Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The limit of some integral

1. Jul 31, 2009 #1
    Dear all,
    I want to calculate the following integral

[tex]
    \int_{-\infty}^0 dk \frac{k\left(\frac{k^2-m^2}{k}\cos\frac{2(x M - k)c_0}{m y} + m\sin\frac{2(x M - k)c_0}{m y} + \frac{k^2+m^2}{2k}\right)}{\sinh^2\frac{(x M - k)\pi}{2my}((k^2 - m^2)^2 + 4 k^2 m^2 y^2)}
    [/tex]

in the limit [tex]y\to 1[/tex] to examine the small x regime (x > 0, x << 1). However, [tex]c_0[/tex] is given by

[tex]
    c_0 = \frac{1}{2}\operatorname{arctanh}y
    [/tex]

so it diverges in the limit [tex]y\to 1[/tex]. But then I would state that we may neglect the cosine and sine terms since they oscillate so rapidly that there contribution to the integral vanishes. My professor however, with whom I discussed this matter, says I am not eligible to do that since I want to examine the low-x regime where I get a pole in the limit [tex]x\to 0[/tex]. Than my arguing would not be true.

I told him I would try to give this one a rigourious mathematical treatment. But then 1) I can't see what is wrong with my arguments since I am not examing x = 0 but only small but non-zero x where there is no pole and 2) it looks so obvious to me that I don't really know how to treat this on solid mathematical grounds.

Thats why I would really appreciate a discussion about this integral in the limit [tex]y\to 1[/tex]. Hopefully some of you has some idea how to treat this.

A big thanks in advance!
    Blue2script

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2009 #2
    Yowzers, quite an integral.

If you're assuming small x...

Mx-k == -k

As long as Mx <<< k

4. Aug 5, 2009 #3

Mute

Homework Helper

I don't know if it would help any, but you could combine the cosine and sine using the identity

[tex]A\cos\phi + B\sin\phi = \sqrt{A^2 + B^2}\sin\left(\phi + \tan^{-1}\left(\frac{A}{B}\right)\right)[/tex]

(note: if A/B < 0, then a phase factor of pi must be added)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook