Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The male mind, or what men really think about

1. Oct 2, 2003 #1
    The man/woman bashing thread-join in the fun!

The male brain secretes less of the powerful primary bonding chemical oxytocin and less of the calming chemical serotonin than the female brain.

So while women find emotional conversations a good way to chill out at the end of the day, the tired male brain needs to zone out all that touchy-feely chatter in order to relax -- which is why he wants the remote control to zap through "mindless" sport or action movies.

His brain takes in less sensory detail than a woman's, so he doesn't see or even feel the dust and household mess in the same way. Anyhow, the male brain attaches less personal identity to the inside of a home and more to the workplace or the yard -- which is why he doesn't get worked up about housework.
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2003
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2003 #2
    A man needs a maid.
  4. Oct 3, 2003 #3
    that good....never thought of that...
  5. Oct 3, 2003 #4
    See? So lay off women!hehehe
  6. Oct 3, 2003 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

*REALLY* the researchers that concluded this were all male by any chance?
  7. Oct 4, 2003 #6

Gold Member

Yes, 'Neil'. But if a woman has a man, she NEEDS a maid!!!
  8. Oct 4, 2003 #7
    Re: Re: The male mind, or what men really think about

who cares? this is science at work Can't fight genetics
  9. Oct 5, 2003 #8
    A man needs a maid that's mute.
  10. Oct 5, 2003 #9

jimmy p

Gold Member

lol the joy of sexist remarks...you forgot one point...'and does what she is damn well told' lol

Sorry to any women that are reading this, i dont mean to be sexist, it's just so easy
  11. Oct 5, 2003 #10
    The guy who did the study wasnt even a scientist, hes a layman.
  12. Oct 5, 2003 #11

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

sounds to me zantra, that you are using "scientific" research as an excuse to prove yourself right to a certain lady?
  13. Oct 5, 2003 #12

Staff: Mentor

So get me a beer then leave me alone.... Science rules.
  14. Oct 5, 2003 #13
    Whatcha bet that maid gonna have to be a female? haha

You're on your toes. I like that, 'Mr. Young'
  15. Oct 5, 2003 #14
    actually she doesn't even read PF(thank god!)

I save my sexist remarks for the anonymous masses:wink:

Although it does make sense. A man spends more time on average, at work than any place else. So of course he's going to have more attachment to the place he spends the most itme
  16. Oct 6, 2003 #15

Gold Member

That would be 'Ms. Young'.:wink:

Now, if I could just find a maid that can make a good, SPICY Bloody Mary and keep his mouth shut...
  17. Oct 6, 2003 #16

Gold Member

BYW...The guys in this thread might appreciate a lot of these:

We always hear "the rules" from the female side. Now here are the rules from the male side. These are our rules! Please note... these are all numbered "1" ON PURPOSE!

1. Learn to work the toilet seat. You're a big girl. If it's up, put it down. We need it up, you need it down. You don't hear us complaining about you leaving it down.

1. Sunday = sports. It's like the full moon or the changing of the
    tides. Let it be.

1. Shopping is NOT a sport. And no, we are never going to think of it that way.

1. Crying is blackmail.

1. Ask for what you want... Let us be clear on this one: Subtle hints do not work! Strong hints do not work! Obvious hints do not work! Just say it!

1. Yes and no are perfectly acceptable answers to almost every

1. Come to us with a problem only if you want help solving it. That's what we do. Sympathy is what your girlfriends are for.

1. A headache that lasts for 17 months is a problem. See a doctor.

1. Anything we said 6 months ago is inadmissible in an argument. In
    fact, all comments become null and void after 7 days.

1. If you won't dress like the Victoria's Secret girls, don't expect us to act like soap opera guys.

1. If something we said could be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, we meant the other one.

1. You can either ask us to do something or tell us how you want it
    done. Not both. If you already know best how to do it, just do it

1. Whenever possible, please say whatever you have to say during

1. Christopher Columbus did not need directions and neither do we.

1. ALL men see in only 16 colors, like Windows default settings. Peach, for example, is a fruit, not a color. Pumpkin is also a fruit. We have no idea what mauve is.

1. If it itches, it will be scratched. We do that.

1. If we ask what is wrong and you say "nothing," we will act like
    nothing's wrong. We know you are lying, but it is just not worth the

1. If you ask a question you don't want an answer to, expect an answer you don't want to hear.

1. When we have to go somewhere, absolutely anything you wear is fine. Really.

1. Don't ask us what we're thinking about unless you are prepared to discuss such topics as baseball, the shotgun formation, or monster

1. You have enough clothes.

1. You have too many shoes.

1. I am in shape. Round is a shape.

1. Thank you for reading this; Yes, I know, I have to sleep on the
    couch tonight, but did you know men really don't mind that, it's like

On the other hand, women might appreciate THIS:

An angel of truth and a dream of fiction,
    A woman is a bundle of contradiction,
    She's afraid of a wasp, will scream at a mouse,
    But will tackle a stranger alone in the house.
    Sour as vinegar, sweet as a rose,
    She'll kiss you one minute, then turn up her nose,
    She'll win you in rage, enchant you in silk,
    She'll be stronger than brandy, milder than milk,
    At times she'll be vengeful, merry and sad,
    She'll hate you like poison, and love you like mad.

18. Oct 6, 2003 #17
    LOL, I especially liked rule number 1
  19. Oct 6, 2003 #18
    Re: Re: The male mind, or what men really think about

Or ALL the men...
    This is very generally speaking of course, if not VERY weak, put in nowadays perspective.

Not just that, they are very nice scientific studies for many men today, giving us all these wonderful reasons to relax.(And women do all the housework and kid-care?) No weird many men look for these studies o_O

I tend to take women sides on these issues. Ignorance pisses me off!

Emotions are important. Someone needs to write a groundbreakingly serious good book about this nowdays.
    Or men should read David Hume's Treatise of Human Nature more often.

I'd like to do another propositions by B. Spinoza:

(IV)P18: A desire which arises from joy is stronger, other things equal, than one which arises from sadness.

(IV)P21: No one can desire to be blessed, to act well and to live well, unless at the same time he desires to be, to act, and to live, that is, to actually exist.

(IV)P30: No thing can be evil through what it has in common with our nature; but insofar as it is evil for us, it is contrary to us.

(III)P9: Each thing, as far as it can by its own power, strives to preservere in its being.

(III)P7: The striving by which each thing strives to perservere in its being is nothing but the actual essence of the thing.

(III)P11: The idea of any thing that increases or diminishes, aids or restrains, our body's power of acting, increases or diminishes, aids or restrains, our mind's power of thinking.

(III)P13: When the mind imagines those things that diminish or restrain the body's power of acting, it strives, as far as it can, to recollect things which exclude their existence.

(III)P54: The mind strives to imagine only those things which posit its power of acting

(III)P55: When the mind imagines its own lack of power, it is saddened by it.

''''' The male mind, or what men really think about ''''''

They think about those things that goes happily with their now self existent nature. Which is obvious looking in this thread. And rather obvious to me also, since I have(had) several female friends.
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2003
  20. Oct 6, 2003 #19
    Why don't ALL women get these rules? It's so simple:wink:
  21. Oct 6, 2003 #20
    One don't

Scientificly, if you count per-cent, and justifiably, men SHOULD put the seat down. It's as simple as that, because both take a ****, and only 1/4 of the toilet visits need the toilet seat up. Men even forget their precious science and calculations, in trying to fight for their own preserverence.

Sports usually sucks!
    Gee, I wanna waste my life away on watching people go right......left.......right.....left.....right....

At least you get some excerice instead of sitting in that couch watching left right left right with your stinking sweater from last week.

Even brave men in antic greek times cried. Sadly many see this as a weakness these days.

Yeah, we're probably too stupid understanding any hints.

True. Just try and make sure your message gets through.

Friends are for sympathy. And we really need to work those communication skills of ours!

Or ask us for a head-massage. We LOVE touching that hair of yours.

Yeah, like these rules

Great communication! A new relationship every 7 days!

Because as we all know, appearence is what matters!
    Go shopping! And we'll sit and watch sports!
    Great communication!

Of course, all men are saints. As you well can see from these posts :D

1+1=1. Stick to your shopping! We want to live with you for 40 years only to have something to look at besides watching right left right left right.

Movies are best understood and experienced alone. Communication should be treated as appearence. Recommendable: Sports and action.

No, we well see how good grades we're getting compared to women. And how well we gouverned the last century, with 100 people dead of war every hour.

Teach us.

Your skin is holy too.

Women say nothing, because they know we're not as communicative as they are. But sometimes, they really wished we would care more about than just ourself and our sports.
    We don't have to say 'nothing', because usually when we open our mouths, we know they usually want us to say more.

Life exists of more than Questions and Answers. Admit it, we don't have answers for everything. Open your mind. Or try to communicate more.

The whole of you shines through. We obnoxiously love women! Try to make us look a little futher.
    The first moments with you, heaven sucks.

Uhhhhhh... ask us where the shotgun is, if we're as stupid as showing off, shoot us. Before we come upon some stupid accident shoting our only child.

Got some unisex ? We really need some.

Please look ugly.

We enjoy life. We enjoy you. Please be patient, and learn our positive sides too. We got many too.

I can sleep everywhere! It's really freaky.

Can you believe so many of us men choose to live our life so emotionless like this ?
    Don't we want to experience life ? Don't you just want to SCREAM of happyness ? So much you can't even explain it in words or express it outside of you ?

Life is more than A to B. Hopefully. Life is a thing in itself. You don't get to see A to B, and enjoy the result afterwards. Live your life now, Carpe Diem.
    See life as a mountain, not a road. Forwards is result, upwards is happyness.

Women can't teach us everything.

Even though emotions is just a little part of this issue, I think emotions is not just something that improves your life-quality, but also is something that make things better for people around you.
    When your more happy yourself, it makes you more capable, and shines to other people. Start climbing! Make sure you don't fall down, and take down people with you.

Wait, I'm starting to like your reply!
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2003
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?