How Accurate is Your Speed-Time Graph?

• Thread starter Anzas
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, this conversation revolves around a physics teacher who asked students to draw a graph of speed as a function of time. The conversation discusses the differences between a distance vs time graph and a speed vs time graph, as well as the implications of an idealized graph versus a more realistic one. The main question being debated is which approach is more effective in teaching students the intended concepts.
Anzas
my physics teacher made this graph and asked us to draw the graph of the speed as a function of time
heres what i got tell me what you think...

Attachments

• physen.JPG
    physen.JPG
    7.2 KB · Views: 391
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good. The "distance vs time" graphs (I assume that's what they are- you didn't say so) are made of straight line segments so the corresponding speed is a constant, the slope of the distance graph and the speed vs time graph is a horizontal straight line for that time interval.

that teacher of my, called the speed/time graph a function, the speed is not even defined at a few points because the acceleration is infinite :rofl:

Can you elaborate? Is your prof calling it a time machine? or are you?

Unless I misunderstand, it seems that you are splitting hairs. This is a sketch, designed to show the relevant aspects of the data - the relationship between changing velocity and position. The accelerative aspects are made deliberately trivial. Technically, yes, the slope would be defined, and in reality would not be vertical.

i just call it a time mechine as a joke (because the acceleration at a few points is infinite) i personally think its a mistake giving such a graph in class all it does is make people confused on how it is possible that the acceleration is infinite.

The point about "the speed is not even defined at a few points because the acceleration is infinite" refers to the points at which the distance graph has "corners". The velocity itself is not defined there and the graph "jumps" from one value to another.

Well, let's just say that these graphs are on an ideal case where velocity is able to switch to any value at any point of time which is in fact irrational.

You are clever enough to see that the graph is too simplistic for your own level of understanding. Not everyone will grasp the concepts quite so quickly.

The question at hand is, what treatment best teaches the student body the concepts intended?

If the teacher is trying to teach the relationship between velocity and distance, an idealized graph will do that, without obfuscating the issue with real - yet contextually irrelevant - facts.

What is "The Magical Time Machine"?

"The Magical Time Machine" is a hypothetical device that is often depicted in science fiction stories, movies, and TV shows. It is a machine that is capable of transporting a person or object through time, allowing them to experience events in the past or future.

Is time travel possible?

Currently, time travel is not possible according to our current understanding of physics. The laws of physics, particularly the concept of causality, make it difficult to envision a way for time travel to occur. However, some theories in physics, such as wormholes and black holes, suggest that time travel may be possible in the future.

What are the potential consequences of time travel?

The consequences of time travel are largely unknown and would depend on the specific mechanics of time travel. Some theories suggest that changing events in the past could create paradoxes or alter the timeline in unforeseen ways. Other theories suggest that time travel may be limited to observation only, without the ability to alter events.

Has anyone ever built a time machine?

No, to our knowledge, no one has successfully built a time machine. While there have been many scientific theories and experiments on time travel, no one has been able to create a functioning time machine that has been tested and proven to work.

What are the ethical implications of time travel?

The ethical implications of time travel are complex and largely unexplored. The ability to alter events in the past could have significant consequences for the present and future. This raises questions about the responsibility of time travelers and the potential impact on the lives of others. It is a topic that would require careful consideration and discussion before any practical application of time travel could be considered.