Mass of Photon: What's the Proper Explanation?

This is because photons travel at the speed of light, so ##E = pc##. Therefore, in summary, photons are considered "massless" particles because their energy and momentum are equal, but they do have some amount of mass due to their energy. This is explained by the equation ##m^2=(E/c^2)^2-(p/c)^2##.
swampwiz
I read an internet meme:

Photons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic.

I was going to respond that photons are "massless" particles, but then I realized that photons have energy, and thus must have mass.

What's the proper explanation here?

Science news on Phys.org
swampwiz said:
I read an internet meme:
I was going to respond that photons are "massless" particles, but then I realized that photons have energy, and thus must have mass.

Some INSIGHTS reading for you...

https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/?s=mass

:smile:

swampwiz said:
then I realized that photons have energy, and thus must have mass.

The mass ##m## is not equivalent to the energy ##E##. In other words, ##m \neq E/c^2##. Instead, ##m^2=(E/c^2)^2-(p/c)^2##

A system consisting of a single photon has zero mass because its energy ##E## is equal to its momentum ##pc##.

1. What is the mass of a photon?

The mass of a photon is zero. This is because photons are particles of light, which are considered to be massless.

2. Why is the mass of a photon considered to be zero?

The mass of a photon is considered to be zero because it travels at the speed of light and has no rest mass. This is in accordance with Albert Einstein's theory of relativity, which states that objects with mass cannot reach the speed of light.

3. Can the mass of a photon change?

No, the mass of a photon cannot change. As a massless particle, it will always have a mass of zero regardless of its energy or frequency.

4. How is the energy of a photon related to its mass?

The energy of a photon is directly proportional to its frequency and inversely proportional to its wavelength. Since mass and energy are equivalent according to Einstein's famous equation E=mc^2, the mass of a photon can also be calculated using its energy and frequency.

5. How does the mass of a photon affect its behavior?

As a massless particle, the mass of a photon does not affect its behavior. It will always travel at the speed of light and exhibit wave-particle duality, regardless of its energy or frequency.