The limit of the product is the product of the limits.

In summary, when computing the limit of a product, it is important to remember that the limit of the product is the product of the limits. In this case, the limit of (t * cos(t)) / (e^(t)) as t goes to infinity is 0 because the function will oscillate between very small positive and very small negative numbers, but both numbers will approach 0 as t becomes infinitely large. The squeeze theorem can be used to prove this, by showing that the function is always between -t/e^t and t/e^t, both of which approach 0 as t goes to infinity.
Spectre5
I know that the limit as cos(t) goes to infinity is undefined becuase cosine oscillates between plus and minus one.

Now I have this limit to compute:

Limit of [ (t * cost(t)) / (e^(t)) ] as t goes to infinity

I know that the answer is 0 and I intuitively know why (because exp raises value far quicker than just t)

But, how do I go about proving this...the top is undefined and using LoHospitals rule gets no where becuase a (t * sin(t)) will still be in the numerator.

So how do I go about doing this? Can I just ignore the affects of the cos and just use LoHospitals rule for t/e^t??

Thanks for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
The limit of the product is the product of the limits.
Try separating your limit into things you can work with, and go from there.

You could use the formal Delta-Epsilon definition of a limit, but as you said earlier, you can intuitively look at the limit. Sine will oscillate between -1 and 1 forever, but x will continue to grow infinitely large. So the result will be that y-values of the function will get increasingly smaller for both positive and negative numbers. It will jump between very small positive and very small negative numbers, but both numbers are going to 0.

Last edited by a moderator:
Use this

[tex] -\frac{t}{e^{t}}\leq \frac{t\cos t}{e^{t}}\leq +\frac{t}{e^{t}} [/tex]

and then the "sqeeze theorem".

Daniel.

thanks for the help everyone

dextercioby: ahhhh forgot about the sqeeze therom :) thanks

That is "squeeze" :tongue2:

Rats!I hate mis-spelling :yuck:

Daniel.

Ya...and mine is not "sqeeze therom" but "squeeze theorem"...

I did both wrong haha...

1. What does the statement "The limit of the product is the product of the limits" mean?

This statement is a mathematical rule that applies to the limits of two functions that are multiplied together. It states that the limit of the product of two functions is equal to the product of their individual limits.

2. How is this statement useful in mathematics?

This statement is useful because it allows us to simplify the process of finding the limit of a product of functions. Instead of finding the limit of the product directly, we can find the limits of the individual functions and then multiply them together.

3. Can this statement be applied to more than two functions?

Yes, this statement can be extended to any number of functions that are multiplied together. The limit of the product of n functions is equal to the product of their individual limits.

4. Are there any conditions or restrictions for this statement to hold true?

Yes, for this statement to hold true, the individual limits of the functions must exist and the limit of their product must not be affected by the order in which the functions are multiplied.

5. How is this statement related to the product rule of limits?

This statement is essentially the product rule of limits in reverse. The product rule states that the derivative of a product of two functions is equal to the sum of their individual derivatives. Similarly, this statement states that the limit of a product of two functions is equal to the product of their individual limits.