Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: The meaning of dy/dx

1. Jun 15, 2011 #1
    the meaning of "dy/dx

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am unsure of what dy/dx means when used in derivatives. However, I do know that it is called the derivative operator and have been told its the derivative of y relative to x, but could someone elaborate this for me?

2. Relevant equations
    an example equation might be dy/dx = x2 + 4x + 4

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have been told that its called the derivative operator and that it is the derivative of y relative to x.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2011 #2
    Re: the meaning of "dy/dx

I wasn't too sure if this would be considered a homework question. If someone could let me know so I can start posting in the correct section, that would be helpful. :smile:

4. Jun 15, 2011 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

dy/dx is the derivative of y with respect to x, where y is assumed to be a differentiable function of x.

dy/dx is not an operator - it is a function. d/dx is an operator that is applied to a differentiable function. A function takes a number as its input, and produces a number as its output. In contrast, an operator takes a function as its input, and produces a function as its output.

5. Jun 15, 2011 #4

To get my terminology straight, would a differential function be a derivative? please elaborate. Thank you.

6. Jun 15, 2011 #5

Mark44

Do you mean "differentiable" function? If so, that's a function that can be differentiated; i.e., one that has a derivative. A differential is something different.

7. Jun 15, 2011 #6

Yes, exactly what I meant. Thank you

8. Jun 15, 2011 #7

Mark44

There's something of a disconnect in the terminology that is used in English. To get the derivative of a function, we differentiate it (we don't derive it). If the function has a derivative, it is differentiable (not derivable). Go figure.

9. Jun 15, 2011 #8

That's because the concept of a differentiable function for functions with more than variable is more stringent than the simple existence of the partial derivatives.

10. Jun 16, 2011 #9

Fascinating. Therefore, what would one consider deriving a function?

11. Jun 16, 2011 #10

Mark44

In the context of this thread (differentiation and the derivative), "deriving a function" has no meaning.

In a different context, one can start from observations and derive a general formula, but this is unrelated to differentiation.

12. Jun 16, 2011 #11

Though my question was off-topic, thank you for answering it anyway.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook