Analyzing Power Absorption in a Lightly Damped Harmonic Oscillator

In summary, for a lightly damped harmonic oscillator and driving frequencies close to the natural frequency ω ≈ ω0, the power absorbed is approximately proportional to $\frac{\gamma^{2}/4}{\left(\omega_{0}-\omega\right)^{2}+\gamma^{2}/4}$ where γ is the damping constant. This is known as the Lorentzian function.
mbigras

Homework Statement

For a lightly damped harmonic oscillator and driving frequencies close to the natural frequency [itex]\omega \approx \omega_{0}[/itex], show that the power absorbed is approximately proportional to
[tex]
\frac{\gamma^{2}/4}{\left(\omega_{0}-\omega\right)^{2}+\gamma^{2}/4}
[/tex]
where [itex]\gamma[/itex] is the damping constant. This is the so called Lorentzian function.

Homework Equations

[tex]
\text{Average power absorbed} = P_{avg} = \frac{F_{0}^{2} \omega_{0}}{2k Q} \frac{1}{\left(\frac{\omega_{0}}{\omega}-\frac{\omega}{\omega_{0}}\right)^{2}+\frac{1}{Q^{2}}} \\

\omega_{0} = \sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}\\

m = \frac{b}{\gamma}\\
\text{where $b$ is the damping constant and $m$ is the mass}\\

\Delta \omega = \frac{\gamma}{2}
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The course of action that I took goes like:
1.Find [itex]k[/itex] and [itex]Q[/itex] in terms of [itex]\omega_{0}[/itex] and [itex]\gamma[/itex].
2. Chug through and do some algebra (and it is here that its very possible that a mistake was made, but I'll put my result not all the steps).
3. Expand a function about [itex]w_{0}[/itex] and make approximations so that [itex]\Delta \omega[/itex] is small.
(4) See the above equation fall out. This is the stage that I'm stuck at.

[tex]
k = b \frac{\omega_{0}^{2}}{\gamma}\\
Q = \frac{\omega_{0}}{\gamma}\\
2 \Delta \omega = \gamma
\\
P_{avg} = \text{plug in and do lots of algebra...}\\
P_{avg} = \frac{\frac{\omega^{2}\gamma^{2}}{(\omega+\omega_{0})^{2}}}{(\omega_{0}-\omega)^{2}+\frac{\omega^{2}\gamma^{2}}{(\omega+\omega_{0})^{2}}}
[/tex]
Then taylor expanding [itex]f(\omega) = \frac{\omega^{2}}{(\omega+\omega_{0})^{2}}[/itex] about [itex]\omega_{0}[/itex]...

Am I on the right try here? I'd like that taylor expansion to equal [itex]\frac{1}{4}[/itex] because then the equation would match the one described in the question but I'm trying it by hand and with mathematica and I'm not seeing them match.

Physics news on Phys.org
mbigras said:

Homework Statement

For a lightly damped harmonic oscillator and driving frequencies close to the natural frequency [itex]\omega \approx \omega_{0}[/itex], show that the power absorbed is approximately proportional to
[tex]
\frac{\gamma^{2}/4}{\left(\omega_{0}-\omega\right)^{2}+\gamma^{2}/4}
[/tex]
where [itex]\gamma[/itex] is the damping constant. This is the so called Lorentzian function.

Homework Equations

[tex]
\text{Average power absorbed} = P_{avg} = \frac{F_{0}^{2} \omega_{0}}{2k Q} \frac{1}{\left(\frac{\omega_{0}}{\omega}-\frac{\omega}{\omega_{0}}\right)^{2}+\frac{1}{Q^{2}}} \\

\omega_{0} = \sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}\\

m = \frac{b}{\gamma}\\
\text{where $b$ is the damping constant and $m$ is the mass}\\

\Delta \omega = \frac{\gamma}{2}
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The course of action that I took goes like:
1.Find [itex]k[/itex] and [itex]Q[/itex] in terms of [itex]\omega_{0}[/itex] and [itex]\gamma[/itex].
2. Chug through and do some algebra (and it is here that its very possible that a mistake was made, but I'll put my result not all the steps).
3. Expand a function about [itex]w_{0}[/itex] and make approximations so that [itex]\Delta \omega[/itex] is small.
(4) See the above equation fall out. This is the stage that I'm stuck at.

[tex]
k = b \frac{\omega_{0}^{2}}{\gamma}\\
Q = \frac{\omega_{0}}{\gamma}\\
2 \Delta \omega = \gamma
\\
P_{avg} = \text{plug in and do lots of algebra...}\\
P_{avg} = \frac{\frac{\omega^{2}\gamma^{2}}{(\omega+\omega_{0})^{2}}}{(\omega_{0}-\omega)^{2}+\frac{\omega^{2}\gamma^{2}}{(\omega+\omega_{0})^{2}}}
[/tex]
Then taylor expanding [itex]f(\omega) = \frac{\omega^{2}}{(\omega+\omega_{0})^{2}}[/itex] about [itex]\omega_{0}[/itex]...

Am I on the right try here? I'd like that taylor expansion to equal [itex]\frac{1}{4}[/itex] because then the equation would match the one described in the question but I'm trying it by hand and with mathematica and I'm not seeing them match.
That was very good and basically done. The key point is that we Taylor expand around $\omega \approx \omega_0$, in which case
##\frac{\omega^{2}}{(\omega+\omega_{0})^{2}} \approx 1/4 ## and the answer is obtained.

mbigras said:
[tex]P_{avg} = \frac{\frac{\omega^{2}\gamma^{2}}{(\omega+\omega_{0})^{2}}}{(\omega_{0}-\omega)^{2}+\frac{\omega^{2}\gamma^{2}}{(\omega+\omega_{0})^{2}}}[/tex]
Multiply both the numerator and the denominator by (ω+ω0)2.
[tex]P_{avg} = \frac{\omega^{2}\gamma^{2}}{(\omega_{0}-\omega)^{2}(\omega+\omega_{0})^{2}+\omega^{2}\gamma^{2}}[/tex]
When ω is near to ω0 you can replace ω+ω0 by 2ω, and the formula for Pavg can be simplified by ω2.
[tex]P_{avg} = \frac{\gamma^{2}}{4(\omega_{0}-\omega)^2+\gamma^{2}}[/tex]

1. What is a lightly damped harmonic oscillator?

A lightly damped harmonic oscillator is a physical system that exhibits oscillatory motion, where the motion is affected by a restoring force that is proportional to the displacement from an equilibrium position. The damping in a lightly damped harmonic oscillator is relatively small, meaning that the energy dissipation is minimal and the oscillations continue for a longer period of time.

2. How is power absorption measured in a lightly damped harmonic oscillator?

Power absorption in a lightly damped harmonic oscillator is measured by calculating the rate at which energy is dissipated by the damping force. This can be done by measuring the amplitude and frequency of the oscillations, as well as the damping coefficient of the system. The power absorption is then calculated using the equation P = 2πfA^2β, where P is the power absorption, f is the frequency, A is the amplitude, and β is the damping coefficient.

3. What factors affect power absorption in a lightly damped harmonic oscillator?

There are several factors that can affect power absorption in a lightly damped harmonic oscillator, including the damping coefficient, the amplitude and frequency of the oscillations, and the mass and stiffness of the system. Additionally, the external driving force and any external disturbances can also impact the power absorption in the system.

4. How does power absorption change over time in a lightly damped harmonic oscillator?

In a lightly damped harmonic oscillator, the power absorption initially increases as the amplitude of the oscillations decreases due to damping. However, as the amplitude approaches a steady-state value, the power absorption also reaches a steady-state value. This means that the power absorption in a lightly damped harmonic oscillator is not constant over time, but rather varies as the system approaches equilibrium.

5. What are some real-life applications of analyzing power absorption in a lightly damped harmonic oscillator?

Analyzing power absorption in a lightly damped harmonic oscillator can have a wide range of applications, such as in designing shock absorbers for vehicles, dampening vibrations in buildings and bridges, and understanding the behavior of electrical circuits. It can also be applied in studying the behavior of musical instruments and the human respiratory system. Additionally, analyzing power absorption in a lightly damped harmonic oscillator can help in developing more efficient and stable systems in various industries.