What Happens to Light when Heated - Baking Samosas

In summary: Maybe I am mistaken, but I don't believe that photons get "heated up" when they are in an oven - they just have a higher energy than the oven itself.
amt
So, I was baking this Indian delicacy I got at the local Indian grocery store commonly known as 'samosas'. I switched the light inside the oven to observe the progress and then suddenly this thought occurred to me. What happens to light when it gets heated up?

What does photons do under extremem heat?
What happens to the photons when they leave the Sun and travel further and further away?

As for the samosas they came out great! :tongue:

Science news on Phys.org
Unless I am mistaken, photons don't really "heat up". Only atoms have temperatures so you can't heat up photons.

Photons are heat(edit: I may get hit for being too simplistic there...), so the question is redundant. Anyway, the photons from the light in the oven are much, much hotter (higher energy) than the temperature of the oven itself.

Last edited:
Guess I am mistaken!

Thermal energy (heat) is kinetic energy from disorderly motions and vibrations of little particles. It has to be mass that is doing the shaking. Photons, the light particles, have no mass, so we can't call them hot or not.

How about Planks constant and black body radiation? Don't they mean heat from light that is proportional to the frequency?

This light thing looks stranger and stranger the more and more I learn about it. I was thinking about the ramifications of photons being effected by heat if that was true. Life would not be possible in that case. Seems like it was deliberately designed for us...strange... :uhh:

Ant, do you realize that photons (of a certain frequency) ARE a form of heat? I'm not certain whether you'd picked that up from russ's post.

Photons are basically packets of energy. The energy is of course, proportional to the frequency of the photon. Heat is a form of energy. Heat energy that is radiated - either from the sun, or some other ideal black-body, or even a non-ideal radiator like the one in your oven - is carried by photons (of all frequencies - some frequencies more than others). So, it is meaningless to talk of photons getting heated up. That's like asking if electrons can get charged by static. (electrons carry charge; photons carry heat).

'Light' is just a specific name assigned to photons of a particular frequency/wavelength range - the range that is "visible" to the human eye.

1. How does light behave when heated?

When light is heated, it does not change in any significant way. Light is made up of electromagnetic waves, and these waves do not have a temperature, so they cannot be heated like physical objects.

2. Does light get hotter when heated?

No, light does not have a temperature, so it cannot get hotter when heated. Only physical objects, such as the surface of a pan or the air in an oven, can increase in temperature when heated.

3. Can light be used to cook or bake food?

No, light cannot be used as a direct source of heat for cooking or baking. However, light can be used to heat up objects that absorb it, such as a black pan in the sun, which in turn can be used to cook food.

4. How does light affect the cooking process of samosas?

Light does not have a direct effect on the cooking process of samosas. However, light can contribute to the overall heating of the oven, which is used to bake the samosas.

5. Is there a difference in the way light behaves when heated in different cooking methods?

No, light behaves the same way when heated in different cooking methods. It does not change or react to heat, but rather contributes to the overall heating of the cooking environment.