The Matrix

  • Thread starter chound
  • Start date
  • #1
chound
164
0
I've never understood most of the English movies. Matrix lies in the top ten(The Sixth Sense leads it) of my ununderstandable movies. Can anyone explain to me the theme and story and idea of the Matrix movies?
 

Answers and Replies

  • #2
cronxeh
Gold Member
1,004
10
Do you want to know what it is, chound? It's that feeling you have had all your life. That feeling that something was wrong with the world. You don't know what it is but it's there, like a splinter in your mind, driving you mad, driving you to me. But what is it? The Matrix is everywhere, it's all around us, here even in this room. You can see it out your window, or on your television. You feel it when you go to work, or go to church or pay your taxes. It is the world that has been pulled over your eyes to blind you from the truth.

You take the blue pill and the story ends. You wake in your bed and you believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill and you stay in PhysicsForums and I show you how deep the worm-hole goes.
 
  • #3
chound
164
0
cronxeh said:
Do you want to know what it is, chound? It's that feeling you have had all your life. That feeling that something was wrong with the world. You don't know what it is but it's there, like a splinter in your mind, driving you mad, driving you to me. But what is it? The Matrix is everywhere, it's all around us, here even in this room. You can see it out your window, or on your television. You feel it when you go to work, or go to church or pay your taxes. It is the world that has been pulled over your eyes to blind you from the truth.

You take the blue pill and the story ends. You wake in your bed and you believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill and you stay in PhysicsForums and I show you how deep the worm-hole goes.

You are confusing me. Is my computer a matrix? Are you all Matrices? Does matrix mean a dream?
 
  • #4
imabug
345
3
perhaps some of the readings here will help your understanding.
 
  • #5
matthyaouw
Gold Member
1,185
5
Don't worry, I don't think it made a huge amount of sense to anyone. Just watch the pretty special effects & wait til it's over.
 
  • #6
Clausius2
Science Advisor
Gold Member
1,440
7
chound said:
I've never understood most of the English movies. Matrix lies in the top ten(The Sixth Sense leads it) of my ununderstandable movies. Can anyone explain to me the theme and story and idea of the Matrix movies?

Matrix=the things are not like they look like. You're living inside a computer program, governed by machines, which are also governed by an architect.

The film is pretty interesting. But nobody knows the final secret. The Oracle said it to me some time ago. But do not reveal it. I will tell you for first time:

The architect is...Greg Bernhardt :eek: :eek: !
 
Last edited:
  • #7
Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
7,176
22
Man make AI. Then man treat AI like sh**. AI pi$$ed off. Fight man. Man losing, AI winning. Man get bright...no, dark idea. AI need sunlight for energy so switch off sunlight. Man make sky black. AI more mad. AI kick butt anyway. Then AI use chemical reaction in man for energy. Make giant field where man be raised and energy from man harvested. But man die if have to live like cattle. And AI die if man die. So AI make man think everything hunky dory. AI make Matrix. Matrix like WalMart. Man in Matrix go numb with possibility. Now man be happy (or sad) and make lot of energy for AI. So AI happy.

Meanwhile some man escape during man-AI war and hide in bottom of dirty hole. This man know way to go in and out of WalMart...umm, Matrix. This man know that no rules in WalMart. Must not think flat-panel TV cost $2.99, must know ! One day in WalMart man find One-man buying flat-panel TV for $0.99. Man think : "This man the One." Rest of story about fuzzy economic - with jiujitsu - and omniprescent security guard-turned-shoplifter. In end, One-Man find only way out of problem : make deal with AI. "You close down WalMart; man give big money for flat-panel TV". AI happy. Man happy. One-Man become great martyr, like other famous great martyr. The End.
 
  • #8
Polly
94
0
Thank you Gokul, this post is a life saver.
 
  • #9
Kakarot
60
0
why didnt morpheus just say: "neo you are living in a computer generated world controlled by machines. humans power these machines in another *real* world and we must stop them" but instead he has to use all that metaphorical bull lol. its not that hard to understand
 
  • #10
matthyaouw
Gold Member
1,185
5
First film: Spent stressing and stressing how small the link between the matrix and the real world is, and how what is possible in the matrix is barely related to what is possible in the real world.
Second film: Sets up some interesting ideas, leaves a lot of unanswered questions and potential for specualation. Possibility of great film to follow, if written well.
Third film: Spends 3 hours Pissing all over the previous two.
 
  • #11
chound
164
0
So Neo is being controlled by "others". He needs to destroy those "others". What is that villain Smith(I think that's his name)doing there?
 
Last edited:
  • #12
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
8,014
1,243
chound said:
Can anyone explain to me the theme and story and idea of the Matrix movies?

It's Hollywood's version of Descarte.
 
  • #13
Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
7,176
22
chound said:
So Neo is being controlled by "others". He needs to destroy those "others". What is that villain Smith(I think that's his name)doing there?
Smith is an agent.

An agent is a security program in the Matrix that keeps out intruders and is generally responsible for patrolling the Matrix - kind of like an antivirus program. Agents are capable of implanting their code onto any carrier program, such as those for humans. If you've only seen the first part, then Smith is an Agent till the end of the movie, when Neo "destroys" him. Near the end of the movie we learn that Smith has developed a bug, and is slowly getting corrupted.
 
  • #14
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
11,828
53
The Matrix didn't make sense to me until I watched all three of them back to back.
 
  • #15
Chrono
422
2
You can use this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=36281&item=7131708091&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW [Broken]
 
Last edited by a moderator:
  • #16
Evo
Mentor
23,925
3,264
Gokul43201 said:
Man make AI. Then man treat AI like sh**. AI pi$$ed off. Fight man. Man losing, AI winning. Man get bright...no, dark idea. AI need sunlight for energy so switch off sunlight. Man make sky black. AI more mad. AI kick butt anyway. Then AI use chemical reaction in man for energy. Make giant field where man be raised and energy from man harvested. But man die if have to live like cattle. And AI die if man die. So AI make man think everything hunky dory. AI make Matrix. Matrix like WalMart. Man in Matrix go numb with possibility. Now man be happy (or sad) and make lot of energy for AI. So AI happy.

Meanwhile some man escape during man-AI war and hide in bottom of dirty hole. This man know way to go in and out of WalMart...umm, Matrix. This man know that no rules in WalMart. Must not think flat-panel TV cost $2.99, must know ! One day in WalMart man find One-man buying flat-panel TV for $0.99. Man think : "This man the One." Rest of story about fuzzy economic - with jiujitsu - and omniprescent security guard-turned-shoplifter. In end, One-Man find only way out of problem : make deal with AI. "You close down WalMart; man give big money for flat-panel TV". AI happy. Man happy. One-Man become great martyr, like other famous great martyr. The End.
:rofl: Gokul, you're killing me! :rofl: But that is the story.

Chound, if you watch the Matrix (if it is in the uncut American version) the entire explanation is given, basically as Gokul explained, well except the part about Walmart and the flat-panel tv, that part I didn't know. :biggrin:
 
  • #17
franznietzsche
1,451
6
Evo said:
:rofl: Gokul, you're killing me! :rofl: But that is the story.

Chound, if you watch the Matrix (if it is in the uncut American version) the entire explanation is given, basically as Gokul explained, well except the part about Walmart and the flat-panel tv, that part I didn't know. :biggrin:


Personally, stick me in the matrix over walmart any day. Any day.
 
  • #18
Smurf
396
3
Your a gold mine Gokul
 
  • #19
chound
164
0
Gokul's explanation is the best!
 
  • #20
cepheid
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
5,196
38
Seriously, what was so hard to understand about the first movie? Everything was explained, in the scene in which Morpheus and Neo go to that place that's just a white backdrop (the loading area), and he holds out a duracell copper-top battery and says: "this is what you were," or something. Then he gives Neo the whole history of how the machines became sentient and took over. It's all explained. Watch it again.


The end of the second movie. Now THAT was cryptic.
 
  • #21
Integral
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
7,253
63
I haven't seen the last of the set. The first was tolerable, the second was pretty bad, what story there was got swamped in the endless boing fight sceens. Maybe I'll see the last one some day, maybe not.
 
  • #22
Chrono
422
2
Integral said:
I haven't seen the last of the set. The first was tolerable, the second was pretty bad, what story there was got swamped in the endless boing fight sceens. Maybe I'll see the last one some day, maybe not.

The fight scenes are what kept me watching it. Of course, by the end, you can tell that it was different than the first movie.
 
  • #23
Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
7,176
22
cepheid said:
The end of the second movie. Now THAT was cryptic.
Totally !

Nor did I get an explanation for it in Revolutions.

Anyone watched the Matrix, ping pong http://www.ebaumsworld.com/matrixpong.html ?
 
  • #24
Kakarot
60
0
being computers and all, they certainly act stupid and illogically
 

Suggested for: The Matrix

  • Last Post
Replies
25
Views
4K
  • Last Post
Replies
4
Views
1K
  • Last Post
Replies
17
Views
2K
Replies
2
Views
613
Replies
3
Views
745
  • Last Post
Replies
26
Views
1K
  • Last Post
Replies
10
Views
372
  • Last Post
Replies
9
Views
1K
Replies
2
Views
569
  • Last Post
2
Replies
40
Views
2K
Top