1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The math of a 'moment of inertia' in application

1. Apr 13, 2005 #1
    I am trying to detemine the moment of interia of an object, not too accurately.

I have the object mounted in bearings, and on the shaft of the object I have a ring (radius of 2.5in) which I have a filament wrapped around which drops to a weight of 5lbs (mass of .1554 slug). I can release the weight and time the travel over a known distance (approx 24in in 5sec, an acceleration 'a' of 9.6in/sec^2). Angular acceration is 'a'/'r' or 3.84rad/sec^2. I have determined the tension in the filament to be 4.88lbf by F=ma, m=.1554slug * (subtracting 'a'(conv. to ft/sec^2) from g(ft/sec^2)). The torque would then be 4.88lbf * 2.5in or 12.2in.lbf.

My problem has come down to the math. I have seen moment of inertia defined in both lb.in^2 and in.lb.sec^2. I cannot seem to figure out how torque (in.lbf) / angular acceleration (rad/sec^2) can be conveyed to MOI of either version, the units don't seem to cancel out right.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, until then I will have fun putting a sharp stick in my eye.

John

Last edited: Apr 13, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2005 #2

jamesrc

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Moment of inertia has units [M]*[L]2 (mass times length squared)
    When you see inch*pound*second^2, the "pound" is pound-force.
    When you see pound*inch^2. the "pound" is pound-mass.
    Also note that radians are unitless dimensions.
    I hope that helps.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook