Mel Gibson Fiasco: Shocking Audio & Movie Legacy

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, the new audio of Mel Gibson shows him to be a racist and abusive. His girlfriend is complicit in these behaviors and it's not clear if they are legal.
Physics news on Phys.org
I might be weird here, but I tend to see actors as I do any other people I pay for their services. I don't really care if the guy who makes my burrito at Taco Bell is a racist. Likewise I don't care if the guys who act in movies are racist so long as they're good actors. Granted, I don't know that I'd use a doctor or lawyer who was racist, so maybe something in my philosophy is inconsistent...

Anyway, there's a lot of shock value to Gibson's comments, but it's not all that unexpected. When he put out the Passion, there were allegations of anti-semitism. These concerns were brushed aside, at least until he was caught driving drunk and blamed it on the Jews. Now he seems to have moved up from anti-semitism to other forms of racism.

The stuff he's recorded as sayin is pretty bad. But I expected something like this, given that he's the guy who started some pre-Vatican 2 Catholic cult.

arunma said:
But I expected something like this, given that he's the guy who started some pre-Vatican 2 Catholic cult.

Really?? :rofl:

Now he seems to have moved up from anti-semitism to other forms of racism.
Why are people focusing on the racist thing he said? There's like 10 minutes of audio of him verbally destroying this woman; he says the "n-word" once and suddenly the entire thing is a "racist rant".
Forget the woman who he was directly talking to, calling her all sorts of names and let's focus on the one racist word he said and pray for those poor souls who may be affected by that word as they go out of their way to watch it on Youtube.

Mel Gibson, original badass.

leroyjenkens said:
Why are people focusing on the racist thing he said? There's like 10 minutes of audio of him verbally destroying this woman; he says the "n-word" once and suddenly the entire thing is a "racist rant".
Forget the woman who he was directly talking to, calling her all sorts of names and let's focus on the one racist word he said and pray for those poor souls who may be affected by that word as they go out of their way to watch it on Youtube.
I didn't hear anything racist.

But he does sound like he's lost it.

Mel Gibson lost it years ago.

I agree that its hard to imagine enjoying a Mel Gibson movie again (but then I made and acted on that decision after the last rant).

The issue for me isn't whether I care or don't care about his rants, its whether I can mentally forget the actor and see only the role. Can't do that anymore with Mal Mel.

i've only seen a few outtakes, but my general impression of this is a couple of things. first, he's obviously mentally/emotionally unstable. and he knows this, and he's apparently in counseling for it. the girlfriend also knows this, and for her own perceived benefit takes the opportunity to set up to record a call and then provoke him for a while.

but unlike britney, i doubt we'll hear any calls to Leave Mel Alone!

i think it was funny and that we should mind our own business. Gibson is a physically abusive and his girlfriend is an instigator and an opportunist. Aside from that i don't care. Ill continue downloading movies regardless of what actors do in their private lives.

Couples who have been together a while, know exactly what to say, to set off their partners. Put some drugs/liquor into the mix, add some money problems and this scene plays itself out in thousands of homes across the world.

I question the motives of the tape. I don't think she is all sweet and innocent . I believe they both need mental help.

cronxeh said:
Ill continue downloading movies regardless of what actors do in their private lives.
If missing out on his movies is too much for you, don't worry, you're in good company. The idea here isn't to sacrifice, it's to get OTHER people to sacrifice.

Having listened to this tape, Mel Gibson is selfish and crazy :eek:

Come to think of it, his girlfriend sounds very sweet

Eh, is this even legal? Did Gibson know he was being taped? And why does any of this matter? There isn't a clear beginning, we can't tell how he got worked up, and now it's all over the Internet.

This doesn't feel right.

I agree Newai, the whole thing just doesn't sit well.

She's way too calm, so you know it was a set up. Gibson's mistake is not hanging up and going over the edge.

I'm confused, the article says the kid is Timothy Dalton's son?

cmon. She is a 40 year old Russian pianist. I bet nobody mistreated her like that before. She is scared.

rolerbe said:
The issue for me isn't whether I care or don't care about his rants, its whether I can mentally forget the actor and see only the role. Can't do that anymore with Mal Mel.

That's pretty much how I feel as well. I can't look at the guy now without thinking, what a jerk!

Did I post the link where he threatens to burn down her house? I think I got the latest one.

There has been the claim that the tapes have been faked, but that doesn't seem to be gaining any credibility. If they were faked, I would expect a clear statement stating explicity that it wasn't Gibson.

Ivan Seeking said:
There has been the claim that the tapes have been faked, but that doesn't seem to be gaining any credibility. If they were faked, I would expect a clear statement stating explicity that it wasn't Gibson.
It's Gibson, but listening to it, part of it seemed to be edited together. But maybe she was just reading a script and talking over him.

arunma said:
I might be weird here, but I tend to see actors as I do any other people I pay for their services. I don't really care if the guy who makes my burrito at Taco Bell is a racist.
Really? If I knew, I'd eat somewhere else.

russ_watters said:
Really? If I knew, I'd eat somewhere else.

