NASA Discovers Martian Cats: Are They Real?

• Thread starter holly
  • Start date
In summary, the photo on the cover of the Weekly World News this morning is of Martian cats that were discovered by NASA. According to the author, the cats may be real, but may just be bones that have been repainted. The author is in favor of the space program now that these beautiful creatures have been discovered.
holly
I saw an amazing photograph on the cover of the Weekly World News this morning: Martian cats, as discovered by NASA.

I think they may be real. One of them is licking its foot in a very natural-looking way. They are beautifully marked with a large dark spot on their backs/sides, but their faces look a bit different from our earthly cats' faces.

It may be that these are just artists' conceptions of how the cats might look. Perhaps they only found bones.

In any case, I am 100% for the space program now that these beautiful creatures have been discovered.

Physics news on Phys.org
pictures?

um...you're kidding, right? (not about the WWN...that's certainly their style...but about believing it)

hey! you're 6000km above Mars, you have a better view than us. Are there any cats?

*had to edit my spelling of "you're" because i read Phobos' pet peeves*

Last edited:
I thought about getting a job at Weekly World News but my Photoshopping skills are still a bit lacking :( Those guys are pretty good at making a convincing photo (it's their job after all). Every once in a while I will buy a WWN if I see one that happens to be outrageously hilarious, like the one with the cover story about the four Horsemen of the Apocalypse spotted in Arizona. That one was priceless!

They are really good at producing photos that don't look like things we're used to seeing, and the whole shock value tends to convince us that they are genuine. People are so used to the dull predictable reality. They want new, they want fresh! This is the culture that globalization has raised. In the last hundred years peoples idea of the world has expanded to include much more than just what they have seen or heard in person. Not that it's entirely a bad thing, but I think it tends to desensetize and demotivate.

Im sure their photo editing skills are far more advanced than some of our GIMPing skills (reference to the numerous gag photos on member photo thread).

i like homer!

...great...

Well, I still think they are real, but I really do think they just found bones, not actual kitties. But I'm worried sick they will reconstitute their DNA here on Earth and then I'll have even more strays to feed, and who knows what they like to eat?

Sorry about that stupid reply. My idiot brother got a hold of my password. The previous statement was in no way related to my current intelligence.

that's ok, i like pickles.

Last edited by a moderator:
they look pretty mean and scary... are those the ones you are referring to Holly? if so, they can stay on Mars...

Mean and scary?! They are PRECIOUS! Such an intelligent look about them, and such pretty eyes, too. I hope they stay on Mars too, though...don't want mean humans getting hold of them...don't you have some little kitties? How are they? Hope they are doing well.

:) yeah my little kitties rock, but the don't look scary like that! I suppose you could say that the martian cats look intelligent. but its a cruel intelligence, like they are thinking how they are going to maim you next... looking at them again, and they freak me out!

Now THIS is precious! :wink:

http://imageuploader.milbrathnet.net/uploads/Chopnik%20kittens.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are precious! Adorable! But I think they have a little Martian in them; see the set of the eyes?

Shhhhh! Don't let jimmy hear you say that! :eek:

Definitely some Martian in those kitties! :tongue:

Don't you worry, Chopnik. I don't think they look Martian at all. I also think the Martian kitties are rather scary looking. :eek: Your kitties have sweet looks on their little faces. :wink:

edit: and TRUST me. I KNOW about scary faces. Just LOOK at me!

<------

I scare MYSELF when I look in the mirror! :biggrin:

Last edited:
They look like rats to me. Are those really cats? :confused:

:biggrin:

:eek: :eek: :eek: Something tells me it's going to get very ugly around here once the "rat" remark is detected as regards the precious 1/2-Martian kitties...

Maybe I'll unsubscribe now so as to avoid the flame war... :tongue:

Ivan Seeking said:
They look like rats to me. Are those really cats?
Yes, rats on anabolic steroids. Provide these little buggers with black capes and Bela Lagosi would adopt them as house pets. I think we need to do something with the dorsal fins; a consequence of prolonged steroid use. I wonder if a dorsalfinadectomy is in order here.

HEY HEY HEY! I WONT have you insulting my precious 100% Terran baby FELINES. they are cute and you are all (y'all) just envious that you arent small and fluffy and adorable like them. Your jealousy is SO transparent :)

1. Are there really cats on Mars?

According to recent NASA research, there are no known living organisms on Mars, including cats. The discovery of "Martian cats" was actually a result of a misinterpretation of data collected by the Curiosity Rover, which detected methane gas on the planet's surface.

2. Is there any evidence to support the existence of Martian cats?

No, there is currently no evidence to support the existence of cats on Mars. The methane gas detected by the Curiosity Rover can have multiple sources, such as geological activity or microbial life, and does not necessarily indicate the presence of cats. Additionally, there have been no sightings or physical evidence of cats on the planet.

3. Could cats survive on Mars?

It is highly unlikely that cats could survive on Mars. The planet has a harsh environment with extreme temperatures, little to no atmosphere, and no readily available food or water sources. Cats, like all animals, require a specific set of conditions to survive, and Mars does not currently have those conditions.

4. How did the misconception of "Martian cats" arise?

The misconception of "Martian cats" arose from a combination of misinterpreted data and media sensationalism. The Curiosity Rover's detection of methane gas was initially thought to be a sign of potential life on Mars, leading some to speculate about the possibility of cats living on the planet. However, further analysis and research have disproven this idea.

5. Could cats be sent to Mars in the future?

It is highly unlikely that cats, or any domesticated animals, will be sent to Mars in the near future. Space travel and colonization is a complex and expensive endeavor, and the focus is currently on sending humans and potentially establishing sustainable habitats. Additionally, it would be difficult to ensure the well-being and survival of cats in the harsh conditions of Mars.