Line Integral: Understanding Scalar & Vector

In summary, for a scalar line integral, the geometric interpretation is the area between a curve and a given function. It can also be thought of as a thin wall, with the length of the curve being integrated over. For a vector line integral, the sum of the unit tangent vectors along a curve is used. This represents the work done by a force in moving along the curve. In 3-D, the same ideas apply.
hholzer
I want to check my understanding of the line integral:

For a scalar line integral, what we have geometrically is
the area between a curve a given function, yes? Hence,
it can be thought of as a kind of thin wall, correct? And
where our function is f(x,y)=1, we have the length of the
curve we are integrating over.

For a vector line integral, we actually sum of the unit tangent
vectors along some curve, right?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, for a scalar line integral, at least, I managed to gain some intuition of what it is.

Imagine a surface over the x y plane where the height is determined by f1(x,y). Now draw a path on the surface, where the x and y coordinates of the path are determined by x(t) and y(t). You should have a line on a surface. Now extend the line down (or up) to the plane determined by f2(x,y)=0. Now you should be imagining something like a curtain, I suppose. The line integral is the area of that curtain.

Vector line integrals I have no idea.

hholzer said:
I want to check my understanding of the line integral:

For a scalar line integral, what we have geometrically is
the area between a curve a given function, yes? Hence,
it can be thought of as a kind of thin wall, correct? And
where our function is f(x,y)=1, we have the length of the
curve we are integrating over.

Yes, the "thin wall" interpretation is correct, but in my opinion hardly ever a good way to think of it. A better model is to think of the curve representing a wire with density per unit length f(x,y). The the line integral ∫c f(x,y) ds represents the mass of the wire. If f(x,y) ≡ 1 you get the length of the wire.

For a vector line integral, we actually sum of the unit tangent
vectors along some curve, right?

Yes. For this think of doing work by moving in a force field F. Then the line integral

[tex]\int_C \vec F \cdot d \vec R = \int_C \vec F \cdot \hat T\ ds[/tex]

represents the work done by the force in moving along the curve. Notice that the dot product gives the component of the force tangent to the path.The same ideas hold in 3-D.

LCKurts: thanks for that density interpretation, that's a good way to think about it!

1. What is a line integral?

A line integral is a mathematical concept used in vector calculus to calculate the total value of a scalar or vector field along a given curve or path. It represents the accumulation of the field values along the curve and can be used to measure work, flux, or other physical quantities.

2. What is the difference between a scalar and a vector field?

A scalar field is a mathematical function that assigns a single numerical value to every point in space. On the other hand, a vector field assigns a vector (magnitude and direction) to each point in space. In the context of line integrals, a scalar field is integrated to calculate the total value of a physical quantity, while a vector field is integrated to calculate the total work done or flux through a curve.

3. How do you calculate a line integral?

To calculate a line integral, you must first parameterize the given curve or path by defining a vector-valued function that represents the path. Then, you can integrate the scalar or vector field along this path using the appropriate formula, such as the Riemann sum, the line integral of a scalar field, or the line integral of a vector field.

4. What is the significance of line integrals?

Line integrals have many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. They can be used to calculate the work done by a force along a given path, the flux of a vector field through a surface, or the circulation of a vector field around a closed loop. They also play an important role in the fundamental theorem of calculus for line integrals.

5. Can line integrals be calculated in three dimensions?

Yes, line integrals can be calculated in three dimensions by extending the concept of a curve to a surface or a volume. In this case, the line integral becomes a surface or volume integral, and the path is replaced by a surface or a volume in space. The calculation process is similar to that of line integrals, but with the addition of an extra variable for the third dimension.