1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The mass of the Sun

1. Jan 22, 2013 #1
    1/ when serching for mesurement Earth-Sun distance, I got this
    in the sechon answer, to use this method, we need mass of the Sun but when I searched for Sun' mass http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_mass

2/
    7403b4d7237f7a67f2f51b6d0405c636.png

r=GMT^2/(4(πr)^2)

3. The attempt at a solution
    there are the other ways to caculate Sun mass without using AU

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2013 #2
    What is your question exactly?

4. Jan 22, 2013 #3
    The other ways used to caculate the mass of the sun do not use AU.
    My homework is how to determine to distance to Sun from Earth, using gavitionval law is one of those ways to measure it. However, using gravitional law requires Sun's Mass and I don't know how to caculate the mass of the Sun without using AU.

5. Jan 22, 2013 #4
    What is the course you are studying? What have you studied so far?

6. Jan 22, 2013 #5
    Now I'm first year in university so we learn physics as compulsory subject though the main subject is engineering. It was only two month but in hight school, I learned Newton's gravitional law but with some contant like mass of the sun and astronomical unit we weren't taught how to determine/caculate it although we knew its value.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  7. Jan 22, 2013 #6
    What had you you been studying when you get the homework assigned to you?

8. Jan 22, 2013 #7
  9. Jan 22, 2013 #8
    That is a lot of material. I am not really sure what you are supposed to use as a given.

On the very first pages you are given the ratio of solar to lunar distance from the Earth. You could use that one. Then you will need to find the lunar distance. It could be derived from the gravity exerted on the Moon by the Earth.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook