1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The meaning of dy/dx

1. Jun 15, 2011 #1
    the meaning of "dy/dx

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am unsure of what dy/dx means when used in derivatives. However, I do know that it is called the derivative operator and have been told its the derivative of y relative to x, but could someone elaborate this for me?

2. Relevant equations
    an example equation might be dy/dx = x2 + 4x + 4

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have been told that its called the derivative operator and that it is the derivative of y relative to x.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2011 #2
    Re: the meaning of "dy/dx

I wasn't too sure if this would be considered a homework question. If someone could let me know so I can start posting in the correct section, that would be helpful. :smile:

4. Jun 15, 2011 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

dy/dx is the derivative of y with respect to x, where y is assumed to be a differentiable function of x.

dy/dx is not an operator - it is a function. d/dx is an operator that is applied to a differentiable function. A function takes a number as its input, and produces a number as its output. In contrast, an operator takes a function as its input, and produces a function as its output.

5. Jun 15, 2011 #4

To get my terminology straight, would a differential function be a derivative? please elaborate. Thank you.

6. Jun 15, 2011 #5

Mark44

Do you mean "differentiable" function? If so, that's a function that can be differentiated; i.e., one that has a derivative. A differential is something different.

7. Jun 15, 2011 #6

Yes, exactly what I meant. Thank you

8. Jun 15, 2011 #7

Mark44

There's something of a disconnect in the terminology that is used in English. To get the derivative of a function, we differentiate it (we don't derive it). If the function has a derivative, it is differentiable (not derivable). Go figure.

9. Jun 15, 2011 #8

That's because the concept of a differentiable function for functions with more than variable is more stringent than the simple existence of the partial derivatives.

10. Jun 16, 2011 #9

Fascinating. Therefore, what would one consider deriving a function?

11. Jun 16, 2011 #10

Mark44

In the context of this thread (differentiation and the derivative), "deriving a function" has no meaning.

In a different context, one can start from observations and derive a general formula, but this is unrelated to differentiation.

12. Jun 16, 2011 #11

Though my question was off-topic, thank you for answering it anyway.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook