The MGF of Order Statistics

• Thread starter EngWiPy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Statistics
In summary: There is matching possible, but it is a bit more complicated. You can see that the MGFs are equal when \overline{\gamma} = \frac{1}{\lambda}. So, if you substitute in the values for \overline{\gamma} and \lambda, you can find the MGF for the next order statistic.There is matching possible, but it is a bit more complicated. You can see that the MGFs are equal when \overline{\gamma} = \frac{1}{\lambda}. So, if you substitute in the values for \overline{\gamma} and \lambda, you can find the MGF for the next order statistic.
EngWiPy
Hello,

Suppose we have the following set of independent and identically distributed exponential random variables: [tex]\gamma_1,\,\gamma_2,\ldots ,\,\gamma_N[/tex]. If we arrange them in ascending order we get the following order statistics: [tex]\gamma^{(1)}\leq\gamma^{(2)}\leq\cdots\leq\gamma^{(N)}[/tex].

I need to find the moment generating function (MGF) of the highest order statistics, i.e.: [tex]\mathcal{M}_{\gamma^{(N)}}(s)=E_{\gamma^{(N)}}[\text{e}^{s\,\gamma}][/tex] in terms of the MGFs of the exponential RVs. Is there any way to connect these MGFs?

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you already calculated the MGF for the maximum order statistic? This can be done just from knowing that you have identically distributed, independent exponential RVs. And since the MGF for an exponential RV is pretty simple, maybe there's some way to rewrite the MGF for the max order statistic in terms of them.

techmologist said:
Have you already calculated the MGF for the maximum order statistic? This can be done just from knowing that you have identically distributed, independent exponential RVs. And since the MGF for an exponential RV is pretty simple, maybe there's some way to rewrite the MGF for the max order statistic in terms of them.

Thanks for replying. I already derive the MGF of the maximum order statistic, which is as the following:

[tex]\mathcal{M}_{\gamma^{(N)}}(s)=\,N\,\sum_{k=0}^{N-1}\frac{(-1)^k\,{N-1\choose k}}{k+1-\overline{\gamma}\,s}[/tex]

but I thought there may be more direct way.

Regards

Yeah, that looks right. I am assuming that

[tex]\overline{\gamma} = \frac{1}{\lambda}[/tex] is the mean of the exponential distribution.

The MGF of the exponential distribution is

[tex]\phi(t) = \frac{1}{1-\overline{\gamma}t}[/tex]

The denominator of this looks pretty similar to the denominator of your expression. If you evaluate [tex]\phi(t)[/tex] for a value of t that depends on s, the mean, and k, you can make the denominators match.

I don't know if there's a more direct way. I'm thinking it is only because of the simple form of the exponential distribution that the MGF of the maximum order statistic can be written in terms of the MGF of the distribution of the [tex]\gamma_i[/tex].

techmologist said:
Yeah, that looks right. I am assuming that

[tex]\overline{\gamma} = \frac{1}{\lambda}[/tex] is the mean of the exponential distribution.

The MGF of the exponential distribution is

[tex]\phi(t) = \frac{1}{1-\overline{\gamma}t}[/tex]

The denominator of this looks pretty similar to the denominator of your expression. If you evaluate [tex]\phi(t)[/tex] for a value of t that depends on s, the mean, and k, you can make the denominators match.

I don't know if there's a more direct way. I'm thinking it is only because of the simple form of the exponential distribution that the MGF of the maximum order statistic can be written in terms of the MGF of the distribution of the [tex]\gamma_i[/tex].

You know, I began with the exponential distribution because it is simple, but in my work I am using very complicated distributions like the order statistics of Chi-square random variables. So, I need a general rule that can be used in all cases. Any way, we can derive this general form from matching as you said, but then the question is: is there any matching possible?

Regards

1. What is the MGF of Order Statistics?

The MGF (Moment Generating Function) of Order Statistics is a mathematical tool used to describe the probability distribution of the kth smallest (or largest) value in a random sample of size n. It can be used to calculate various statistical properties, such as the mean, variance, and moment generating function of the order statistic.

2. How is the MGF of Order Statistics calculated?

The MGF of Order Statistics is calculated by taking the product of the MGF of the underlying distribution and the probability density function of the order statistic. This can be represented as M(t) = ∏ [MGF of underlying distribution (t)] * [probability density function of order statistic (t)].

3. What is the importance of the MGF of Order Statistics in statistics?

The MGF of Order Statistics is an important tool in statistics because it allows us to analyze the distribution of order statistics, which can provide valuable insights into the original distribution. It also helps in calculating various statistical measures, such as confidence intervals and hypothesis tests, for order statistics.

4. Can the MGF of Order Statistics be used for any underlying distribution?

Yes, the MGF of Order Statistics can be used for any underlying distribution, as long as the MGF of that distribution exists. This includes commonly used distributions such as the normal, exponential, and Weibull distributions.

5. How can the MGF of Order Statistics be applied in real-world scenarios?

The MGF of Order Statistics can be applied in various real-world scenarios, such as in finance to model extreme events, in quality control to analyze the distribution of defective products, and in survival analysis to study the distribution of event times. It can also be used in reliability analysis to estimate the lifetime of a product or system.