Is the New Meg Movie Scientifically Accurate?

• Thread starter BillTre
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Movie
In summary, the Science magazine news article discusses the scientific accuracy of the new movie "Meg" starring Jason Statham. The article reveals that the movie may not be very realistic, as seen in a Shark Week show where experts pointed out flaws in the film's special effects. Despite this, the movie is still enjoyable and the experts had fun with it. It's important to remember that these types of movies are for entertainment purposes and not meant to be completely scientifically accurate.
BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Here is a Science magazine news article on the Scientific Reality of the new Meg movie (staring Jason Stathan).
You probably won't be surprised by the results (mostly not too realistic).

This article is also in line with a show I saw during Shark Week where about four shark experts were shown scenes from the show and explained how a giant fin was probably cardboard, how some of the shadows were wrong in some composited scenes (made from combining clip filmed separately), etc.
The show was quite fun actually and the shark people also had fun.

Physics news on Phys.org
BillTre said:
some of the shadows were wrong in some composited scenes (made from combining clip filmed separately), etc.
Damn. Just damn.

Wow, it's interesting to hear that the new Meg movie may not be very scientifically accurate. I have to admit, I was really excited to see Jason Statham take on a giant prehistoric shark, but I guess I shouldn't expect too much realism.

It's good to know that there are experts out there who are willing to point out the flaws in these types of movies. I remember watching that Shark Week show as well and it was definitely eye-opening to see how much of the footage is actually manipulated.

But I have to admit, even with all the scientific inaccuracies, I still enjoy these types of movies. There's something thrilling about watching a giant shark terrorize people on the big screen. And it's great to hear that the shark experts were able to have some fun with it too.

I think it's important to remember that these movies are meant to entertain and not necessarily educate. As long as we don't take them too seriously, it's all in good fun. But it's definitely good to have a reality check every now and then. Thanks for sharing this article!

1. Is the Megalodon real?

No, the Megalodon is an extinct species of shark that lived millions of years ago. There is no scientific evidence to suggest that it is still alive today.

2. Can a Megalodon really grow to be 75 feet long?

Yes, Megalodon fossils have been found that suggest they could grow to be up to 75 feet long. However, this is based on estimates and there is no way to know for sure their exact size.

3. Are there any living creatures that are similar to the Megalodon?

Yes, there are still large species of shark today such as the Great White Shark and the Whale Shark, but they are much smaller in comparison to the Megalodon.

4. Could the Megalodon be hiding in the deep sea?

It is highly unlikely that the Megalodon could be hiding in the deep sea. Sharks need a lot of oxygen to survive and the deep sea does not provide enough for a creature of that size.

5. Is the behavior of the Megalodon in the movie accurate?

No, the behavior of the Megalodon in the movie is not accurate. There is limited scientific knowledge about the behavior of Megalodons, but it is believed that they were apex predators and would have behaved similarly to modern day sharks.