The Martian Movie - Survival Thriller

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Film
In summary, the film is superficial and badly dumbed down. This is especially jarring when you consider what made the book it's based on so much fun.
Question about the explosion. On Sol 21 the read-outs showed O2 level at 20.74%

Before the explosion on Sol 37 the readouts showed 20.81% O2

After the explosion the readouts showed 17.71% O2, or 3.1% reduction.

So, from a non-sciency guy, was the explosion enough to burn that much O2, and would the O2 before the explosion be enough to Hindenburg the HAB?

Just wondering. Secondary explosions expected.

Physics news on Phys.org
Noisy Rhysling said:
So, from a non-sciency guy, was the explosion enough to burn that much O2, and would the O2 before the explosion be enough to Hindenburg the HAB?

Not sure. Any idea of the volume of the HAB?

Drakkith said:
Not sure. Any idea of the volume of the HAB?
Mark said he had created 127 sq. m. of soil, in circular patch.. No other hard numbers. Allow 2 m. for the torus around the soil and 3 m. for overhead?

Well, if we go with 350 m3, that's somewhere in the ballpark. That's 350,000 liters of air. At STP, 20.81% of 350,000 liters of air is about 3250 moles of O2. A decrease in the oxygen level of 3.1% is about 480 moles. The reaction of 2H2+O2 => 2H2O releases about 570 joules of energy. That times 3,250 is 1.85 MJ, which is comparable to a pound of high-explosives.

Those numbers depend on the temperature and pressure being near STP and on my math and chemistry being correct, so they could be wrong.

Likes EnumaElish
I'm utterly sure of my math skills. They have a 100% track record. All failures.

Likes Hoophy
Noisy Rhysling said:
I'm utterly sure of my math skills. They have a 100% track record. All failures.

By your own admission, that number may be inaccurate. :wink:

Noisy Rhysling said:
Sounds exactly like my method for cabinetry. Measure twice then screw it up anyway.

Likes CalcNerd, Borg, jim mcnamara and 1 other person
@phinds I fall flat on my face making backs of chairs. Probably why some those pieces are called splats.

Likes phinds
My grandfather (from Europe) had a shop that made what they called church fixtures. As a teenager, I had to make a bow saw, several hand planes, and chisels, then use my tools to hand cut joints. All under the scrutiny 5 men in their 70's who had phenomenal skills. I learned humility first and foremost.

After a while, one of them talked my Mom into the idea of college for me. I always suspected this was a reflection on my shop skill level.

I've been to your site - yes!. Also liked the 'measure twice and screwup anyway' approach.

Question: The Earthbound souls, those poor dears, were aware of Mark being alive after Teddy announced it at that news conference. So, the families were communicating with the Ares, why didn't they mention this to the people they wrote? They'd be aware that the survivors were feeling terrible about having lost him.

Would self-censorship be requested?

Oh, and if you don't want to run out of ketchup, don't use it to make tomato soup.

Likes Hoophy
Noisy Rhysling said:
Question: The Earthbound souls, those poor dears, were aware of Mark being alive after Teddy announced it at that news conference. So, the families were communicating with the Ares, why didn't they mention this to the people they wrote? They'd be aware that the survivors were feeling terrible about having lost him.

Would self-censorship be requested?

Oh, and if you don't want to run out of ketchup, don't use it to make tomato soup.
On reading this I was completely flummoxed and could not figure out what you were talking about and then I realized that we have comletely hijacked your recent comments in this thread and started making it a woodworking thread and you are appropriately taking it back to where it is supposed to be. Sorry. o:)

No prob. I'm watching the movie for the nth time and nitpicking.

I do woodwork too, I'll have to put up some pix.

Noisy Rhysling said:
Also liked the 'measure twice and screwup anyway' approach.
I always say that as a joke but sadly for me it's not, actually. Every project becomes a challenge in hiding my mistakes.

Movie has officially passed into popular culture:

My cousin was doing the families annual tornado stand-down, reviewing the does and don'ts.

Dad: Do we take shelter under a highway overpass?

Daughter: Yes!

Dad: But wouldn't you get sucked out and toss about by the tornado?

Daughter: Yes, but consider this, I'd get to fly around like Ironman!

Question about the skyline at the beginning of the movie, before anybody says anything. It almost looks like Olympus Mons in the background? Did they try for that or is that just a natural formation at the location of the shoot?

I was pleasantly surprised by the flying-under-a-canvas idea, possible because practically there's no atmosphere on Mars. The idea became mundane within 30 seconds; although my split-second reaction was "oh, what a great idea, who would've thought it?"

EnumaElish said:
I was pleasantly surprised by the flying-under-a-canvas idea, possible because practically there's no atmosphere on Mars. The idea became mundane within 30 seconds; although my split-second reaction was "oh, what a great idea, who would've thought it?"
That's the benefit of forums like this in conjunction with a blog. Andy could field test ideas with the readers and get input from some very serious people in just about any relevant field. Including music critics. ;)

At 27 minutes, just after the hydrogen explosion, Mark is in a gold-foil cape and helmet. This reminds me of a half-forgotten scifi movie where the aliens were garbed similarly. Anybody have a clue what the name was for that one? It was in the same league as the gorilla-suit-with-diving-helmet monster, that's about all I can remember about it.

Why did they have an RTG on the surface of the planet?

Noisy Rhysling said:
Why did they have an RTG on the surface of the planet?

It powered a rover. I don't know which rover it was in the book/film, but the Curiosity rover currently on Mars is powered by an RTG. From here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curiosity_(rover)#Specifications

Curiosity is powered by a Multi-Mission Radioisotope Thermoelectric Generator (MMRTG), designed and built by Rocketdyne and Teledyne Energy Systems under contract to the U.S. Department of Energy,[24][25] and assembled and tested by the Idaho National Laboratory.[26] Based on legacy RTG technology, it represents a more flexible and compact development step,[27] and is designed to produce 125 watts of electrical power from about 2,000 watts of thermal power at the start of the mission.[21][22] The MMRTG produces less power over time as its plutonium fuel decays: at its minimum lifetime of 14 years, electrical power output is down to 100 watts.[28][29] The power source will generate 9 MJ (2.5 kWh) each day, much more than the solar panels of the Mars Exploration Rovers, which can generate about 2.1 MJ (0.58 kWh) each day. The electrical output from the MMRTG charges two rechargeable lithium-ion batteries. This enables the power subsystem to meet peak power demands of rover activities when the demand temporarily exceeds the generator’s steady output level. Each battery has a capacity of about 42 ampere-hours.

No, they buried this one when they landed. "And then planted that flag so we'd never accidentally go near it again."

And Pathfinder was the lander in the movie, ran on solar panels.

Well, I can't tell you then. I haven't read the book, I've only seen the movie.

What I found totally unrealistic is that the astronauts would be given raw potatoes for their mission, as opposed to instant mashed potato mix.

My memory of both the book and the film is already pretty shaky, but I'm pretty sure it was the RTG was for powering the base. I don't remember whether it was an alternative, emergency source to the panels, or if it was just what was used first by the automated part of the mission, and then discontinued with arrival of human crew - I'd have to find the passage the book. Similarly, I don't remember whether its purpose was at all explained in the film, but I strongly suspect they did cram in a one-line exposition like they did with everything else.

stevendaryl said:
What I found totally unrealistic is that the astronauts would be given raw potatoes for their mission, as opposed to instant mashed potato mix.
These were for botany experiments, and not intended as a food source.

Andy planned the trip so that it would include Thanksgiving on Mars so he could have NASA include whole potatoes for Thanksgiving dinner.

Bandersnatch said:
These were for botany experiments, and not intended as a food source.

Ah. I missed that.

stevendaryl said:
Ah. I missed that.
No, they weren't.

I'm just double checking, and it does seem that they were intended for Thanksgiving meal and not for experiments.
Shouldn't they have sent a turkey as well?

Bandersnatch said:
I'm just double checking, and it does seem that they were intended for Thanksgiving meal and not for experiments.
Shouldn't they have sent a turkey as well?
We didn't see everything he had there. Two turkey breasts would have been enough and more for six people. No mention of pumpkin pie. I wonder if he ate all the deserts first? He didn't list them but did list meatloaf and sweet and sour chicken twice.

Book before film.
Is it entirely hard, or still have a bunch of speculative, unlikely part?

GTOM said:
Book before film.
Is it entirely hard, or still have a bunch of speculative, unlikely part?
Andy admitted to some handwaving, but NASA liked it "99%". The mistakes were mainly due to lack of information or to help the plot along. (Martian sand storm equates to gentle breeze on Earth, that sort of thing.)

Probably the best talk I've seen him do:

Noisy Rhysling said:
Andy admitted to some handwaving, but NASA liked it "99%". The mistakes were mainly due to lack of information or to help the plot along. (Martian sand storm equates to gentle breeze on Earth, that sort of thing.)

Sounds a bit strange to me, how gentle breezes could cover all the planet in dust, so telescopes can't see the surface.
Ok, so the dust storm part is soft, but otherwise, really hard, fine to me. :)