Making a Mac-o-Lantern - Step-by-Step Guide

• Thread starter neutrino
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a process for creating a Mac-o-Lantern, using a mini Mac computer and a pumpkin. The participants make jokes about "pimping" the pumpkin and suggest adding liquid cooling for a more impressive result. Someone also mentions wanting to see instructions for sawing apart an old tangerine iMac.
neutrino
http://www3.uark.edu/bkst/macmod/images/IMG_0402.jpg

Have a look at the whole process of making a Mac-o-Lantern
http://www3.uark.edu/bkst/macmod/page1.htm

:biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
That's awesomely hilarious!:rofl: :rofl:

Dang, and here I was hoping to see info on how to saw apart an iMac...

wow kind of like "Pimp my Pumpkin"

hypatia said:
:rofl: :rofl:

Does this mean that there's a cyborg Cinderella out there somewhere?

russ_watters said:
The picture was slow loading, so I had gone off to check the link before it appeared. I was expecting something with those old tangerine iMacs. :biggrin: I'd have been glad to saw one of those apart. :rofl:

russ_watters said:
You normally use a screwdriver and a putty knife

hypatia said:

Now they need to liquid cool it. Then i'd be really impressed:biggrin:

Well, if they stuck a Mac Pro in there maybe, but it's just a mini mac.

1. How do I choose the right pumpkin for a Mac-o-Lantern?

To make a Mac-o-Lantern, you will need to select a pumpkin that is round and has a smooth surface. Avoid pumpkins with any soft spots or bruises. The size of the pumpkin is up to you, but keep in mind that larger pumpkins may be more difficult to carve.

2. What tools do I need to make a Mac-o-Lantern?

To make a Mac-o-Lantern, you will need a sharp knife or pumpkin carving tools, a spoon or scoop, and a marker or pencil. You may also want to have a smaller knife or carving tool for more intricate designs.

3. How do I carve a Mac-o-Lantern?

Start by cutting off the top of the pumpkin, making a hole large enough to fit your hand and scoop out the insides. Once the pumpkin is hollow, draw a design onto the pumpkin with a marker or pencil. Use a knife or carving tool to carefully cut along the design, removing the excess pumpkin. Be sure to carve away from your body to avoid injury.

4. How do I keep my Mac-o-Lantern from rotting?

To keep your Mac-o-Lantern from rotting, you can apply a thin layer of petroleum jelly to the inside and carved areas of the pumpkin. This will help seal in the moisture and slow down the decaying process. You can also keep the pumpkin in a cool, dry place when not on display.

5. How long will a Mac-o-Lantern last?

A Mac-o-Lantern can last for a few days to a couple of weeks, depending on how well it is maintained. Keeping it in a cool, dry place and applying a thin layer of petroleum jelly can help extend its lifespan. However, as with any carved pumpkin, it will eventually start to rot and should be discarded when it becomes soft and mushy.