1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The mean Value Theorem

1. Mar 14, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find all the numbers [itex]c[/itex] that satisfy the conclusion of the Mean Value Theorem for the functions

[itex]f(x)=\dfrac{1}{x-2}[/itex] on the interval [itex][1, 4][/itex]

[itex]f(x)=\dfrac{1}{x-2}[/itex] on the interval [itex][3, 6][/itex]

I don't need help solving for [itex]c[/itex], I just want to know how I can verify that the hypotheses of the mean Value Theorem are satisfied by the function [itex]f(x)[/itex] on the given interval. I know the first one, there is no such number [itex]c[/itex] that is guaranteed by the mean Value Theorem but there is for the second one. How can we verify the first one?

2. Relevant equations

Rolle's Theorem: Let [itex]f[/itex] be a function that satisfies the following three hypotheses:

1. [itex]f[/itex] is continuous on the closed interval [itex][a, b][/itex]
    2. [itex]f[/itex] is differentiable on the open interval [itex](a, b)[/itex]
    3. [itex]f(a)=f(b)[/itex]

Then there exists a number [itex]c[/itex] between [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]b[/itex] such that [itex]f'(c)=0[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

So I would test if it's differentiable for the first function.

[itex]f(1)=\dfrac{1}{1-2}=-1[/itex]

[itex]f(4)=\dfrac{1}{4-2}=1/2[/itex]

So for the first interval of [itex][1, 4][/itex] there is no such [itex]c[/itex] number because the inputs (-1 and 1/2) are not equal.
    How do we know if it's continuous? If it's differentiable does that mean it has to be continuous?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2017 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The mean value theorem is more general than Rolle's theorem, it does not need the f(a)=f(b) condition.
    Yes - but keep in mind that this just helps directly with (a,b), not with [a,b].

4. Mar 14, 2017 #3
    So my interval is a closed interval for [a, b]. If the case doesn't apply, how would you go about verifying if it's continuous?

5. Mar 14, 2017 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

At the time you get those questions, it should be fine to do that just by inspection.

But there is also a statement about the continuity of f(x)=c/g(x) with a constant c that depends on properties of g(x).

6. Mar 14, 2017 #5
    Alright, thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted