Finding Meaning Behind Truth: Tips for Understanding & Acceptance

• Thread starter Vance
  • Start date
In summary: It's important to focus on being true to yourself and not trying to please others. Everyone has their own unique truth and it's not our job to convince others of ours. The best we can do is be kind, understanding, and respectful towards others and their beliefs, even if they differ from our own. In summary, the meaning of truth is subjective and there is no "most" truth. It's important to focus on being true to ourselves and not trying to please others. We should also try to understand and respect others, even if their beliefs differ from our own.
Vance
It s weird and really hard for me to say anything about this but i have a question to some of you who are reading this thread of mine that, can you tell me what is the meaning of the truth ?
Between Black and White, there is a Grey, right ?
How can we find out what is the "most" truth ?

i have a lot of friends, from different countries, they are nice to me. What can I do to help them ?
There are also some people who don't like me. What should i do to make them like me ? I tried all the way to make them see what is true what isnot, but I don't understand why they still seem to hate me...
Am I weak ?
My religion is Buddhism, and is this the cause for which I sound freak and weak sometimes like... crazy.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
QUOTE]It s weird and really hard for me to say anything about this but i have a question to some of you who are reading this thread of mine that, can you tell me what is the meaning of the truth ?[/QUOTE]

the only truth is "there ain't no truth". sorry but all truths are subjective, ergo you will have your own personal truth. not to say, that you and your friends won't agree to certain aspects of your reality and or beliefs which you can share as a truth.

i have a lot of friends, from different countries, they are nice to me. What can I do to help them ? There are also some people who don't like me. What should i do to make them like me ? I tried all the way to make them see what is true what isnot, but I don't understand why they still seem to hate me...
Am I weak ?
My religion is Buddhism, and is this the cause for which I sound freak and weak sometimes like... crazy.
1. love those you wish to help - the rest will happen naturally.
2. ditto
3. ditto
4. love youself

if they can not accept your personal belief and/or religion then they don't really care bout you. it may be a waste of energy at this time to invest yourself in these relationships. love them and be available for their future queery into your lifestyle.

same for those who hate you. how can i make you hate them? i can't!

you can not convince anyone that you know truth. you can only know your truth. i can not admit to any traditional religion, should i try to convince you to see 'my truth'?? i can't, so i won't try.

love yourself, listen to your inner being and the god within you. the rest will happen quite naturally if you maintain a loving positive focus.

this ain't no dear abby forum, either LOL.

love & peace,
olde drunk

Howdy. Everyone of us has a unique set of reality so there is a relative truth to each reality. Most of us are interested in finding/knowing the absolute truth but few of us would appreciate being "told" what it is by a know-it-all. I hope you wouldn't mind my saying so but I have a few (pointed) questions for you.

Why do you want to help your friends? Do they need your help?

Why do you want your other friends to like you? Do you not like yourself?

People may turn down the best of your intentions, but by doing so they are actually offering you a good opportunity to practice understanding and humility. Perfect yourself first, and everything else will fall into its place.

Regards,
Polly

1 some truth set by ur self as u learn so it will be differnt to others
2 its the variety type of personality and belief that made this world vivid so doesn't have to be all the same.
3 some truth u have to obey the laws who set by society.

be ur self, and treat people who disklike u , nicely, (not too nice.) if some people hate u , no big deal, people are so different and think in a different way. will result the conflict that exist in this society and end up with hate. so try to understand them and think with they brain, if conflict can't be resolved just relaxe be clam and back off keep a distance to them. but don't hate them back.

btw the ppl hate u? u may need to find the reason,
once u noe the reason hate can be resoved but sometime the reason may against u, maybe becasue of ur religion or ur beliefs then don't bother to cope with them just be ur self, and go to ur world. (where people who able to treat u right)

e.g crinmal hate police , do police try eveything to make crinmal love them? no not necessary for 98% for crinmal.

Last edited:
and religion Buddhism is just a belief u have,
it could inculde wat is right.

religion is for some people who are confused by them self, not knowing wat is really right, it makes u lose faith religion allow them to have faith and direction in believ of wats right in the bible. religion allows the person to gain power and faith , because him/her belives something so powerful that him/her thinks it must be right/true.

=D i believe in two religion both Buddhism and Christian it helps me find my own path in life. and the ethic that i should know. ... sounds more carzy?

last thing
its very hard to make people who hate u like u, it needs time a lot of time and effort. and understanding

sometime its not really neccessary. we r not powerful enough we have our own problems need to concentrateon, for example ypour family and people who love you,

also have people from different culture ,country around u is an excellent opportunity to learn ---> the differnet ways people think

which country u r staying now?

Last edited:
Outcome orientation vs process orientation

Polly said:
Howdy.
She said, "Howdy." I said, "Hi."

Most of us are interested in finding/knowing the absolute truth
Psychological research actually consistently finds that interest in absolute truth (vs. interest in process) is relatively limited to field dependents.

Isn't that kind of circular? In several of the returns of your google, field dependence seems to be defined pretty much as a valuing of absolute truth.

so say you kill your cat with a rock at 5:00pm today at your house. If you say that, it still isn't the "truth" because there are so many variables that have to be added.

Thanks everyone a lot for your answer...

I and my brother are now living far away from home, and yes, there are also a lot of foreign guys around here. They are all good to me, that's my luck.
Yesterday, i was not really well, 'cos i had some private problems.
I think I am fine now,
again, thank you very much...

If someone hears your beliefs and if they go against their own. Then that is where people get into disagreements. Especially with religion because religion is so personal and all types are believeable, it is hard to explain your beliefs to someone if it contradicts or conflicts with their own beliefs. I tend not to follow any religions for that reason and just keep the ideas and morals from the religions i know. There will always be someone who disagrees with you and you must understand that they have their opinions and reasons and respect the fact that you think differntly.

Yes, thanks a lot, :)

The meaning of truth? Well, the truth is very simple. It is easy to detect. Unfortunately, not all will choose to recognize it, because the truth is not always in line with the desires of the heart. Our minds can be our best friend, or our worst enemy, but the truth remains constant. To accept the truth is to be at peace. Once you are at peace, you don't have to worry about making friends. Others will seek you. The meaning of truth? You will know it when you hear it, because you choose to seek it out...

Angel Loupe said:
The meaning of truth? Well, the truth is very simple. It is easy to detect. Unfortunately, not all will choose to recognize it, because the truth is not always in line with the desires of the heart. Our minds can be our best friend, or our worst enemy, but the truth remains constant. To accept the truth is to be at peace. Once you are at peace, you don't have to worry about making friends. Others will seek you. The meaning of truth? You will know it when you hear it, because you choose to seek it out...

No, I think the truth is not always true
I don't like testing or being tested...

I will try to find out the truth, if it is a happy one, surely I am happy. But if it is not, at least everything is already clearified. I am satisfied since I have tried my best to get what I really want...

The truth is only simple when you think it is simple, you may actually not yet spend your time looking for it, to respect it. If I just sit and watch things going on day by day, I should never give any respect to what I have made so far...I think people who work hard for some dollars day in and day out will understand this most...I love the truth and I respect it. Time can make it unnoticed, but I don't think I can forget it that easily...

I think The truth doesnot remain constant since it has to get itself fitted with generations and the development...
Now there are things that are considered as truth but many many years years later, who knows ?

And yes, I choose to seek it out, just because I can't stay away from it.
But now I also realize that it only want to take my *energy*, nothing more...A fact is that I have no much energy, or patience as being thought.

Again Thanks everyone for your inputs...

-Fiona

hehe truth, u can never find the total turth it always change and new comes.

truth around u is all we need. i don't do law or politics or millitary . i don't Manipulated truth. so that's simple and not much energy need .

expscv said:
hehe truth, u can never find the total turth it always change and new comes.

truth around u is all we need. i don't do law or politics or millitary . i don't Manipulated truth. so that's simple and not much energy need .
That also means you never find the truth around me/someone. If so, why do you have to go for the truth ?

I go for it because I am in love with it...You go for it because of what ?

the ONLY truth you can/should love is 'your truth'. no other truths matter.

you have limitless energy to find your truths. energy is only considered wasted when following anothers truth. you will experience more truth by living than if you read all the books ever written.

love&peace,
olde drunk

Truth

Hi Drunk,

By asking this age-old question and calling yourself a drunk, are you designating yourself a sophmore?

If I understand your statement, you are caliming that "truth" is entirely subjective; that "truth" is merely a product of one's own frame of reference or perspective, or wish/intention.

Note that in any philosophic discussion the first and most basic rule is to define terms. To do battle with the philosophic community or anyone else, you need to meet them on even ground. When you square off with someone, you will first need to show why his definition of "truth" is incorrect. We can all make statements that everything is entirely subjective, but to do that we have not disproven the opponent's argument. We have agrued that he is as right as we are, meaning that "truth" is merely a point of view and making the whole discussion a waste of time.

Does not the very word "truth" imply some verifiable objective kernel of fact? Are you prepared to prove there cannot be any such "verifiable objective kernel of fact"? If not, we can all proclaim our faiths in equal vanity.

W.A. McCormick

Vance said:
That also means you never find the truth around me/someone. If so, why do you have to go for the truth ?

I go for it because I am in love with it...You go for it because of what ?

1not all the truth but some of truth that i need . external truth.i will ignore.

2find the truth to survive i guess

come think about it, i never want to find the truth. sometimes i don't even care when i got tricked , it doesn't really matter for me.

so my truth is a lot simpler it comes to me. i don't go serach for it, or define it.

beyond basic , i only search for joy for my self, and ppl around me.

Sorry to say it, guys, but if you really believed there existed no such thing as objective truth, you wouldn't be on a philosophy forum. You'd have no grounds from which to argue or learn anything. If it isn't true that mixing ammonium hydroxide with hydrochloric acid will get you salt water, then there would be no point in studying chemistry. You could simply make up an opinion regarding the reactivity of any given substance and that opinion would be just as valid as any other. Fortunately, that isn't the way reality operates. Physical materials behave and react according to a set of laws that are true.

hold up. At the risk of sounding pessimistic I have to say this- Who says there is such a thing as 'the truth' or 'subjective truth' or any where in between these? All because we've decided coin the concept of truth - does it really mean that it exists at all in any shape of form or doesn't exist? Could it be like talking about the taste of blue? - that the questions are wrong in themselves? (As for the taste of orange, that's a different matter). Definitions are nice - but what to do when they're questioned?

All because it's inconvenient can we really avoid the definitions being questioned?
And if definitions are being questioned, does it mean there can be no real discussion?
If a person doesn't agree that there is enough proof of the validity of the term truth - does it mean that by withdrawing from any common ground that they are wrong because they're views cannot be questioned?

What's so special about truth anyway? It's just something that's useful to us - possibly the most useful thing we can get hold of. After all - wouldn't most people say that truth is something that doesn't change - call it God or call it a physical formula. I personally think its something that is the least changing thing there is. Practically speaking - you have to make assumptions in your life otherwise if you didn't-you'd sit there not moving until you reached enlightenment cos you wudn't trust the floor to keep u up. Therefore i think people take that which the have most certainty of and call it the truth.

I think practicality has a lot to do with the truth - more than people give credit for.

True!

quddusaliquddus said:
I personally think its something that is the least changing thing there is.

This is the truth. If the truth changed, then it would only be relative truth. There is, however, absolute truth. Be it 2,000 years ago, or today, those truths are still the same.

W.A. McCormick

my dear young man, i use the handle cause i need to remind myself that 35 plus years of drinking didn't solve anything.

Note that in any philosophic discussion the first and most basic rule is to define terms. To do battle with the philosophic community or anyone else, you need to meet them on even ground. When you square off with someone, you will first need to show why his definition of "truth" is incorrect. We can all make statements that everything is entirely subjective, but to do that we have not disproven the opponent's argument. We have agrued that he is as right as we are, meaning that "truth" is merely a point of view and making the whole discussion a waste of time.

we were not debating or defining anything. the man asked a question and i answered it to the best of my ability. in philosophy, all truths ARE relative; it is a matter of what you do, or want to, believe.

Does not the very word "truth" imply some verifiable objective kernel of fact? Are you prepared to prove there cannot be any such "verifiable objective kernel of fact"? If not, we can all proclaim our faiths in equal vanity.

we do "agree' to accept certain rules of reality and they are valid(let go of a ball and it will fall, etc). these, to me, are scientific laws and not philosophical truths. yesterday i believed that sex was a sin, today i do not; which truth was real?? again, they both are valid for their moment. tomorrow i may choose to believe in celibacy, does that negate the prior truths??

i am not trying to complicate Vance's thread, rather to suggest that what may be true for me NOW, will change at any moment, given new data. the difficulty is that too many of us think that this or that 'wiseman' had the answer and read many, many books. they are information to be tested against the reality of experience. if i am told that eating gold fish will make me smarter, do i test this or accept this as a kernel of truth?

no matter what i read, subject to certain credentials and my inability to test, i must experience truth before i can accept it's worth.

love and peace,
olde drunk

Angel Loupe said:
quddusaliquddus said:
I personally think its something that is the least changing thing there is.

This is the truth. If the truth changed, then it would only be relative truth. There is, however, absolute truth. Be it 2,000 years ago, or today, those truths are still the same.
i am sorry, however, i did not observe absolute truth 2000 years ago, or today.

what can it be? IMHO, the only abosolute truth is that there ain't none!

love and peace,
olde drunk

Beautiful!: "No matter what I read, subject to certain credentials and my inability to test, I must experience truth before I can accept it's worth"

Now, as for...
"the only abosolute truth is that there ain't none!"
...you have me mistaken...in a sense.
All because you have not found it yet doesn't mean it doesn't exist (whether its The Truth or Truths). Empathise with others - allow the fact that others may know things you don't in the same way you know things others may not. Going on current data is fine - doesn't mean you have to discount possiblities. It would go against your experience since you yourself know certain things with greater certainty now then you did before.
The ball will fall - yes. But go into space it won't fall the same way. What i mean by that is that 500 years ago people might have said something different to 'does a bal fall towards the Earth if dropped from space?'

quddusaliquddus said:
Beautiful!: "No matter what I read, subject to certain credentials and my inability to test, I must experience truth before I can accept it's worth"

Now, as for...
All because you have not found it yet doesn't mean it doesn't exist (whether its The Truth or Truths). Empathise with others - allow the fact that others may know things you don't in the same way you know things others may not. Going on current data is fine - doesn't mean you have to discount possiblities. It would go against your experience since you yourself know certain things with greater certainty now then you did before.
The ball will fall - yes. But go into space it won't fall the same way. What i mean by that is that 500 years ago people might have said something different to 'does a bal fall towards the Earth if dropped from space?'
:smile:

I mean I like what you said, it is not yes, not no, but it is a maybe...:smile:

quddusaliquddus said:

Now, as for...
I AM CONFUSED. are you syaing that just because i haven't found the ultimate truth, it may still exist or does exist??

for me, any ultimate or absolute truth would be the end of omniverse. there may be a trith that finishes my trip through a particular universe, however, within infinity and eternity there can never be an end.

it is my position that as long as we grow and expand there will never be a final truth. if, for no other reason than we would change the ground rules of the reality to create a new search for truth.

yes! there are ground rules, as it were, that we follow during this trip through this reality. they are not an absolute truth. also, i suspect that we also operate on many levels simultaneously. these other 'realities' have their ground rules also. so, to me, it would seem that rules and truths are constantly changing.

love and peace,
olde drunk

1. What is the importance of understanding and accepting truth?

Understanding and accepting truth allows us to make informed decisions and create a sense of purpose and direction in our lives. It also helps us to build stronger relationships and improve our overall well-being.

2. How can I differentiate between truth and personal beliefs?

Truth is based on objective evidence and facts, while personal beliefs are often influenced by our subjective experiences and biases. It's important to critically evaluate information and seek out multiple perspectives in order to determine the truth.

3. How can I cope with difficult truths?

Coping with difficult truths can be challenging, but it's important to acknowledge and process our emotions, seek support from others, and focus on finding meaning and growth from the experience. It's also helpful to remind ourselves that accepting difficult truths can lead to personal growth and a deeper understanding of ourselves and the world around us.

4. How can I communicate effectively with others about truth?

Effective communication about truth involves actively listening to others, being open-minded, and using respectful and non-confrontational language. It's also important to consider the impact of our words and to approach discussions with empathy and a willingness to listen and learn.

5. How can I use truth to create positive change in the world?

By seeking out and understanding the truth, we can identify areas for improvement and take action to create positive change in our communities and the world. This can involve educating others, standing up for what is right, and using our voices and resources to make a difference.