1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Look

1. May 9, 2007 #1
    For all those math majors out there, is it just me or do people (non-math/physics majors) give you a strange look when you say that you're a math major? Just recently I changed my major from Biology to Math. Whenever someone asks me how the Bio major is treating me, I reply saying I switched to math and they give me the strangest look as though I've made such an odd decision? Then they ask why I would do such a thing. What's up with that? I bet if I had said I switched to Psychology or someother major, I wouldn't be getting such quizzical looks.
  2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2007 #2
    non-math/physics/engineering/science majors usually don't understand why someone would want to major in something they dread so much. I don't think its the fact of the job opportunities for math majors but people in general dislike math if they aren't in an engineering//math major.

I had a few ME buddies and couldn't believe I was a comp sci major because they hated programming so much and never could understand how to grasp the concepts of programming and yet they were very good at physics/math.
  4. May 9, 2007 #3
    The look they are giving you is called 'awe' :smile:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?