Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The mass of strings

1. Sep 5, 2012 #1
    If e=mc2 and strings are a form of energy will they not have a measurable mass?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2012 #2

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

In the most simple models strings are subject to quantization of vibration modes. Each mode has a frequency and therefore an energy just like the usual modes of the one-dim. quantum harmonic oscillator. Therefore each mode corresponds to a certain vibration energy E which then corresponds to a certain rest mass m defined by E = mc².

Solving this problem for strings is rather difficult (even for non-interacting, bosonic strings w/o compactified extra dimensions), but the result is indeed an energy spectrum and therefore a mass spectrum. Only the lowest modes correspond to massles particles, the higher vibration modes correspond to massive particles; the mass scale is determined by one free parameter of the theory.

4. Sep 6, 2012 #3
    I am extremely amateur in the realm of physics and have only recently taken up reading about it because it has captivated my imagination. I would like to read more about quantum harmonic oscillator. Can you recommend something to get started?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook