1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I The meniscus in a square tube

Tags:
  1. Mar 11, 2016 #1
    Hi,
    I was wondering about the meniscus we get in a round tube, like a test tube or a boiling tube, or even a classic measuring cylinder. If we have a square transparent rectangle with water in - would this at all reduce the effect of the meniscus?
    How else is the effect of the meniscus reduced? I have been researching it and it suggested by putting it in a water bath.
    Does the material affect it? I know mercury inverts the meniscus, but is there any known substance which gives a flat reading?
    Thank you so much, even if you could just answer any one of these it's really appreciated :)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2016 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

With a little Google searching, I found that the choice of the tube's material can give you a flat water meniscus. Search down this page for "meniscus"

http://www.visionlearning.com/en/library/Chemistry/1/Properties-of-Liquids/222

4. Mar 11, 2016 #3

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

That's an interesting question. The physical quantity that matters is the curvature of the fluid-fluid interface because that's the energy of the surface, which is minimized. In the vicinity of the corners, if the corners are sufficiently square (say, the inside corners of a proper cuvette), the curvature can be sufficiently high as to interfere with wetting (movement of the solid-fluid-fluid contact line), leading to changes in the contact angle in the vicinity of the inside corner. As I recall, if the liquid wets the glass, the liquid is 'wicked' up the interior corners, so I suspect the opposite occurs when the fluid does not wet the glass.

http://pubs.rsc.org/services/images...e/2015/CC/c5cc01480h/c5cc01480h-f1_hi-res.gif

It's easy to check- I'll try and remember to try this when I get back in the lab (in a week).

About your other question- the contact angle can be (somewhat) controlled- that is, it's easy to make a surface wetting or nonwetting for (say) water, but it's not so simple to make a surface that water forms a contact angle at a specified angle.

http://pubs.rsc.org/services/images...cleimage/2011/LC/c1lc20388f/c1lc20388f-f6.gif

Pickering emulsions have solid particles pinned at a fluid-fluid interface, in some cases the contact angle is 90 degrees, but I don't know the secret recipe.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted