1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The lowest energy eigenvalue

1. Jul 17, 2007 #1
    Shankar 163

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that for any normalized |psi>, <psi|H|psi> is greater than or equal to E_0, where E_0 is the lowest energy eigenvalue. (Hint: Expand |psi> in the eigenbasis of H.)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I think the question assumes the V = 0, so H = P^2/2m. The eigenvalues for the equation P^2/2m|p> = E|p> are then p = +/- (2mE)^(1/2) and the eigenkets are of the form | p = + (2mE)^(1/2)> and | p = (2mE)^(1/2)> (or in energy terms the eigenvalues are of the form |E,->, |E,+> and the eigenkets are the same as the momentum ones. I'm not really sure how you can expand anything with these though...
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2007 #2
    No, this statement is valid for any Hamiltonian.
    To spare your pencil, assume the system has only two basis states and develop <psi|H|psi>, you will see how obvious this result is.
    (take the basis states as H-eigenvectors for simplicity, then imagine th consequence if you don't know these eigenvectors but would like to find the fundamental state, very useful statement indeed!)
  4. Jul 17, 2007 #3
    This is how we expand [tex] \Psi [/tex] in terms of the eigenbasis of H :

Use the fact that the eigenvalues of H which is [tex]\{\Psi_0,\Psi_1,\Psi_2 ...\}}[/tex] forms the basis of a Hilbert space. Notice Hibert space is completed.
    That means any vector [tex]\Psi[/tex] could be written as a linearly combinition of [tex]\Psi_0,\Psi_1,\Psi_2 ...[/tex]
    i.e. [tex]\Psi = c_0\Psi_0+c_1\Psi_1+c_2\Psi_2+...[/tex].

The problem should be trivial from this point ( use the orthogonality of the eigenvector, although the eigenvectors in degenerate state are not orthogonal, they do not affect the result. )
  5. Jul 18, 2007 #4
    Of course the end result is

<H> = p1 H1 + p2 H2 + ...

where pi is the probability of being in state i,
    and 0<pi<1
    and p1 + p2 + ... = 1
  6. Jul 18, 2007 #5
    OK. So we use the time-independent version of the Schrodinger equation H * psi = E * psi.

So [tex]|\psi> = p0 * |H0> +p1 * |H1 > + ...= a0 * |E0> + a1 * | E1> + .... [/tex]

p (and my choice of a) are arbitrary letters, right? You did not use p for momentum did you lalbatros?

Now, [tex] <\psi| H | /psi> = (E0*a0 + E1*a1 + ...)</psi|/psi> = E0*a0 + E1*a1 + ... [/tex]

So the minimum of that expression would occur when a0 = 1 and ai = 0 for all i > 1.

Does that explanation work?
  7. Jul 18, 2007 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your notation is confusing. I'll confuse the waters a little more by posting ugly, non-TeX. Which I prefer to garbled TeX. |psi>=sum(ci*|Ei>). ci are the amplitudes, |Ei> is the eigenstate corresponding to eigenvalue Ei. So <psi|H|psi>=sum(ci*conjugate(ci)*<Ei|H|Ei>)=sum(ci*conjugate(ci)*Ei*<Ei|Ei>).
    Since we'll take |Ei> normalized <Ei|Ei>=1.
    So <psi|H|psi>=sum(pi*Ei) where pi=ci*conjugate(ci). Since we'll also take |psi> normalized, sum(pi)=1.

So if sum(pi)=1, pi>=0, do you believe sum(pi*Ei)>=E0 where E0 is the smallest of the Ei's? Can you prove it?
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2007
  8. Jul 19, 2007 #7
    I believe it.

sum(pi*Ei) >= sum(pi*E0) = sum(pi)*E0 = E0
  9. Jul 19, 2007 #8
    How do you go from |psi>=sum(ci*|Ei>) to <psi|H|psi> = sum(ci*conjugate(ci)*<Ei|H|Ei>)?

Shouldn't it be something like <psi|H|psi> = sum(conjugate(ci)*<Ei|) H sum(ci*|Ei>) just by replacing |psi> with sum(ci*|Ei>) and < psi| with sum(conjugate(ci)*<Ei|)?
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2007
  10. Jul 19, 2007 #9

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

We've taken the |Ei> to be orthonormal, so <Ei|Ej>=delta(i,j) And H(ci*|Ei>)=ci*Ei*|Ei>. And your proof is perfect.
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2007
  11. Jul 19, 2007 #10
    I see. Thanks.
  12. Jul 19, 2007 #11

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You really do? You're not kidding, right?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?