The Long, Strange Journey of Einstein's Brain

In summary: Did anyone see the documentary about a Japanese researcher who was in search of the whereabouts of Einstein's brain? It was made in 1994. It ends with the Japanese professor finding the sectioned brain in the home closet of a neuroscientist, where the formaldehyde has already far-evaporated in a few bottles. The Japanese scientist asks if he can take a piece back home with him to Japan, after which the neuroscientist slices a piece off on a bread board :eek: warning: is a fake documentary ;)In summary, Thomas Harvey, the pathologist on call that evening, did not have permission to remove and keep the brain for himself, and when the fact came to light, he solicited a reluctant and
The_Professional
Cite: Read the rest of the article here Brain
The strange journey of Einstein's brain began on the evening of April 17, 1955, when the seventy-six-year-old physicist was admitted to Princeton Hospital complaining of chest pains. He died early the next morning of a burst aortic aneurysm. As in the cases of Carl Gauss and Walt Whitman, the issue of permission to perform an autopsy is clouded by subsequent testimony. Thomas Harvey, the pathologist on call that evening, would later say, "I just knew we had permission to do an autopsy, and I assumed that we were going to study the brain." As reporters soon discovered, Harvey did not have permission. Nor did he have a legal right to remove and keep the brain for himself. When the fact came to light a few days later, Harvey managed to solicit a reluctant and retroactive blessing from Einstein's son, Hans Albert, with the now-familiar stipulation that any investigation would be conducted solely in the interest of science, and that any results would be published in reputable scientific journals.

Physics news on Phys.org
I read Driving Mr. Albert a few months ago. In it, Harvey comes off an an exceptionally odd person, and despite his claims that he was keeping Einstein's brain for study, it becomes clear he was keeping it as a trophy. He was, like, 84 when he gave it to Princeton and for most of the time he had it he was just keeping it, not looking around for people to study it. He kept the sectioned brain in two tupperware containers in a closet and seems to have gotten his jollies showing it to people he liked, and refusing to show it to those he didn't like.

zoobyshoe said:
He kept the sectioned brain in two tupperware containers in a closet
From what I read somewhere a few years ago, I recall something along the lines that the two tins were housed in a wooden chest (labeled 'Costa Cider') that sat under the sink (or somesuch).

Gokul43201 said:
From what I read somewhere a few years ago, I recall something along the lines that the two tins were housed in a wooden chest (labeled 'Costa Cider') that sat under the sink (or somesuch).
Maybe he kept them in a crate marked Live Maine Lobsters that he stored under his bed.

Did anyone see the documentary about a Japanese researcher who was in search of the whereabouts of Einstein's brain? It was made in 1994. It ends with the Japanese professor finding the sectioned brain in the home closet of a neuroscientist, where the formaldehyde has already far-evaporated in a few bottles. The Japanese scientist asks if he can take a piece back home with him to Japan, after which the neuroscientist slices a piece off on a bread board :eek: warning: is a fake documentary ;)
http://www.encyclopedia-obscura.com/moviesebrain.html

Monique said:
It ends with the Japanese professor finding the sectioned brain in the home closet of a neuroscientist, where the formaldehyde has already far-evaporated in a few bottles.
The doc was a pathologist from the Princeton Hospital.

What is "The Long, Strange Journey of Einstein's Brain" about?

"The Long, Strange Journey of Einstein's Brain" is a book that follows the history of Albert Einstein's brain after his death, including its removal, unauthorized studies, and ultimate fate.

Why was Einstein's brain removed?

Einstein's brain was removed without his or his family's consent during his autopsy in 1955. It is believed that the pathologist, Dr. Thomas Harvey, wanted to study the brain to try and determine what made Einstein a genius.

What happened to Einstein's brain after it was removed?

Dr. Harvey kept Einstein's brain in jars for over 40 years, during which he conducted various studies and even gave away some samples to other researchers. Eventually, the brain was returned to Einstein's family, who had it cremated and scattered the ashes in an undisclosed location.

What were the results of the studies conducted on Einstein's brain?

There is still much debate over the results of the studies conducted on Einstein's brain. Some researchers claim to have found unique features, such as an increased number of glial cells, while others argue that these features are not significant. Ultimately, it is difficult to draw definitive conclusions from such a small sample size.

Why is the journey of Einstein's brain considered "strange"?

The journey of Einstein's brain is considered "strange" because it was removed without permission, studied without proper authorization, and has had a tumultuous history since its removal. It has also been the subject of much controversy and speculation, making its journey even more unusual.