Xmas Lights Up - What Do You Want for the Holidays?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lights
In summary: We've gotten to the point where we just give up and put our treats in a bag. In summary, people at Christmas are generally looking forward to good food and company, but some people feel bad and eat snacks instead of food.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Xmas lights that is, it seem they go up earlier every year, any way i suppose most of you are looking forward to a nice holiday, not for me though, i only get xmas day of:grumpy: and quite often have more work to do :cry:

Any ways up is there one thing you truly want for xmas, apart from good will to all men etc etc.

I would like a new chimney, fat chance, a velocette T shirt, and some books.

If i am lucky i may get some socks :rofl:

Physics news on Phys.org
wolram said:
Xmas lights that is, it seem they go up earlier every year, any way i suppose most of you are looking forward to a nice holiday, not for me though, i only get xmas day of:grumpy: and quite often have more work to do :cry:

Any ways up is there one thing you truly want for xmas, apart from good will to all men etc etc.

I would like a new chimney, fat chance, a velocette T shirt, and some books.

I want a Teddy Ruxpin. And socks, but they need to come up close to my knee. They're never long enough and it looks so dorky to cross your legs and see bare leg above the sock. :grumpy:

All I want is to get together with friends and family, talk, play games, and eat tasty treats. Last xmas eve, we got together with family at my father's house (a tradition) and my food contribution was a big filet of Atlantic salmon that I hickory-smoked with a glaze of maple syrup. That disappeared really fast, so I might make that again. That salmon goes really good on a rye cracker with cream cheese, topped with some of our home-made habanero jelly - rich, sweet, hot and smoky all at once.

My wife's contribution was a big platter of taco dip - the bottom is chili-seasoned cream cheese with garlic, onion, lemon juice, etc, then comes the layer of chopped fresh vegetables, all topped with shredded Monterey Jack. That stuff doesn't last long either, especially if my sister's youngest son is home for the holidays.

One of my sisters brought a round loaf of home-made pumpernickle bread, hollowed out and filled with a creamy spinach dip. Once the slices of the bread from the hollowed out part are eaten, and the dip level is down a bit, everybody just tears off the sides of the bread bowl and continues until it's gone.

Now that I've made myself crazy with hunger, I'll go make some lunch.:tongue2:

turbo-1 said:
All I want is to get together with friends and family, talk, play games, and eat tasty treats. Last xmas eve, we got together with family at my father's house (a tradition) and my food contribution was a big filet of Atlantic salmon that I hickory-smoked with a glaze of maple syrup. That disappeared really fast, so I might make that again. That salmon goes really good on a rye cracker with cream cheese, topped with some of our home-made habanero jelly - rich, sweet, hot and smoky all at once.

My wife's contribution was a big platter of taco dip - the bottom is chili-seasoned cream cheese with garlic, onion, lemon juice, etc, then comes the layer of chopped fresh vegetables, all topped with shredded Monterey Jack. That stuff doesn't last long either, especially if my sister's youngest son is home for the holidays.

One of my sisters brought a round loaf of home-made pumpernickle bread, hollowed out and filled with a creamy spinach dip. Once the slices of the bread from the hollowed out part are eaten, and the dip level is down a bit, everybody just tears off the sides of the bread bowl and continues until it's gone.

Now that I've made myself crazy with hunger, I'll go make some lunch.:tongue2:

Sounds awesome!

But I do have to say that some contributions are just :yuck: .

You know what I'm talking about. That plate of food no one will touch, but some people do because they feel bad. This is the reason why you always have Christmas diner where a pet dog is present. :biggrin:

JasonRox said:
Sounds awesome!

But I do have to say that some contributions are just :yuck: .

You know what I'm talking about. That plate of food no one will touch, but some people do because they feel bad. This is the reason why you always have Christmas diner where a pet dog is present. :biggrin:
It's a funny situation - often when my wife and I show up, people have been eating other snacks for a while and they immediately crowd around to see what treats we've brought and help lay them out on the table, and they pounce on it. We always take our dishes home empty. Not so with my sisters' contributions - they are often taking food back home. I can't feel guilty about their food being overlooked, though, since they are among the most enthusiastic about our dishes.

Nobody in the family brings stuff that is actually inedible, but generally it's nothing earth-shaking, either. If my wife cooked like my sisters do, I'd either be skin-and-bones or I'd have to cook almost every meal. :uhh:

I am getting my wisdom teeth out for Christmas. yay.

Math Is Hard said:
That doesn't sound like fun MIH. You couldn't think of anything else to do for the holidays?

Math Is Hard said:

Ditto to what Evo said, plus why pick xmas time?, i hate to think what a liquified
xmas dinner will be like :yuck:

wolram said:

There is no luck in getting socks at christmas. It will happen or the cosmic rift will swallow up all time and collapse in on itself.

I swear, sometimes i find packs of socks in June that could only have come from christmas, yet i have no idea from where. They just appear!

Evo said:
I want a Teddy Ruxpin. And socks, but they need to come up close to my knee. They're never long enough and it looks so dorky to cross your legs and see bare leg above the sock. :grumpy:

Get some wooly bikers socks, not that i want to encourage you to cover the
eye candy, but i have some old stretched ones that can pull up past my knese
I am suprised that your house is not busting at the seems with teddy ruxpins
with all your admirers.

It seems that for many Christmas is all about getting and giving presents and eating.
How many people actually celebrate what Christmas is all about?

I want weed killer that actually works! That's all that I really want. Well, that or a new [old] truck. We need another utility truck for the place. Of course we have talked about getting a touring bike [motorcycle], so I was thinking of that. And of course a sports car would be cool. In fact, now that I think about it, a Ferrari would be really nice. And a private jet would work as well. Also, a space walk would be cool. I hear they are down to 15 million.

Yep, one of those for sure.

MeJennifer said:
It seems that for many Christmas is all about getting and giving presents and eating.

I am afraid it means very little to me, only a time to make others a little
more happy, heck i bet it will be me, mom and benji again christmas day .
:cry:

MeJennifer said:
We certainly do... CELEBRATE THE SOLSTICE! The REAL reason for the season.

I celebrate christmas the true old way. Carol service, Midnight mass, sit around the christmas tree and talk and laugh as a family (imediate family only, the rest is overseas) Sometimes we only give presents in the afternoon, they aren't important

MeJennifer said:
I answered this on the other server, but it's gone. Christmas was hijacked by Christians and the way my family celebrates the holiday is probably very similar to the Solstice celebrations of centuries past. Get together with family and friends, eat, drink, talk, play games and enjoy each other's company. Tell your niece how cute her new baby is (even if she looks like a suckling pig) and tease the hell our of your favorite nephew after you beat him at cribbage. The joy of the holiday revolves around the enjoyment of the company of people dear to us, and keeping that tradition alive.

I don't celebrate the relative angle of the incident rays of the sun. :uhh:

:biggrin:

I think of Christmas as the celebration of peace and love.

Now where is my Ferrari?

Last edited:
Christmas is about knowing that it's probably cold enough outside to be able to wear a hoodie. Also, it comes with having the dog feel slightly cold when he comes back from a walk, especially the bottom of his feet. It's about the general feeling of coldness. It's also about the warmness, ironically enough.

God I hate Arizona during christmas, why can't it snow?? WHY!??!?

I still like getting sennheiser headphones and new soundcards, among other things :)

wolram said:
Xmas lights that is, it seem they go up earlier every year

I miss taking the kids to Regent St as soon as they are up:cry:
As well as the dark afternoons:cry:
the mulled wine:cry:
Guy Fawkes night:cry: &:yuck: (effigy burning issues)
even the bulky clothes:cry:

I don't think the lights are up any earlier than last year, because my open-minded little ones, on spying Regent St, said 'Wow, is this for Diwali?'

Baggage size and weight restrictions meant the men all received socks from me last year. I'm told that their initial horror gradually abated through the year with the discovery that they were cashmere, and how nice that feels! Or they could just be being kind!

wolram said:
Ditto to what Evo said, plus why pick xmas time?, i hate to think what a liquified
xmas dinner will be like :yuck:
I know. But I am full time student with an almost full time job. If there's a break that coincides, I have to jump on it. :frown: To screw things up even more, I am called for jury duty that week, so I don't know what will happen. It's a mess!

As a full time student you should be able to escape jury duty.

Ivan Seeking said:
As a full time student you should be able to escape jury duty.
I wish. They specifically said it is no excuse. I got called for October, and tried to postpone until summer, but they said I could postpone for no more than 90 days. :frown: So I had to take winter break - which isn't very long and if I get stuck on a case, bye bye winter quarter.

Wow, that really stinks! It clearly does present a hardship for most students. When I was a student in California it was a valid excuse...of course this may vary from county to county.

1. What is the history behind Christmas lights?

The tradition of using lights to decorate for Christmas dates back to the 17th century in Germany, where small candles were used to adorn Christmas trees. It wasn't until the 1880s that electric lights were first used for Christmas decorations, and they quickly grew in popularity.

2. How do Christmas lights work?

Christmas lights are made up of small bulbs connected to a power source by wires. When electricity flows through the wires, the bulbs light up. Most modern Christmas lights use LED bulbs, which are more energy-efficient and longer lasting than traditional incandescent bulbs.

3. How many Christmas lights are sold each year?

It is estimated that around 150 million sets of Christmas lights are sold each year in the United States alone. This number does not include individual light bulbs or replacement bulbs.

4. Are LED lights better for the environment than traditional incandescent lights?

Yes, LED lights are much more environmentally friendly than traditional incandescent lights. They use significantly less energy and have a longer lifespan, which means less waste. LED lights also do not contain toxic materials like mercury, which can be found in fluorescent lights.

5. How should Christmas lights be disposed of?

While LED lights are more environmentally friendly, they should still be disposed of properly. Many cities and towns have recycling programs specifically for electronic waste, including old Christmas lights. If your area does not have such a program, you can check with your local recycling center or electronics store for proper disposal methods.