Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The lifetime of a laptop

1. May 16, 2006 #1

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I've recently purchased a laptop from ebay, it's in pretty good condition and runs great. However, I think that it's 2002 model and was wondering on how long will it continue to function without giving me any problems? Should I try to resell it, or is it worth the keep?

2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2006 #2

PerennialII

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

...... on the basis of last 7-8 laptops, all have developed a bigger hardware failure of sort (HDD, screen, keyboard, motherboard, memory, graphics card, heat issues top the list) usually after about 4-5 years (some have been more pathological). So that would make it 2006-2007 quite nicely :biggrin: . Although no reason why couldn't squeeze a few years, at least, of good going out of it if it's been kept well (which is more can say out of my own).

4. May 17, 2006 #3

turbo

Gold Member

It's been my experience that if a laptop has been running well for 4 years, it will probably continue to serve you unless you abuse it. Laptops with marginal designs (like the Dell I had to replace 3-4 times under warrantee due to battery power supply failures) tend to fail early in their lives. One thing to be aware of is overheating. It can be tempting to go out and sit in the warm sun and get a little work done, but if you are using the laptop on your lap, you may be blocking part of the ventilation, and the heat build-up from the sun is going to make things worse. To maximize the life of the laptop, treat it just like a desktop machine (only portable) and use it on a hard level surface with good ventilation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?