Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Mayonnaise Jar Lesson

1. Apr 11, 2012 #1
    This has been passed around facebook a bit, but I really like it so I'm going to post it here for anyone who hasn't seen it.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2012 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

This is an apocryphal version, from what I know it was beer, not coffee.

4. Apr 11, 2012 #3
    In Ireland it's whiskey :D

5. Apr 11, 2012 #4
    Nice lesson, but worship and god being golf balls? Even if you're religious, that shouldn't be your highest priority.

6. Apr 11, 2012 #5
    I often hear religious people put God right before family. I take it he's just giving examples of high priority options rather than an order. Even though there clearly is an order :D

7. Apr 11, 2012 #6

Borek

Staff: Mentor

It is also worth of noting you can start with a beer and other things will still fit in the jar. Sure, the beer will leak, but that's what it does anyway.

8. Apr 11, 2012 #7

Dembadon

Gold Member

Thank you for sharing, Greg. :smile:

I generally don't like allegory outside of literary prose or poetry, but your post is highly relevant to my current situation.

I'm taking difficult, time consuming courses this semester and it has been hard to find time for family and friends About 2 weeks ago I decided if I didn't get an A on every assignment, everything would still be okay. This simple realization, although extremely difficult for me to come to terms with, has improved my relationship with my wife and is helping me learn how to have a healthy balance in life.

So, last Sunday, I painted my sister-in-law's baby room instead of sitting in front of a computer all day working on a program. I will not get an A on my assignment (probably a B), but seeing the look on their faces after the paint was dry made it completely worthwhile.

9. Apr 11, 2012 #8
    Minus the whole god and worship crap, I like the sentiment.

10. Apr 11, 2012 #9

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is Greg's subtle hint that we should get off of PF and go do something useful...

11. Apr 11, 2012 #10
    what!? no! no! must delete this thread now! PF is a golf ball! :D

12. Apr 11, 2012 #11

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You can go back and edit the original post to say "God, family, Physics Forums..."

13. Apr 11, 2012 #12

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The only thing I would do differently, is wait to pour in the coffee.

Instead, I'd dump the contents of the jar (without the coffee) into a sieve over a sand bucket just to separate everything back out and then put the sand, the pebbles, and the golf balls back in the opposite order and see if they all fit (which they won't, even though it's still the same amount of stuff that came out of the jar).

But the coffee adds a nice touch, as well.

14. Apr 11, 2012 #13
    I'm sure there is an obscene joke on Tiger Woods here somewhere.

15. Apr 11, 2012 #14
    I've read it all for you. There isn't. You should read it anyway.

16. Apr 11, 2012 #15

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks for that :wink:.

17. Apr 11, 2012 #16

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

My house is full of sand.

metaphorically as well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook