Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Mean Value Theorem

1. Nov 15, 2006 #1
    This theorem is confusing me even though it is sittin right in front of me.. I am given an equation x^4 + 4x + c = 0 and asked to find at most two real roots??

I know we need to take the derivative, but from there I am lost.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2006 #2
    If [tex] f(x) [/tex] is differentiable in the open interval [tex] (a,b) [/tex] and continuous on the closed interval [tex] [a,b] [/tex], then there is at least one point [tex] c [/tex] in [tex] (a,b) [/tex] such that:

[tex] f'(c) = \frac{f(b)-f(a)}{b-a} [/tex]

Assume that there are two real roots [tex] c_{1} [/tex] and [tex] c_{2} [/tex] where [tex] c_{1} < c_{2} [/tex].

Then [tex] f(c_{1}) = 0 = f(c_{2}) [/tex].

Thus [tex] 4x^{3} + 4 = 0 [/tex]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2006
  4. Nov 15, 2006 #3

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

basic principle of garphing: a graph can only change direction at a critical pont, and not always then.

5. Nov 19, 2006 #4
    x^(4) + 4x + c = 0
    The function is a polynomial and is differentiable and continuous. Suppose a and b are distinct roots. There exists a c in which a<c<b such that 0 = f(b) - f(a). Since f'(x)= 4x^(2) + 4>0, f(a) != f(b). This is a contradiction; hence, a and b cannot both be roots.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?