Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Meaning of Truth

1. Apr 21, 2004 #1
    It s weird and really hard for me to say anything about this but i have a question to some of you who are reading this thread of mine that, can you tell me what is the meaning of the truth ?
    Between Black and White, there is a Grey, right ?
    How can we find out what is the "most" truth ?

i have alot of friends, from different countries, they are nice to me. What can I do to help them ?
    There are also some people who dont like me. What should i do to make them like me ? I tried all the way to make them see what is true what isnot, but I dont understand why they still seem to hate me...
    Am I weak ?
    My religion is Buddhism, and is this the cause for which I sound freak and weak sometimes like... crazy.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2004 #2
    QUOTE]It s weird and really hard for me to say anything about this but i have a question to some of you who are reading this thread of mine that, can you tell me what is the meaning of the truth ?[/QUOTE]

the only truth is "there ain't no truth". sorry but all truths are subjective, ergo you will have your own personal truth. not to say, that you and your friends won't agree to certain aspects of your reality and or beliefs which you can share as a truth.

1. love those you wish to help - the rest will happen naturally.
    2. ditto
    3. ditto
    4. love youself

if they can not accept your personal belief and/or religion then they don't really care bout you. it may be a waste of energy at this time to invest yourself in these relationships. love them and be available for their future queery into your lifestyle.

same for those who hate you. how can i make you hate them??? i can't!

you can not convince anyone that you know truth. you can only know your truth. i can not admit to any traditional religion, should i try to convince you to see 'my truth'?? i can't, so i won't try.

love yourself, listen to your inner being and the god within you. the rest will happen quite naturally if you maintain a loving positive focus.

this ain't no dear abby forum, either LOL.

love & peace,
    olde drunk

4. Apr 21, 2004 #3
    Howdy. Everyone of us has a unique set of reality so there is a relative truth to each reality. Most of us are interested in finding/knowing the absolute truth but few of us would appreciate being "told" what it is by a know-it-all. I hope you wouldn't mind my saying so but I have a few (pointed) questions for you.

Why do you want to help your friends? Do they need your help?

Why do you want your other friends to like you? Do you not like yourself?

People may turn down the best of your intentions, but by doing so they are actually offering you a good opportunity to practice understanding and humility. Perfect yourself first, and everything else will fall into its place.

Regards,
    Polly

5. Apr 22, 2004 #4
    1 some truth set by ur self as u learn so it will be differnt to others
    2 its the variety type of personality and belief that made this world vivid so doesnt have to be all the same.
    3 some truth u have to obey the laws who set by society.

be ur self, and treat people who disklike u , nicely, (not too nice.) if some people hate u , no big deal, people are so different and think in a different way. will result the conflict that exist in this society and end up with hate. so try to understand them and think with they brain, if conflict cant be resolved just relaxe be clam and back off keep a distance to them. but dont hate them back.

btw the ppl hate u? u may need to find the reason,
    once u noe the reason hate can be resoved but sometime the reason may against u, maybe becasue of ur religion or ur beliefs then dont bother to cope with them just be ur self, and go to ur world. (where people who able to treat u right)

e.g crinmal hate police , do police try eveything to make crinmal love them? no not neccessary for 98% for crinmal.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2004
  6. Apr 22, 2004 #5
    and religion Buddhism is just a belief u have,
    it could inculde wat is right.

religion is for some people who are confused by them self, not knowing wat is really right, it makes u lose faith religion allow them to have faith and direction in believ of wats right in the bible. religion allows the person to gain power and faith , because him/her belives something so powerful that him/her thinks it must be right/true.

=D i belive in two religion both Buddhism and Christian it helps me find my own path in life. and the ethic that i should know. ..... sounds more carzy?

last thing
    its very hard to make people who hate u like u, it needs time a lot of time and effort. and understanding

sometime its not really neccessary. we r not powerful enough we have our own problems need to concentrateon, for example ypour family and people who love you,

also have people from different culture ,country around u is an excellent opportunity to learn ---> the differnet ways people think

which country u r staying now?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2004
  7. Apr 22, 2004 #6
    Outcome orientation vs process orientation

She said, "Howdy." I said, "Hi."

Psychological research actually consistently finds that interest in absolute truth (vs. interest in process) is relatively limited to field dependents.

8. Apr 22, 2004 #7

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Isn't that kind of circular? In several of the returns of your google, field dependence seems to be defined pretty much as a valuing of absolute truth.

9. Apr 22, 2004 #8
    so say you kill your cat with a rock at 5:00pm today at your house. If you say that, it still isn't the "truth" because there are so many variables that have to be added.

