Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Martian Cats

1. Mar 22, 2004 #1
    I saw an amazing photograph on the cover of the Weekly World News this morning: Martian cats, as discovered by NASA.

I think they may be real. One of them is licking its foot in a very natural-looking way. They are beautifully marked with a large dark spot on their backs/sides, but their faces look a bit different from our earthly cats' faces.

It may be that these are just artists' conceptions of how the cats might look. Perhaps they only found bones.

In any case, I am 100% for the space program now that these beautiful creatures have been discovered.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2004 #2

jimmy p

Gold Member

pictures?

4. Mar 23, 2004 #3

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

um...you're kidding, right? (not about the WWN...that's certainly their style...but about believing it)

5. Mar 23, 2004 #4

jimmy p

Gold Member

hey!!! you're 6000km above Mars, you have a better view than us. Are there any cats?

*had to edit my spelling of "you're" because i read Phobos' pet peeves*

Last edited: Mar 23, 2004
  6. Mar 23, 2004 #5
    I thought about getting a job at Weekly World News but my Photoshopping skills are still a bit lacking :( Those guys are pretty good at making a convincing photo (it's their job after all). Every once in a while I will buy a WWN if I see one that happens to be outrageously hilarious, like the one with the cover story about the four Horsemen of the Apocalypse spotted in Arizona. That one was priceless!

They are really good at producing photos that don't look like things we're used to seeing, and the whole shock value tends to convince us that they are genuine. People are so used to the dull predictable reality. They want new, they want fresh! This is the culture that globalization has raised. In the last hundred years peoples idea of the world has expanded to include much more than just what they have seen or heard in person. Not that it's entirely a bad thing, but I think it tends to desensetize and demotivate.

7. Mar 23, 2004 #6
    Im sure their photo editing skills are far more advanced than some of our GIMPing skills (reference to the numerous gag photos on member photo thread).

8. Apr 12, 2004 #7
    i like homer!

9. Apr 12, 2004 #8

jimmy p

Gold Member

....great....

10. Apr 12, 2004 #9
    Well, I still think they are real, but I really do think they just found bones, not actual kitties. But I'm worried sick they will reconstitute their DNA here on earth and then I'll have even more strays to feed, and who knows what they like to eat?

11. Apr 14, 2004 #10
    Sorry about that stupid reply. My idiot brother got a hold of my password. The previous statement was in no way related to my current intelligence.

12. Apr 14, 2004 #11

jimmy p

Gold Member

that's ok, i like pickles.

13. Apr 15, 2004 #12
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2004
  14. Apr 15, 2004 #13

jimmy p

Gold Member

they look pretty mean and scary... are those the ones you are referring to Holly? if so, they can stay on Mars...

15. Apr 15, 2004 #14
    Mean and scary???!!! They are PRECIOUS! Such an intelligent look about them, and such pretty eyes, too. I hope they stay on Mars too, though...don't want mean humans getting hold of them...don't you have some little kitties? How are they? Hope they are doing well.

16. Apr 16, 2004 #15

jimmy p

Gold Member

:) yeah my little kitties rock, but the dont look scary like that!! I suppose you could say that the martian cats look intelligent. but its a cruel intelligence, like they are thinking how they are gonna maim you next... looking at them again, and they freak me out!

17. Apr 16, 2004 #16

Tsu

Gold Member

18. Apr 16, 2004 #17
    Those are precious! Adorable! But I think they have a little Martian in them; see the set of the eyes?

19. Apr 16, 2004 #18

Tsu

Gold Member

Shhhhh!!!!! Don't let jimmy hear you say that!!! :eek:

20. Apr 16, 2004 #19

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Definitely some Martian in those kitties! :tongue:

21. Apr 17, 2004 #20

Tsu

Gold Member

Don't you worry, Chopnik. I don't think they look Martian at all. I also think the Martian kitties are rather scary looking. :eek: Your kitties have sweet looks on their little faces. :wink:

edit: and TRUST me. I KNOW about scary faces. Just LOOK at me!

<------

I scare MYSELF when I look in the mirror!! :biggrin:

Last edited: Apr 17, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?