Understanding the Effect of Electrical Load on Generator Resistance

In summary: Resistive loads are things like light fixtures, motors, and fans, while reactive loads are things like gas appliances. If an increase in load is placed on a resistive load, the current will remain the same but the voltage will increase, as explained by brewnog. If an increase in load is placed on a reactive load, the current will drop, as explained by brewnog.
banerjeerupak
You see i came across this question during my viva in my practical examination. Well the question was that when we increase the electrical load on a genarator, does the resistance in the load increase or go down for the load to increase. we notice that the current remains constant...

Engineering news on Phys.org
On a typical arrangement, when you increase load, the speed drops. This is sensed by the generator's governor; fueling is increased, the speed rises again, and an increased power output is seen.

I don't understand the way you've phrased the question though; if you apply electrical load to the generator output, you apply mechanical load to the prime mover.

Could you clarify?

what i need to know is that there is a power generation plant. there the load is seen to increase. does this mean that the electrical resistances which consume power are being added up in series or in parallel.

Series or parallel? That doesn't have anything to do with what load the generator sees. Pretty much every house/building has a combination of both.

I'm really not sure what you are asking...

no but which happens when the load is increased...both?

Which what? What you are asking really makes no sense.

If you flip on a light, regardless of how it is wired, that extra energy being drained from the power grid causes the speed of a generator to slow as brewnog explained.

I may have interpreted this wrong, but it could possibly be about increasing voltage whilst having the current remain the same and observing the effect on the resistance, ie V=IR

The speed of the generator determines the voltage.

Increasing load implies increasing the power demand, which means increasing current for a fixed voltage. An increased current would also increase opposing torque on the generator, which slows it down, which lowers the voltage.

If additional load is placed in parallel, then the resistance drops.

On an AC system, one needs to consider resistive and reactive loads.

1. What is the load of a generator?

The load of a generator refers to the amount of electrical power that is being drawn from the generator at a given time. It is typically measured in watts or kilowatts.

2. How is the load of a generator determined?

The load of a generator is determined by the total amount of electrical devices and appliances that are connected to it and drawing power. This can vary depending on the size and capacity of the generator.

3. What factors can affect the load of a generator?

The load of a generator can be affected by a number of factors, including the total number and types of devices connected, the power requirements of those devices, and the length of time they are in use. Other environmental factors, such as temperature and altitude, can also impact the load of a generator.

4. How does the load of a generator impact its performance?

The load of a generator plays a crucial role in its performance. If the load is too high, the generator may struggle to meet the demand for power, resulting in a decrease in voltage and frequency. On the other hand, if the load is too low, the generator may not be operating at its optimal level, leading to inefficiency and potential damage.

5. How can the load of a generator be managed?

The load of a generator can be managed by carefully monitoring the amount of power being drawn and adjusting the load accordingly. This can involve adding or removing devices, using power management techniques, or investing in a generator with a higher capacity. Regular maintenance and servicing can also help ensure that the generator is operating at its best and able to handle its load effectively.