1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The limit of a series

1. Feb 19, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

prove that lim n→∞ of [itex]\sum[/itex][itex]^{n}_{k=0}[/itex] e[itex]^{-n}[/itex] n[itex]^{k}[/itex] / k! = 1/2

3. The attempt at a solution

I seem to be mishandling the series. After taking n→∞, the sum of (n^k)/k! is just the taylor series expansion of e^n. Then I should get e^(-n)*e^n = 1.

Where am I going wrong??

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2013 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

You're messing up your variables.

You say "After taking the limit [itex]n\rightarrow +\infty[/itex]". But you seem to interpret that only has "making the sum infinite".

The expressions [itex]e^{-n}[/itex] and [itex]n^k[/itex] also depend on n. So if you take the limit as [itex]n\rightarrow +\infty[/itex], then those things don't stay the same.

Allow me to totally butcher mathematics for a moment, but it's to make things clear. If you take the limit [itex]n\rightarrow +\infty[/itex] of your expression then you don't end up with

[tex]e^{-n}\sum_{k=0}^{+\infty}\frac{n^k}{k!}[/tex]

Rather, you would end up with (please forgive me)

[tex]e^{-\infty}\sum_{k=0}^{+\infty}\frac{\infty^k}{k!}[/tex]

The above of course makes no sense. But I think it makes the situation clear.

4. Feb 19, 2013 #3

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Prove that what? That the series converges?

5. Feb 19, 2013 #4
    Sorry, prove the limit = 1/2 (could have sworn I had written it).

Micromass, thanks. I would be lying if I said I didn't suspect that was the problem, it still kind of makes me uneasy.

Anyways now I am trying to replace the sum by an integral (Euleur-Maclaurin), and I get:

[itex]\sum[/itex][itex]^{n}_{k=0}[/itex] e[itex]^{-n}[/itex][itex]\frac{n^k}{k!}[/itex] = 1/2 + [itex]\frac{e^{-n}}{2}[/itex][itex]\frac{n^n}{(n!)}[/itex] + [itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{n}_{0}[/itex] e[itex]^{-n}[/itex][itex]\frac{n^k}{k!}[/itex]dk

so I have hopes because the 1/2 is there to stay, the 2nd term probably goes to zero after taking the limit, same with the integral except I don't know how to handle the factorial in the integral. Now I am reading on Gamma functions.. maybe that will help.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  6. Feb 19, 2013 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

It may sound like a strange question, but do you know the Central Limit Theorem and Poisson distributions?

7. Feb 19, 2013 #6
    No, I haven't learned them.. although googling Poission distributions.. it seems it is related to my problem.

In applying for a Masters in Fluid Dynamics (Math) after getting a Physics Undergrad, one of my potential supervisors gave me a set of problems to 'check me out'. I killed most of them without too much sweat and tears, but this one really I'm having a hard time with.

Anyways,I will read about Poisson distributions and Central Limit Theorem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook