Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Marfa lights mystery of Texas

1. Oct 17, 2003 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2003 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Last edited: Oct 18, 2003
  4. Oct 19, 2003 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.science-frontiers.com/sf074/sf074g14.htm
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.100megsfree4.com/farshores/nqlights.htm
    --------------------------------------------------------------

Some interesting pictures:
    http://www.earthwaves.org/eqlight.htm
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

Also discussed:
    http://www.mysterylights.com/types/
    --------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Oct 19, 2003
  5. Oct 27, 2003 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A spooky mystery of light

http://www.news8austin.com/content/headlines/?ArID=87555&SecID=2

6. Nov 25, 2003 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

7. Nov 25, 2003 #6
    I grew up in Grandfalls TX, about 95 miles N, NE of Marfa. School trips and family outings often wound up bringing me down highway 67 or 90 at nightime and often the lights gave an excuse to stop and take a break. I have seen the lights on numerous occasions and I have made several scientific excursions to the area with various equipment, optical and RF to survey the area. My favorite veiwing device is still an 8" or larger telescope with a few folks doing binocular spotting to guide you to new targets.

Thermal inversions near the ground are some of the most intense I have experienced anywhere. On one April night, a HeNe laser aimed at a retroreflector 2 miles away showed significant distortion. Simpler just to look at the yard lights of the handful of ranch houses through a telescope. There is a very unsettled atmosphere at ground level, while not a constant, it should be taken into account.

Many sightings ARE atmospheric distortions of manmade light sources. This is important to accept as a fact. The many ranch roads that run all over that area have vehicle traffic. Headlights can be distorted to the extent that at two miles even WITH a telescope a truck at night appears to be a ball of light surrounded by a cloud of dust.

Now that I have discouraged most folks, there is a separate and unique light phenomenon in the area of the Chianati mountain range that I can not explain. Balls of light sitting in a chico bush, atop a small pile of rocks or on the foundation of a removed radio antenna spitting streamers and shifting color from yellow to purple and red, a few flashes of yellow streamers and the light blinks out. The lights in the washes and gulleys that you can only see shadows from really get my heart pumping. I want so much to see what they are doing. Normally you just wait and a few will pop out in plain sight. The color changes and lightning like tendrils are very neat to watch. One I really enjoyed watching moved straight up a cliff face and then rested on top of the mountain changing from bright yellow to a dim red then blinked a couple times and was gone.

One Marfa light story is special. I talked to several involved and recorded the story for posterity. This was the closest encounter I am aware of. A group of 11 returning from a church event in Presidio TX stopped to look for the lights off Hwy 67 N-NE of Marfa on a dirt ranch road. Shortly after parking and exiting the vehicle an intensly glowing blue light on the burm ~50yds down the road from the van was seen by all. This light was observed on the roadside for ~3 min. The group cautiously approached the unmoving light. One individual picked the pebble sized object up and held it in the palm of his hand. No heat, intense and even cobalt blue light, about the weight of balsa wood, ~1/4" long-slightly elliptical smooth to touch, just past dusk, 2 miles S-SE on Hovey Rd off of HWY67, month of April 1997. After ~2 min of watching the lighted pebble, a wave of black "oil" appeared on the surface, interfering with the light. The "oil" spun around the small object and it appeared to cover the blue central light as well as the object was shrinking quickly. The light blinked a few times an then went out completely and nothing was left in the individuals hand. No burns. No residue.

Strange but this is an actual account from the individuals that were there. I want more folks out there to pick up that glowing pebble and tell me about it. Pictures and video are prefered. I have hundreds of pounds of rocks from that area and not one will glow for me. I have collected plants that the lights were observed to be "stuck" in and no burns, nothing strange at all. Just plants.

A remote spectrographic camera system working from dusk to dawn streaming to the Internet would be ideal. I estimate a serious research platform could be built from off the shelf components and software for $10-11K. About $120 a month to maintain, operate and stream the data, less if I don't need to go solar powered. *Finding someone to allow it to be put on their property would be all I need to get me motivated.*

I have a few ideas, most involve low voltage high current plasmoids with multiple charged cores for stability. They could be generated by voltage anomalies and kicked off the perovskite layer following paths around the inactive volcanic vents. But of course my ideas mean nothing, only science can answer the question of the Marfa lights and as of now, there is not enough fundamental work done.

8. Dec 3, 2003 #7
    This phenomenon is fascinating and I agree that it should be seriously investigated by people employing hard science.

The same effects, occuring on a transient basis, probably account for a certain percentage of ufo sightings.

It is hard to understand why these effects, which remain localized and which repeat frequently, haven't been thoroughly studied and understood. There is quite an opportunity going to waste.

9. Dec 24, 2003 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The fact that these are so difficult to study could mean that the source is something very interesting. I think the same is true for ball lighting. We give something a name - ball lighting, earthlights, whatever - but this does not mean that the explanation is uninteresting. When I hear comments made that some UFO sighting was only earthlights, or just ball lighting, I seriously question the assumptions of "only, and "just". For example, the only purported demonstration of artificial ball-lightning was barely reminiscent of the actual phenomenon. It seems that we can’t explain how stable “ball lighting” or “earthlights” could exist.

10. Dec 24, 2003 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

11. Jan 27, 2004 #10
    Marfa Mystery Lights

New information is available regarding Marfa's Mystery Lights. Please visit www.nightorbs.net for pictures, spectra, and data.

12. Jan 27, 2004 #11
    Re: Marfa Mystery Lights

I went there and could not find the new available info.

13. Jan 27, 2004 #12
    Hi Zoobyshoe

Did you not reach the site or did you reach the site and consider the information nothing new? The site is .net, not .com This site does have pictures, spectra and data not shown before.

Over

14. Jan 27, 2004 #13
    Yes, I clicked on the link you put in your first post. There is a fancy graphic saying "welcome to nightorbs". Below it there are three links, one to submit info about your own sightings and two others to submit comments.

I don't see any info on that page or any links to another page that might have info.

15. Jan 28, 2004 #14
    Night Orbs Key

Now I understand. Below the fancy "Welcome to Night Orbs" title is a blue bar with tabs to seven+ pages. Put your cursor over the blue bar and the tab you are selecting turns red. Press the left mouse key and you are taken to that page.

16. Feb 4, 2004 #15

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks nightorbs! It is great to see that someone is working on this.

I may have some questions later...

17. Jan 8, 2005 #16
    Marfa Lights site

My new Marfa Lights site seeks to show the Marfa Lights are not a mysterious phenomenon at all. http://godshome.us/marfa

Please check it out. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?