You would have starved to death where I live. :rofl:

Not really true now - things have changed a lot - but when we first moved here... whewww. In fact, there were still white-only drinking fountains, in Portland, as late as the early 1970s. The KKK had a strong presence to at least about the same time.

Last edited:
OMFG *panting* this is SO hilarious. I.. can hardly breathe :rofl:

Warning! Explicit language from the most hilarious crazy people in Hollywood:

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I've read, California doesn't allow the recording of phone conversations without the consent of all parties. She could end up in a lot more trouble than Mel. How did RadarOnline get the tape and what was the motivation? If she was just scared, she should go to the police. If she wanted to antagonize him more, I guess making the tape public would work nicely.

BTW, nice one cronxeh. :rofl:

I so disapprove of older men hooking-up with (much) younger women. Poor Mel. Should have resisted. But I can understand it's hard if a young one falls into your lap. Still though, it inevitably leads to problems in the long-run. Why didn't you just ask if her mom was available Mel?

edit: made a mistake. Thought she was much younger than 40. Sorry. Still though, I think the 14 year difference is too much Mel. Common' Mel, say 5, 6, 7 years younger than you should be the max.

Last edited:
HOW does Mel get his eyes going 13 different crazy directions at once? :eek:

Mel Gibson is crazy, in other news the sky is blue and staring at the sun can make you blind.

Oh Thank you. I know a lot of crazy people and none of us can get our eyes going like that! :uhh:

cronxeh said:
cmon. She is a 40 year old Russian pianist. I bet nobody mistreated her like that before. She is scared.

We don't know. I've seen domestic fights where the couple where even threatening to kill each other. Two highly educated, emotionally stable persons, with outstanding job records and performance.

Sometimes things get out of control in domestic fights very bad on both sides. Thing is, when you live with someone for a large enough extent of time, you will learn everything you need to push them into losing temper and hurt them badly.

I personally know women capable of impressive levels of aggressiveness, although in most cases it was indirect (i.e no direct verbal or physical violence- this seems the form most used by man) but channeled through manipulation of relatives, friends, various forms of harassment, manipulation of common assets and children. Those are all forms of violence and aggressiveness direct towards their ex-partner, make no mistake about it.

We don't know much about those two. In any case, making public tapes with domestic fights
may indicate ulterior motives, so she might be not so innocent and scared as she appears to be.

I've never had a heated argument with a friend. Why is it that a man and a woman in a relationship can have obscenely heated arguments? I could never see myself getting that angry at someone I love.

leroyjenkens said:
Why is it that a man and a woman in a relationship can have obscenely heated arguments?

I believe it happens all the time. Mostly though we just don't hear about it. Personally, I believe a significant number of couples have obscenely heated arguments. I mean at least 50% in America since that's the divorce rate and if you're about to get divorced . . . it's probably been obscenely heated.

It's the love thing I think: you give yourself completely and then you're betrayed. That sort of betrayal can cause great emotional turmoil.

jackmell said:
I believe it happens all the time. Mostly though we just don't hear about it. Personally, I believe a significant number of couples have obscenely heated arguments. I mean at least 50% in America since that's the divorce rate and if you're about to get divorced . . . it's probably been obscenely heated.

It's the love thing I think: you give yourself completely and then you're betrayed. That sort of betrayal can cause great emotional turmoil.

50% of marriages in America end in divorce, the other 50% end in death.

lisab said:

:rofl:

I've heard claims that this may have been edited from previous conversations and that the voice you hear isn't even recorded from the conversations the clips of Mel were recorded from.

I.e. everything is taken out of context and edited to make Mel look as bad as possible.

Either way, this women hired people to professionally record this stuff, so she's playing some kind of game here. Probably a good reason Mel is so pissed.

lisab said:

:rofl:

Good one Lisa!

I can somewhat relate with Mr. Gibson's rant. Though I used no swear words. I would characterize my argument with a certain Slavic woman more as "speaking in tongues". I was so angry that not a single intelligible word came out of my mouth for at least a minute.

I became, Charles Manson...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XREnvJRkif0&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XREnvJRkif0&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

My words exactly...

:blushing:

Last edited by a moderator:
lisab said:

Not sure what you mean by that. However I do believe in general, relationships in America are in crisis. Mel and Oksana is a good example. Both he and she are not handling it well because they probably don't know how to handle it better. We'd rather put the Emmy Awards on a Sunday night then a show about relationships, family, and parenting. But I realize many men would bark about about that and find an excuse to do something else.

Relationships take a great deal of explicit and active work all the time. Most couples don't have the time to devote to it with all the pressures and seductions of our modern culture to consume, make money, work and be "economically successful". Many couples just "wing" it: they get into a relationship and don't realize just how big a deal it really is.

Back