay Leno will likely lose ratings because Conan O'Brien threatened to leave and NBC replaced him with Leno. Conan is better than Leno, but Letterman is still the king.
~christina~
Gold Member
http://tv.yahoo.com/the-tonight-show-with-jay-leno/show/34238/news/urn:newsml:tv.eonline.com:20080721:19e5a1e68617_4045_be07_f5bd5888825d__ER:78408

I wonder how the ratings will suffer.
I liked Leno. I think they should have let Conan go, when he was threatning to leave. (there are blatently obvious reasons that nobody watches his shows)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The only thing I like about leno is that he's a nice guy and he has nice cars. He stinks compared to letterman. No where near as funny.

(Key in black guy playing bass, dub-de-doo -doo-dummmm)

<insert fake audience laugh>

Nobody has topped Johnny. He was an absolute goon and would do anything for a laugh, and he used so many tricks and change-ups (remember his penchant for magic tricks and misdirection) that he could blind-side you when you you expected one trick and he'd pull another unexpected one.

Edit: If you you want to see examples of impressive collections (vehicles, cigars, guitars) Google Scott Chinery (now deceased). Steve Howe has played many of the guitars in Chinery's collection. Did I mention Chinery's Batmobile?

~christina~ said:
http://tv.yahoo.com/the-tonight-show-with-jay-leno/show/34238/news/urn:newsml:tv.eonline.com:20080721:19e5a1e68617_4045_be07_f5bd5888825d__ER:78408

I wonder how the ratings will suffer.
I liked Leno. I think they should have let Conan go, when he was threatning to leave. (there are blatently obvious reasons that nobody watches his shows)

Conan >>>> Leno. Good move by NBC.

Last edited by a moderator:
LightbulbSun said:
Conan >>>> Leno. Good move by NBC.

cough* cough*
There is a BIG reason why Conan has a dark lit studio. :biggrin:
Cyrus said:
The only thing I like about leno is that he's a nice guy and he has nice cars. He stinks compared to letterman. No where near as funny.
Letterman.. he has a really really odd look and NO sense of humor. What is his 10 something list about? I have never got the joke about that.

I really like Leno. Never could stand Letterman, and Conan is even worse. I'm curious to see if Conan changes his style for The Tonight Show to better suit the time slot. I hope so. Otherwise, he's just too crude and juvenile in his humor. Letterman is just boring with too many lame attempts at humor.

Moonbear said:
I really like Leno. Never could stand Letterman, and Conan is even worse. he's just too crude and juvenile in his humor. Letterman is just boring with too many lame attempts at humor.
Ditto, ditto, and ditto.

Conan - bleah. But Letterman? He's great! Now granted, it's been years since I've watched either Letterman or Leno regularly. The last time I watched Leno with regularity was when he first got the job...I wasn't impressed. But Letterman's wacky humor I've always found amusing.

~christina~ said:
Letterman.. he has a really really odd look and NO sense of humor. What is his 10 something list about? I have never got the joke about that.

They just choose a hot topic (i.e. presidential race), pick something specific out of it (i.e. top ten reasons why Obama won't get elected), and then list ten humorous things surrounding that. They're actually pretty humorous in my opinion. Subtle, but humorous.

Moonbear said:
I really like Leno. Never could stand Letterman, and Conan is even worse. I'm curious to see if Conan changes his style for The Tonight Show to better suit the time slot. I hope so. Otherwise, he's just too crude and juvenile in his humor.

I'm assuming not. Conan's style thrives on being whacky and random.

~christina~ said:
cough* cough*
There is a BIG reason why Conan has a dark lit studio. :biggrin:

Thats because you have not seen the OLD letterman skits where he would go to places like McDonalds and mess with people in the drive through.

He's funny because he's a true new yorker. He just sits there and makes fun of or insults his guests. Including shooting Richard Simmons with a Fire extinguisher.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=AtPGdOs7zOM

Last edited:
Greg Bernhardt said:
Leno's clips from papers is sooo funny though, all I watch.

I know, the headlines are hilarious.

Cyrus said:
Thats because you have not seen the OLD letterman skits where he would go to places like McDonalds and mess with people in the drive through.
emphasis on old

~christina~ said:
I know, the headlines are hilarious.

emphasis on old

Yeah he's not funny now, but neither is Lenno. At least letterman was funny. But in terms of commedians, they both STINK.

Leno was great; I remember watching him with my mom and pop and laughing my *** off at the weekly headlines every Tuesday.

Conan - boring shock value whore,

Letterman - can't...stop...looking...at...Grand-Canyon-spaced-teeth...oh, and not funny.

I'll really miss you Leno; enjoy your retirement!

I never cared for Letterman or Leno as comedians (but had a preference for Leno), and I the few times I watch Conan O'Brien, I wasn't impressed.

I prefer someone like Jon Stewart (Daily Show) or Jerry Seinfeld (stand up as opposed to Seinfeld).

Astronuc said:
I never cared for Letterman or Leno as comedians (but had a preference for Leno), and I the few times I watch Conan O'Brien, I wasn't impressed.

I prefer someone like Jon Stewart (Daily Show) or Jerry Seinfeld (stand up as opposed to Seinfeld).

John Stewart is tops in my book. Just the right mix of smart and goofy, sophisticated and ribald.

I never liked the Seinfeld show but his stand up was OK.

(Full disclosure: I worked as a cocktail waitress in a comedy club for three years in college. Hate to admit it, but I became something of a comedy snob. If I never hear another [male genetalia] joke in my life it will be too soon.)

Jon Stewart definitely wins, but why so much hate here for Conan?

I don't always think he's terribly funny, but at least his humor is a little less boring and packaged than Leno or Letterman, and he's significantly more original than most of the comedy on TV.

will.c said:
Jon Stewart definitely wins, but why so much hate here for Conan?

I don't always think he's terribly funny, but at least his humor is a little less boring and packaged than Leno or Letterman, and he's significantly more original than most of the comedy on TV.

I remember the "In The Year 2000" skit they would always do. Some funny stuff came out of that.

Hrmph, that sucks...

I can't believe Leno has been hosting the show for 17 years.

I don't think I ever watched a show with Leno as host. Nothing about Leno, but 10:30 is pretty late for watching TV.

I'm more of an Imus or Morning Joe person.

Back when I did stay up later, the Tonight Show never compared to Tom Snyder and the Tomorrow Show, anyway.

I always found Letterman boring.

I'm a Leno fan.

What is the reason behind Jay Leno leaving?

Jay Leno's departure from "The Tonight Show" was a result of his contract ending and NBC's decision to replace him with a new host, Jimmy Fallon.

How did Jay Leno's ratings compare to other late-night hosts?

Throughout his time as host of "The Tonight Show," Jay Leno consistently maintained the highest ratings among late-night talk shows, even beating out competitors like David Letterman and Jimmy Kimmel.

Did Jay Leno's departure have any impact on the show's ratings?

Following Jay Leno's departure, "The Tonight Show" experienced a slight dip in ratings during the initial transition to Jimmy Fallon as host. However, the show's ratings quickly rebounded and have remained strong since then.

How did fans react to Jay Leno's departure?

Many fans were disappointed and even angry about Jay Leno leaving "The Tonight Show," especially since it was his second departure from the show. However, others were excited to see Jimmy Fallon take over as host.

What does Jay Leno's departure mean for late-night television?

Jay Leno's departure marked a shift in late-night television, with a younger and more comedic host, Jimmy Fallon, taking over "The Tonight Show." This has also led to changes in the landscape of late-night talk shows, with more emphasis on viral videos and social media presence.