10. Apr 22, 2004 #9
    Thanks everyone alot for your answer....

I and my brother are now living far away from home, and yes, there are also a lot of foreign guys around here. They are all good to me, thats my luck.
    Yesterday, i was not really well, 'cos i had some private problems.
    I think I am fine now,
    again, thank you very much...

11. Apr 22, 2004 #10
    If someone hears your beliefs and if they go against thier own. Then that is where people get into disagreements. Especially with religion because religion is so personal and all types are believeable, it is hard to explain your beliefs to someone if it contradicts or conflicts with thier own beliefs. I tend not to follow any religions for that reason and just keep the ideas and morals from the religions i know. There will always be someone who disagrees with you and you must understand that they have thier opinions and reasons and respect the fact that you think differntly.

12. Apr 22, 2004 #11
    Yes, thanks a lot, :)

13. Apr 25, 2004 #12
    The meaning of truth? Well, the truth is very simple. It is easy to detect. Unfortunately, not all will choose to recognize it, because the truth is not always in line with the desires of the heart. Our minds can be our best friend, or our worst enemy, but the truth remains constant. To accept the truth is to be at peace. Once you are at peace, you don't have to worry about making friends. Others will seek you. The meaning of truth? You will know it when you hear it, because you choose to seek it out...

14. Apr 25, 2004 #13
    No, I think the truth is not always true
    I dont like testing or being tested....

I will try to find out the truth, if it is a happy one, surely I am happy. But if it is not, at least everything is already clearified. I am satisfied since I have tried my best to get what I really want...

The truth is only simple when you think it is simple, you may actually not yet spend your time looking for it, to respect it. If I just sit and watch things going on day by day, I should never give any respect to what I have made so far....I think people who work hard for some dollars day in and day out will understand this most...I love the truth and I respect it. Time can make it unnoticed, but I dont think I can forget it that easily...

I think The truth doesnot remain constant since it has to get itself fitted with generations and the development...
    Now there are things that are considered as truth but many many years years later, who knows ?

And yes, I choose to seek it out, just because I cant stay away from it.
    But now I also realize that it only want to take my *energy*, nothing more...A fact is that I have no much energy, or patience as being thought.

Again Thanks everyone for your inputs...

-Fiona

15. Apr 25, 2004 #14
    hehe truth, u can never find the total turth it always change and new comes.

truth around u is all we need. i dont do law or politics or millitary . i dont Manipulated truth. so thats simple and not much energy need .

16. Apr 25, 2004 #15
    That also means you never find the truth around me/someone. If so, why do you have to go for the truth ?

I go for it because I am in love with it...You go for it because of what ?

17. Apr 25, 2004 #16
    the ONLY truth you can/should love is 'your truth'. no other truths matter.

you have limitless energy to find your truths. energy is only considered wasted when following anothers truth. you will experience more truth by living than if you read all the books ever written.

love&peace,
    olde drunk

18. Apr 25, 2004 #17
    Truth

Hi Drunk,

By asking this age-old question and calling yourself a drunk, are you designating yourself a sophmore?

If I understand your statement, you are caliming that "truth" is entirely subjective; that "truth" is merely a product of one's own frame of reference or perspective, or wish/intention.

Note that in any philosophic discussion the first and most basic rule is to define terms. To do battle with the philosophic community or anyone else, you need to meet them on even ground. When you square off with someone, you will first need to show why his definition of "truth" is incorrect. We can all make statements that everything is entirely subjective, but to do that we have not disproven the opponent's argument. We have agrued that he is as right as we are, meaning that "truth" is merely a point of view and making the whole discussion a waste of time.

Does not the very word "truth" imply some verifiable objective kernel of fact? Are you prepared to prove there cannot be any such "verifiable objective kernel of fact"? If not, we can all proclaim our faiths in equal vanity.

W.A. McCormick

19. Apr 25, 2004 #18

1not all the truth but some of truth that i need . external truth.i will ignore.

2find the truth to survive i guess

come think about it, i never want to find the truth. sometimes i dont even care when i got tricked , it doesnt really matter for me.

so my truth is a lot simpler it comes to me. i dont go serach for it, or define it.

20. Apr 25, 2004 #19
    beyond basic , i only search for joy for my self, and ppl around me.

21. Apr 27, 2004 #20

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Sorry to say it, guys, but if you really believed there existed no such thing as objective truth, you wouldn't be on a philosophy forum. You'd have no grounds from which to argue or learn anything. If it isn't true that mixing ammonium hydroxide with hydrochloric acid will get you salt water, then there would be no point in studying chemistry. You could simply make up an opinion regarding the reactivity of any given substance and that opinion would be just as valid as any other. Fortunately, that isn't the way reality operates. Physical materials behave and react according to a set of laws that are true.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?