Can the Lorentz Oscillator Model be Modified to Include Radiation Force?

In summary, the equation above is a model of damped oscillation of electron. The damping is modeled by the last term ##\gamma dy/dt## and since there is no single reason for its presence, it is understood as a way to model the resulting motion even if we do not know the details of forces acting on the electron.
hpjack
Hi Guys,

I'm looking into the Lorentz model
upload_2015-2-16_20-43-0.png

Since the acceleration/de-acceleration of electron can cause radiation hence create force, can anyone tell me how to modify the above equation to include the term of radiation force?

Thanks.

jack

Physics news on Phys.org
That's a delicate isssue. Have a look at Jackson, Classical Electrodynamics or Becker/Sauter under the keyword "radiation damping" or "radiation reaction".

hpjack said:
Hi Guys,

I'm looking into the Lorentz model
View attachment 79181

Since the acceleration/de-acceleration of electron can cause radiation hence create force, can anyone tell me how to modify the above equation to include the term of radiation force?

Thanks.

jack

Approximately, force on extended charged object due to its acceleration is given by the result of the calculation first done by Lorentz (check his book Theory of electrons). However, it is only approximate and gives results in contradiction to the rest of physics when used verbatim.

So if you have extended electron, you can use the Lorentz-Abraham formula (or better yet, Landau-Lifshitz formula) with some ground, but learn its deficiencies (check Feynman's textbooks, Landau&Lifshitz Classical Theory of Fields).

The derivation of the Poynting theorem and the Larmor formula is invalid for point electrons, so there is no necessity and convincing reason to use the Lorentz-Abraham formula for them.

The equation above is a model of damped oscillation of electron. The damping is modeled by the last term ##\gamma dy/dt## and since there is no single reason for its presence, it is understood as a way to model the resulting motion even if we do not know the details of forces acting on the electron. That means if self-force is present, part of it may be already described by this term.

Another great book is: F. Rohrlich, Classical charged particles.

vanhees71 said:
Another great book is: F. Rohrlich, Classical charged particles.

Some parts of the book discuss interesting topics and it is worth having a look, but author's views and support of procedures of questionable mathematical validity are not very convincing, in my opinion. Although the author was very self-confident in his papers and his book, I recommend taking it as one possible view on the problem, not as the work that solved it.

1. What is the Lorentz Oscillator Model?

The Lorentz Oscillator Model is a theoretical model used to describe the behavior of an oscillating electric dipole in an electric field. It was developed by the Dutch physicist Hendrik Lorentz in the late 19th century.

2. What is the significance of the Lorentz Oscillator Model?

The Lorentz Oscillator Model is significant because it provides a way to understand the interaction between light and matter. It forms the basis of the classical theory of electromagnetic radiation and helps explain phenomena such as refraction and polarization of light.

3. How does the Lorentz Oscillator Model work?

The model assumes that electric dipoles in a material are attached to harmonic oscillators, which are then coupled to the incident electric field. The dipoles oscillate at the same frequency as the electric field, resulting in the emission of electromagnetic radiation.

4. What are some real-world applications of the Lorentz Oscillator Model?

The Lorentz Oscillator Model has many practical applications, including in the design of electronic devices such as capacitors and antennas, as well as in understanding the behavior of light in various materials, such as in optics and spectroscopy.

5. Are there any limitations to the Lorentz Oscillator Model?

While the Lorentz Oscillator Model is a useful tool for understanding the behavior of light and matter, it has some limitations. For example, it does not take into account quantum effects and cannot fully explain phenomena such as the photoelectric effect. It is also only applicable to materials that have a linear response to electric fields.